Bikes with 'aura'

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by philoldsmobile, Nov 16, 2012.

1. I had the pleasure of owning a MV 350 electronica and that was purchased purely on aura appeal

2. One of these for me please!, (to keep the Multistrada company of course), can't decide if a used limited edition "SE" model is worth about £3k extra than a new sport? there's a few "SE's" currently for sale at around the £16-18k mark which seems a hell of a lot of money to me!. A new "sport" is about £13.5k on the road but from what I understand theres a 18 month waiting list. All of the 200 SE's that were made have been sold.
    Anyone got any experience with these? what do you think the future values of them will be?- an investment or not?.

$T2eC16NHJIkE9qU3jcd3BQjEGdY4tw~~60_57.jpg

$T2eC16NHJIkE9qU3jcd3BQjEGdY4tw~~60_57.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. You've missed the point Multi1200, this is a motorbike site, not the stock exchange.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Just looking for some opinions on the thing, everything else i buy becomes worthless overnight!!!!! - just thought I'd get a more unbiased answer than if I'd posted this question on a Norton forum.

5. Mate has bought one of those special nortons, replaced his 1098R. First ride, first roundabout, pegs down. So adjustment needed...

6. For what you'd spend on that (imho truly abysmal motorcycle) you could buy a nice "real one" from the seventies and save yourself a lot of embarrassment. I just don't get that new Norton. At least not for the money, makes no sense at all.

7. I saw a brand new one at a bike night a couple of years ago, not that impressed. The engine was very, very noisy, even by air cooled standards and the horrendous squealing from the brakes was down right frightening.
    As for the value? I don`t see them being anymore of an investment than say a Thruxton.
    Retro bikes are a bit of an oddity, imo. Modern bike riders are slightly interested until you tell them it no older than their bike. Classic riders know what it is and generally shun you "cos it`s not a proper one."

8. I think mine has an "aura". It certainly attracts longing looks and good comments whenever it's parked somewhere :upyeah:

9. Best way to avoid that is to buy something worthless to start with... a 20 year old CBR 600 will do everything any reasonable road rider will ever ask of it, and much more competently that you'd think, so if future values are an issue you can always go that route. With newer bikes depreciation is just a fact of life, and the newer the worse. For what its worth, I'd expect the Norton to hold onto its value very well. I'd gladly sell my soul for one..

10. The new Norton just doesn't do it for me. To me, its a bit like the Hesketh was, a flawed bike, built in small numbers. There will always be someone who wants one so it will always be worth something, but the majority of people won't see the point.

There are plenty of other bikes that handle better, go faster, show more design and engineering flair, look better and are much cheaper so what's the point?

I will be the first to agree that all of the above objectivity has no place whatsoever when it comes to your choice of bike.

11. Yamaha Morpho

Yamaha-Morpho1.jpg

Yamaha-Morpho1.jpg

12. i believe you woldnt be allowed that in the republic of ireland as they dont allow abortions down there...:upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  13. multi1200 - I would do a search for customer feedback about the new Nortons. I read some pretty grim reports a while ago about long delays with orders, poor communication from factory etc. Of course, I have no first-hand experience of being a Norton customer nor can I confirm that the reports I read were actually correct. You'll have to make your own mind up.

14. sounds like a diet of Ducatis and Bimotas would be the perfect training ground for the prospective Norton owner!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information