1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battery/rectifier woes :(

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Nelson, Apr 14, 2012.

1. My '03 plate 748E has got a space for the charging light but alas no charging light too :(

2. Right, new battery on and I'm showing a glowing batt red light on my dash.

Rectifier?

3. If the bike will start, using a multimeter see what voltage you're getting across the battery. Amazed you've actually got a charge light.

4. I suggest you follow the haynes manual checks on the alternator and reg/rec.

5. The little bulb was loose, hence not seeing it glow!

I have fitted my 848 reg and still no joy.. I'm guessing it's the alternator, which is a bit of a shock as the engine came from a running good bike, prior to it going down the road.

6. Looks as if my Stator is fooked.... Anyone got one....:rolleyes:

7. I just bought a used one from D&K Motorcycles for £53.
    There are a few on ebay and new ones from Wemoto for £80 or so.

If you haven't read the article I linked to yet, I suggest you do as its very informative about the charging circuit and its recommended to rewire the new stator with 6mm2 wire, then relocate the reg/rec to the license plate holder as it gets cooked in the original location.

I've just bought the cable & stuff to do mine this week.

8. Yes mate, gave it a read... Which bike are you doing? 996?

9. Yeah 996 2002.

10. OK - re tested the Stator...Looks ok, need to set the meter to the correct ACV :rolleyes:
    Across the batt with bike off I'm getting 13.05V
    Tickover this goes to 13.50.
    No significant change when reved?

Any thoughts?
    Whole thing could just have been a Fooked battery?

Anyone fitted a dash DVM to their bike? Any recommendations? All the ones on ebay are way too chunky!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information