1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Dealer Bites The Dust

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Flappytabs, Oct 21, 2024.

1. My mate who works in law firm which deals with the serious road accident cases. Fatalities and life changing injuries.
    Insurance company investigations and payouts, court cases, coroners, solicitors, police investigation, CPS, loss of earnings…and they go on for months if not years.
    Every death goes through a lot of investigation.

2. The shoes at airports was in direct response to someone attempting to get explosives onto a plane in their shoes. The reality is that the ones screaming loudest for civil liberties such as yourself are also the ones who call for blood when ‘incompetent’ people ‘fail’ to protect the public and allow explosives onto planes. Until you are one who bears that responsibility it is easy to slag them off. Try it for a single day and I guarantee you will have a different perception of risk.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  3. Another +1 for big Nelly, and he's 3-4 hours from me :no_mouth:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. You may be happy with the tyranny that runs things these days under the ‘for the greater good’ banner but I’m not. How many bomba we set off using a shoe? How many were stopped? How many have been stopped? In order for terror to be successful, the majority need to adjust their behaviour for the minute risk of impact. And distrust: we must distrust. A beard, a turban and Middle Eastern skin doesn’t mean someone is a terrorist: 99% of the time it means nothing more than a redneck with a gun isn’t a raving black gating murderer and glycolic klan leader.

Not sure what this has to do with dealers…. Other than it’s the same people making money from it all at the expense and inconvenience of the humble citizen

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. 2m is a regularly quoted number. But it makes so many assumptions and potential double counts.

6. Anyone know what will happen to their stock? They had a lovely V4RS for sale. I presume it will be sold at auction or to other dealers?

7. Very interesting reading, although one thing I can’t get is the ambulance costs for slight and fatal. I can understand they might be the same as neither requires an ambulance but I don’t get the £6 difference in the two.

I know it’s very generic as output would be massively different depending on so many factors but as a base it’s eye opening in terms of costs.

8. Thanks for that link.

I would never dream of putting a low value on life, I value mine highly and feel the same about almost everyone else's (yes there are a few exceptions).

However the figure of £1.2m as a cost to the country of someone dying in a road accident is nonsensical imo. Its arguable that their average tax contributions could be seen as a cost, though I don't agree personally with that either.

9. The tables rely heavily on estimates and statistics, you need look no deeper than that to explain minor differences. In reality, there is little cost difference on paper, for the manpower at the incident scene to deal with a fatal and a minor injury, however morbid that might appear. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. There should -imo- be a large gap between the authorities protecting the people from probable danger and everyone losing their rights to live as they choose and accepting the risk for the associated benefits.

Wherever possible people over 18 should be able to make their own choices, that don't impact on others..

#131 Jez900ie, Oct 26, 2024 at 11:01 AM
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2024 at 11:49 AM
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. that don't impact on others.
    kinda like a manufacturer to choose to issue book times for dealerships to do warranty work (a large proportion of dealership work) that doesn't come close to covering the true cost of the repair on top of all the other overheads in running a fully equipped workshop. forcing dealerships to charge v,high prices prices per hour overall making their product even less desirable/accessible.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Don't forget most people want to maximise their income and minimise their outgoings. Which is why the cry of " How Much" is always raised when discussing service costs.
    They always forget they are paying someone else's wages.
    If you aren't happy with the price do it yourself

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. You certainly have a point, but the price disparity between well known, highly qualified independants and dealerships is such that the cry of "How effing much" is justified!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. That’s what I find strange, the sad reality is that the input for a fatality from the ambulance service will be very limited, as it would be for a minor injury. I presume the costs reflect a standard emergency response with no transfer to hospital hence the similarity. Just struck me as odd.

Going back to the dealers, I went past Ducati Worcester this week and there were vans outside, presumably to remove stock. One had ‘RJD’ on the side. Did a quick search but couldn’t find anything obviously bike or liquidation related. Very sad to see it shut up like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. I’m not sure it’s the fact they want to do this it’s the fact that unlike cars whilst in warranty you are required to be locked into the manufacturer’s network.

16. 50 odd years of lost income tax would be a start

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Lock Thread Lock Thread x 1
  17. I thought the government put a value of £120,000 on a life . Thats what they are paying out at the moment I think.

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Do you think that the average person is paying £3300 a month in taxes and costing the nation nothing?

That would mean the average salary would be £80K per year when in reality it is £28K.

19. Add in all the other taxes the average person pays (council tax, tax on fuel, VAT on pretty much everything they buy in their lifetime), I bet it wouldn’t be far off, by the time they’ve been retired for another 20 years on top. Then add in the profit they make all those companies and the tax those companies then pay, it’s probably more than £2m.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information