1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Average Speed Cameras

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Nigel Machin, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Give me his address and I'll post him one of these [​IMG]

2. A timer?

To switch them on and off?

You know what, I'd rather feed the horses elsewhere.

3. It annoys me too when I'm cruise controlling it at 50 but I just think go go faster hope you get a ticket to them
    I tend to hog lane 2 ;)

On the M25 I just follow the fast cars and when they brake I know the camera is on :D

4. What if they don't know?

5. It's worked so far

6. image.gif

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. To be honest I usually stick to the limits on the M25

8. My strategy is to do 56 and set the cruise control on. I've never got nicked yet (touch wood) and you do get to gently pass some of the more law-abiding citizens. I base this the old 10%+1mph nicking threshold AND the fact that my speedo over-reads by 10%, so I calculate I should be safe.
    And yes, please get out of my way if I'm behind you and you're doing 50mph on the dot, according to your speedo! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Exactly what I do.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Question time, do you guys stick to the speed limit in the roadworks purely due to the threat of prosecution? Or is it the safety of the workers which affects your choice of speed?

• Like Like x 1

11. for me its the first one, as anecdotally in the majority of places where these are set i don't ever see any workers ( they may work times other than when i pass through). If i do see workers, once my astonishment has subsided, then yes i do think about them, and where lane space permits, sensibly move away from where they are working.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Speaking for myself ...
    The posted speed limits are entirely arbitrary. They are often far too low for people who pay attention to what is going on around them and usually far too high for those who don't.

My first consideration is the safety of those immediately/potentially affected by my actions, then my risk in respect of prosecution and finally ... ah, no that's about it. The posted limit itself is largely meaningless without context - see the two considerations I've just mentioned.

Oh wait, no. I always adhere to the speed limits regardless. Sorry officer.

My only accidents involving other road users, or impacting upon their safety, have all been well within the speed limit and have been demonstrably 100% their fault when the incident occurred (NB, I am not expressing an opinion here :)). Not only was it their fault, there is no realistic way in which I could have avoided their stupidity, except by staying off the roads entirely.

I am now going to quietly rage to myself.

13. Government intend to fine councils/firms who leave restrictions/roadworks in place for "too long" - but it won't apply to motorways!

14. Maybe it's an illusion but at least much of the time there appear to be no workers whatsoever

15. The Average person needs an average speed limit. The average person can afford to pay the fine and the average person will break the limit. The Average person loves to see average limits. Average living is a complicated thing

16. What annoys me is the tools who sit in the outside lane and won't move over - just because there is an average speed check on the road they think the normal rules of pulling back into the inside lane don't apply.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Yep, behind a merc, on the overtaking lane, no cars on the inside lane. I don't get it. Must be arrogance

18. Interesting answers, the 'I never see any workers' line is something we hear a lot in our industry, in fact we had a complaint along those lines last week. We are currently running 3 jobs in 2 sets of roadworks around 6 miles apart. Between those two sets of roadworks we have around 100 ops working from 7am to around 6pm and yet we get complaints saying there's never anyone working.
    I have a theory that when you are concentrating on driving (or your phone as we see a lot of) people phase out anything that isn't directly involved with the activity...
    I can guarantee you that we are definitely out there working!

19. How tall are you guys?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  20. Road works will if possible, keep you away from the works. You really don't want to hit civil engineering plant. Unfortunately, Civil's men/women are deep in trench boxes, it's bloody hard work. Plant won't pass you or try to overtake.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information