1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Featured Billy No Mates Tour 2024

Discussion in 'Touring' started by johnny, Jul 9, 2024.

1. Hi,did the nc 500 a couple of years ago on my XDiavel,I fitted one of the expensive alarm locks every night,and had no problems.We stayed in hotels and b+bs,none of which advertised secure parking.You can spend the rest of your life worrying about it getting nicked.........

PXL_20220526_160412864.MP.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. I'm in agreement with this, be sensible...attach some locks...and enjoy the trip. I did the NC500 on my 999 a while back..no troubles at all. I even left all my bike kit on it at a remote hiking trail head parking for 2 days while hiking. :upyeah:

3. Just avoid town centres. Most pubs have a yard you can stick the bike in, or a garden out of sight.

4. You could take one of these with you. Protects the bike from the rain and adds security.

I have still got one that I bought for the Fireblade, for use on trips away. Took it away a few times, but got fed up with carrying it. And you had to be careful where you parked the bike, as a car driver would likely not see it at night and might knock the bike over. So I never used a car parking space when using this cover.

One morning, started packing it up and this huge moth flew out at me - made me jump !! :D

upload_2024-8-12_20-8-11.png

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. yep, nice one chaps, pretty much what i worked out

now the hard bit, finding someone to go with

6. I'd worry about being able to find it in the morning.......

7. Imo you need a lot of luck with the weather if you're heading to Scotland,great roads, fantastic scenery especially the west coast,but we spent most of the time riding in wet weather gear, I'm glad we did it but I'decided to head south in future.....

8. Security is a valid subject. I always have a couple of locks on and (in my opinion) most important is a sheet to cover up, keeps the weather off and eyes off what's underneath

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Secure hard luggage is a bonus but maybe not practical if on a sports bike. When touring I tend to keep away from towns anyway, otherwise, on the occasions when I've not, I look for hotels with off-street parking. Certainly on the continent they are pretty bike sympathetic and will be very accommodating. Have had hotels let me park in courtyards and on more than one occasion the owner has opened his own garage for us to park in. Have done the NC500 three times, and toured every year on the continent since 2010 and a few times before that, and had no issues whatsoever. Be cautious/sensible, pack a decent disk lock. I also have/had alarm and tracker (next bike will too) for peace of mind.

10. When planning tours I look for hotels with off-street parking, even if I have to pay extra for it. If the place is in the middle of nowhere then I will happily park on the road or pavement. Use Google streetview to scope out the place and its environment.

11. Parked a 1098s in the garden st the hotel Europa in Bourg d’Oisans one year. Big thunderstorm during the night. Next morning the Ducati alarm unit was full of water. Played up constantly after that. Finally ripped it out in a hotel car park just north of Milan some three days later.

12. I always check for covered parking when booking. Alos U lock and chain to slow the fuggers down.

13. Locks for sure, but it's amazing how many toerags won't look under a cover. ;)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information