1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone ever changed the Gearing on their Ducati?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Goody, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Ta. Sounds nice and simple then!

It's a long way off for me at the moment but I'll look at doing this when the time comes as the bike I tested did seem to have long gearing.

2. How did you find it after that? A better choice than changing the front?

3. Gearing was lowered on my 916 after a couple of seasons. Can't remember the sizes but smaller front I think. Yes, it gave it more acceleration (recommended and implemented by my garagiste).

Haven't bothered with changing the gearing on the 999 as it accelerates easily enough on the road as it is. Is it worth bothering on the 1098 / 1198? You've got even more torque and power to play with as it is.

Personal prefs no doubt.

4. I like it and I think it was worth the top end sacrifice, I'm not too sure if I really notice the increased acceleration to be honest but the revs and power both seam to be in the right place now, and it feels a lot smoother at real slow speeds too.

I don't recall riding an 848 with a 14 on the front to make the comparison.....but I could have unknowingly? I'm happy that I spent the extra and I did it the way I felt was better, but there's loads of people that will argue the cheap front sprocket, which can be a bar steward to get off, method is better.

I put a quick release sprocket carrier on the back at the same time, so I also have the benefit of it taking 5mins to change to another rear sprocket/gearing.

Pays yer money and takes yer chances, me thinks.

#24 XxAnthxX, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  5. I did it on my 1098 and I will defiantly do it on my 1198

6. I've just changed mine today oh what a difference im a happy bunny !!!!

7. Which way did you go and by how much?

8. I went 1 down on the front so from 15 teeth to 14 it cost £27 from pro twins and it's the best £27 I've spent on the bike , it can actually be ridden though town without shaking its nuts off

9. Dont know , Read Cant remember , about the single swinger but the 749 came with a 14 tooth sprocket as standard the 999 had 15 but the swingarm were the same.

10. There is a problem with the sprocket sizes on the 916 / 748 bikes, on the 748 with a 14 tooth front, if you run with even a mildly slack chain it does cut into the bottom of the swingarm and trash the guide as 470four does suggest, has this carried over on to any of the other models?

11. Just put a 14t front on my 1089 Streetfighter.

The std gearing is the same as the 1098 Superbike AFAK so not alot of good on a naked bike. Don't need to be doing 170mph (or whatever it is) on this thing.

I wasn't too sure about going down 1 on the front at first. Sounded too much. On the Streetfighter there isn't alot of clearance between the tyre and the swingarm. So if i were to put a bigger rear sprocket it would move the tyre closer still. Not good!!

It's soooo much better. Really woken it up. Not such a pig in town. The shunting at low revs seams a bit better and it wheelies like a B'Stard. It'll loft in 3rd if you catch it right.:biggrin: Bumping into the limiter a bit more though.

Easy job. Took maybe 1/2hr.

Really don't care if there are any wear issues, i like to think it's negligible anyway. I'll let you know when my swingarm gets chewed up.:wink: The bike's not my daily driver so shan't be putting millions of miles on it anyway.

12. Don't think it has or other wise the 749 wouldnt have had one as standard. I dont run one on my 999 as I believe that it is better to go up on the rear but others do and , unless someone knows different , I dont think modern , as after the 916/748 series , suffer from worn swingarm. The op dosent actually say what bike it is but if its a later model ,:eek:, then im sure the 14 tooth sprocket will be fine.

13. If lowered gearing is so much better, and it seems that it is, can anyone tell me why Ducati don't do it from the off? Is it so that the bike looks good in top speed tests compared to the competition? Fuel economy? Noise?

• Like Like x 1
  14. good point!

15. Bikes are deliberately over-geared to enable them to bumble by quietly at lows revs in ride-by noise-testing at say - 70mph. :smile:

16. Think I said in a previous post... IMHO/experience the 848 really benefits from dropping a tooth on the front.
    I tried it on my 1098 and it made the bike way too busy...Certainly for Miss Daisy here...:biggrin:

470four is correct, all about keeping the EU boys happy.

Anyway get the fook out and ride yr bikes...:cool: I was out at 7.30 this fine morn, only back 'cus I have to go and look at even more flippin' furniture! :frown:

#36 Nelson, Jul 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  17. You could always put a longer chain on and your wheel will stay where it is and your wheelbase won't change.....Simples!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information