1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bikesafe

Discussion in 'Trackdays & Rider Skills' started by catweazle, Mar 28, 2012.

1. being the operative word.............

there is no doubt that the general focus tends to miss the content and go straight to the marketing or sexed up delivery..............crack that and you can charge however you want

2. Aw.. Leave poor Mac alone... He's misunderstood.

From my personal experience, I've never done a bike safe course but think it would benefit me to. I'm a sh1t road rider.

I did do an IAM ride out a few times. Was bored with all the line of stern, MSM, road positioning at 30mph stuff. so gave up.. Think they probably enjoyed it more without me! Nice peeps, but wasn't my cuppa tea.

3. Attended a Bikesafe day with Avon & Somerset yesterday and I have to say it was quite enjoyable. The coppers were friendly, approachable and not too serious.

The morning was spent in the class room going through a bit of theory and watching a few videos and the afternoon out on the road. It was three students per instructor rotating the lead with stops for feedback.

They didn't even mention my dark visor or small number plate and there were a few others with quite loud pipes too.

Everyone who attends a course also goes into a free draw to win a bike plus several runners up prizes of kit and helmets.

All in all not bad for £35.00

4. It got downsized in the recession :mad:

Whassat then?

Eh?! I've been wearing thermals on my morning cycles for the last few months! Though it's getting better, I didn't have to wear three layers this morning...spring is on its way!

5. Sounds flippin' bargain too me!

6. For those that might be interested
    National Bikesafe on 20/4/2013 1 hour assessment and 15 minuets track experience at Castle Combe for £30

7. As you mention it's National Bikesafe are there any other places other than Castle Combe doing this? If so where and when?

8. Would have to put my standard cans and airbox cover on for Coombe, even then they might blackflag it... :frown:

9. Could be a loss leader for Castle Combe to encourage track days, its the only one on bikesafe web page it may encourage other tracks to participate

10. Did a Bikesafe a few years ago, also with Avon & Somerset (course based at Haynes Motor Museum).
    Really good day, and plod were all proper lads.

Bud

• Like Like x 1
  11. Some more dates for Bikesafe in 2014, still only weekends unfortunately.
    [TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]Mar 9 2014 8:00AM (Hampshire Fire and Rescue Station, Winchester)[/TD]
    [TD]Book Now[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Mar 23 2014 8:00AM (Hampshire Fire and Rescue Station, Winchester)[/TD]
    [TD]Book Now[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Apr 13 2014 8:00AM (Hampshire Fire and Rescue Station, Winchester)[/TD]
    [TD]Book Now[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]May 18 2014 8:00AM (Hampshire Fire and Rescue Station, Winchester)[/TD]
    [TD]Book Now[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Jun 8 2014 8:00AM (Hampshire Fire and Rescue Station, Winchester)[/TD]
    [TD]Book Now[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Jun 29 2014 8:00AM (Hampshire Fire and Rescue Station, Winchester)[/TD]
    [TD]Book Now[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Jul 27 2014 8:00AM (Hampshire Fire and Rescue Station, Winchester)[/TD]
    [TD]Book Now[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Aug 17 2014 8:00AM (Hampshire Fire and Rescue Station, Winchester)[/TD]
    [TD]Book Now[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Aug 31 2014 8:00AM (Hampshire Fire and Rescue Station, Winchester)[/TD]
    [TD]Book Now[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Sep 14 2014 8:00AM (Hampshire Fire and Rescue Station, Winchester)[/TD]
    [TD]Book Now[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Oct 5 2014 8:00AM (Hampshire Fire and Rescue Station, Winchester)[/TD]
    [TD]Book Now[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Oct 19 2014 8:00AM (Hampshire Fire and Rescue Station, Winchester)[/TD]
    [TD]Book Now[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

12. Couldn't agree more. Did mine in 2011 - plod not worried about the dukes rather fruity exhaust or my dark visor (bright sunny day) and were absolutely fantastic. Highly recommended

13. Free in Wiltshire (Devizes) and I live in Somerset, didn't matter one bit. Asked for the assessed ride to take into account I have passed my IAM, ie don't pull the punches. Excellent day and even saw the police rider I Was allocated in action when he pulled a women in a car, who, in front of us, overtook on double white lines on a blind bend!! I would happily do another bike safe.

14. Ive done a few of the Bikesafe days (Avon and Somerset, Dorset and the Wiltshire one with Castle Coombe). Both A&S and Dorset were excellent.

I was advised to do some advanced training and am in the middle of my RoSPA course at the moment. It's hard to stick to the speed limit :)tongue:) all the time and Im ironing out bad habits rather than significantly changing my riding (road positioning, cornering, hazard awareness etc). I have found that the retired Police riders who do the RoSPA give you more leeway in terms of technique as long as its safe, whereas the guys who wanted to ride for the police but never did (and cover 30,000 a year on their GS's) can only follow the rules as per 'THE SYSTEM'. It can get frustrating!

15. Bikesafe is a great way to improve your riding and will let you enjoy your bike better. We'll worth it. Don't dismiss IAM. They don't all have beards and GS's! Well, not all... And are really keen to keep bikers alive and have fun at the same time.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information