1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Belt Tensioner Slipped: Should I attempt to rebuild a blown 900ss engine?

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by ck_uk, Mar 3, 2014.

1. If its of any help I have some used spare std valves, if you are anywhere near nottm and need a hand let me know.

2. Thanks Spike.

3. Ok guys, I'm now in a position to get serious with this rebuild. I need to strip the engine completely, and I'm going to get the cases blasted and re-powder coated, unless anyone can recommend a better treatment. Then replace/rebuild the gear shaft, and put the whole unit back together again. Currently the engine is out, heads are off, alternator cover is off, clutch still in situ.

Questions
    1. To get the clutch/alternator out what tool do you use to lock in place?
    2. Is the puller for the alternator casing a special tool?
    3. What other tools do I need to get this job done? I know that I need a hydraulic puller of some sort to remove the primary gear, not really wanting to spend £150 on the ducati tool.
    4. Do I need an engine stand to do this job properly?
    5. What else do I need to consider?

4. For the engine case i just made one out of a piece of alloy bar drill and tapped for center bolt to draw it off,i used a impact wrench to undo all the shaft nuts clutch crank etc but you can stick a 2p piece between the primary gears to undo them,drawing the primary gear off the crank is a bitch,mine ended up 15 feet across the workshop with the hydraulic puller,try one of your local engineering companys im sure one of them will do it for you.

5. So, you have the heads off, whats the damage?
    My opinion, dont blast the cases unless you want to block EVERY orifice, if you get beads in the engine its curtains, clean it with brushes and elbow grease then a coat of etch primer finishing off with topcoat, powder coated cases look shite, and they get HOT!

6. I forgot the piston ring compressor....it can be a tricky job if you dont have 3 hands so i made this from some thin alloy sheet and a couple of cable ties,a couple of pieces of wood will do if you dont have a engine stand. 20140730_121526.jpg

7. Thanks chaps, great info

In truth I've ended up with two engines. On the engine to which this thread originally relates, the damage runs to piston and valve mashup on one cylinder only. Plus whatever shrapnel made it's way around the engine as a result.

I managed to acquire a replacement engine which is in good shape but the one of the gear cogs needs replacing. The plan is to make one good engine out of the two. To be honest, I'd like to restore both to full working order. But as I would like to get the bike back up and running this side of Christmas, I'll focus on the one. So I need to split the cases on both engines regardless.

Spike that's interesting about the powder coating, I just assumed that's the way to go for the best finish as it seems to be what every pro shop does.

rcv4, I love those home-made tools!

8. my mate who is a painter came to see me today,he has started using hi temp ceramic paint,too late for me but its worth looking at,i steam cleaned my engine paint stripped it and used rotary wire wheels to finish it off,the top end was blasted.

9. What sort of blasting and what are the costs involved?

10. glass bead for the top ends,depending how badly the corrosion is,you need to tape everything up you dont wont blasting,i left the covers bolted on and left the barrel and heads together in one piece,not sure on price mine was a job for a job deal,when you strip the engines keep all the parts for each bottom end separate,and keep all the shims in order,it can be a pain.

11. Well i just hard a ball park quote for blasting, £40 per crankcase half. Powder coating is approx £500 so I won't be doing that.

12. I've just used enamel paint on the belt covers on my 400, and I used Halfords own engine paint on the rest. The paint is really good if you like a shiny finish, the 750's engine is the same, there is photos in the gallery.

13. I polished my belt covers.........they're shiny too........... :p

14. Can we see a pic?

15. Look in the gallery..............oh, OK, and below..........

ALs bike 1.jpg

Do Not Sell My Personal Information