1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arai sun visor kit - Anyone got one?

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Majvs, Feb 8, 2014.

1. @Majvs Can I have the link or item number please? Fancy one of these myself.

2. The listing I bid against was a private seller with a buy it now or best offer. If you search on E Bay you'll find quite a few all around the £45 mark with free postage. I put a cheeky offer in and it was accepted hence the price I paid.

3. Got one free with my new Arai and expected the kind of problems that people are asking about but have found that it works pretty well for me and is handy for those evening rides where you are in and out of the sun heading west.

4. Mine arrived yesterday. Marked for SAI helmets only and fitted the RX7-GP perfectly. The black visor is not too dark and locks in the open position. The brow vents are a bit flimsy compared to the standard visor but overall it doesn't look too bad on the helmet.
    To deploy in the down position the instructions say that it needs to be unlocked by pulling forward slightly at both sides, presumably using both hands. That's not going to happen on the move and Im certainly not going to stop every time I want to use it. So it will need to work with one hand or not at all. I'll try it out this weekend and report back.

5. You can do it with one hand... doesn't stop it looking silly though :p

6. Give the new visor a good try out today.
    In the up position it doesn't cause any additional turbulence, is no noisier and doesn't apply any noticeable extra wind pressure to your helmet. It acts like a mini peak shading the sun to a certain extent.
    The dark visor locks in the up position and needs to be pulled forward slightly to allow it to be deployed. It can be done quite easily with one hand with a bit of practice.
    Pulling the dark visor up can also pull up your main visor as well unless it's locked.
    The dark visor itself isn't that dark and not that much darker than my light reactive pinlock. However, the pinlock doesn't change from dark to light (and visa versa) as quick as the visor can.
    I couldn't get on with the brow vents which didn't seem to have much effect open or shut. I also haven't tried it in the rain yet but to be honest for the price I paid its not bad at all. Hate to think I paid £100 for one though!

• Like Like x 1
  7. My biggest bugbear with it is the trapping of bugs between the two positions.

8. I also got one free with a new Arai last year. I took it as my only visor on my recent 1300 mile trip from Wales up to the Outer Hebrides in mid may. I was also expecting lots of problems with it... but actually found it works really well. The weather very changeable as you'd expect, ranging from pi$$ing rain round Glasgow, through strong side winds on Lewis, to clear skies and sunshine in Applecross, Dornie and Glencoe.

Verdict: I actually really like it. I didn't have any problem with it in the rain with water being trapped etc. Also there was no noticeable buffeting with it flipped up at motorway speeds. It was nice not to ever have to wear my sunglasses. At the hint of any brightness I just flipped the visor down, job done. It's not as dark as my sunglasses, but 'good enough' and probably on a par with some other internal sun shades going by others I know with different lids. Very convenient to use.

Bad points? Well the visor vents are a different design and not as easy to use as the standard arai ones. The look cheap and nasty by comparison too. I wouldn't have paid £100 for it - I'd just keep using my sunnies at that price! But I can see it staying on the lid for the foreseeable future.

I guess it's not for everyone, but it worked well enough for me in all the conditions I encountered on my trip, and my sunglasses didn't get used on the bike at all.

Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information