1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

British Indy: What Happens Now?

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by Loz, May 23, 2015.

?
  1. Full Brexit with "no EU deal" on the 29th March.

2. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a general election and new negotiations.

3. Request Extension to article 50 to allow cross party talks and a new deal to be put to EU.

4. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a second referendum on 1. Remain in EU or 2. Full Brexit.

5. Table a motion in parliament to Remain in EU WITHOUT a referendum.

6. I don't know or I don't care anymore

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. The UK is a net contributor to the EU project but enormous financial hits like the Euro bailout would certainly have no effect at all on the level of our contributions. As the UK is not in the EuroZone.

I too would need to see evidence that the UK has paid towards the bailout, directly or indirectly.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. I'll tell you how the view is from Switzerland, and from everywhere within the EU:

Total incomprehension.

Why, they ask, is the UK making problems for itself? What has the EU done that it should be despised to the extent that the UK wants to leave it?

They think that the UK is shooting itself in the foot

They really don't understand and they are saddened by the whole thing. The UK is admired and people want it to be part of a greater thing and that thing is greater because the UK is part of it.

That is what it looks like from here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. At least once. The country voted to end free movement but it hasn't been enacted because to do so would make Switzerland a pariah state in the centre of Europe. The government is trying to save the country from itself - it has no intention of bankrupting the place. There will probably be some second vote on the issue to align democracy with economic realities. There will have to be. But people are not endlessly bleating on about democracy being betrayed. It's just common sense.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Funnily enough about living in the past, I think you will find remainers are obsessed with the old days of colonialism, most brexiteers realise from history, that is not what we want and that is why many see that is the path the eu are on and we don't want to go down that path again

How have we turned our back on our neighbours? We are simply cancelling the contract with the management company to have our own property but and I do stress this, ALL along we have said we wish to remain friends to eu countries and their people, how is that turning our backs?

On some of your points I'm surprised at your lack of knowledge

Stronger collaboration with other police services on transnational crime, Stronger collaboration with anti-terror services in Europe

As with the underfunding of nato by most european governments so expecting the Americans to pay the lions share, the intelligence and security services of most european countries has been woefully underfunded knowing that the U.K. have been paying for and doing the lions share of this. This is why one of the eu's first demands was to retain access to OUR services, the last thing they need is to loose their only 5 eyes member. It's also worth mentioning that europol was the eu's vanity project because interpol was already in place and covered worldwide and all of europe so we retain that membership.

Continued investment in the poorer areas of the UK (EU grants)Farmers kept afloat thanks to EU subsidies
    Giving us back a bit or our own money, even more so as for many years, the U.K. has been the largest financial contributor to the eu, eu's own figures

Guaranteed markets for UK farm exports (lamb, fish etc)
    The idea no one outside the eu eats lamb and fish etc is rather silly

Biodiversity increases thanks to EU efforts to promote hedgerow planting etc
    Increased collaboration with scientists on research projects and inclusion of British scientists on European projects. Increased knowledge flow

Like so many of these remainer claims, it works both ways my brother and we have some of the worlds leading fields

Seamless trade across borders making it easy to source European goods and export British goods
    Cheaper EU goods such as wines, olives, veg etc etc

The seamless trade benefits multinationals more than individuals, it's no coincidence the gap between joe blow and the multinationals has increased beyond control and needs to be addressed. It also forgets that we think our food is cheap because the eu places heavy heavy tariffs on non eu countries to price them out of the market, in a similar mafia protection racket.

The list could go one but you fall for the remainer approach everytime of listing percieved bad things then imagine only the U.K. will be effected as one way traffic

As to how others see the U.K. and don't understand? I'm not so sure, I am sure more in europe understand the last voice the people have, democratic votes.

#26944 noobie, Mar 9, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Wrong, talked to loads of people about it over Christmas in Czech, all could understand why we were leaving and thought we were doing the right thing, but said they couldn't afford as a country to do the same... you are starting to sound like Dukey now which is quite astonishing for a man of your intellect :thinkingface:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Right, Loz, Exige, AirCon, Noobie and perhaps Topbox and Alan, I'll leave you to continue joshing while I go to the gym.

I may be some time.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. That’s quite a list, and perhaps you have missed some.
    Though to me it looks a bit ‘padded up’ with things like easy to travel / buy a house abroad (that’s playing into the hands of leavers saying all you care about is your retirement a bit.)

Reduced mobile phone bills, that’s why the younger generation voted remain I reckon.

I think the problem is, like you’ve said in another post here, the EU aren’t going solve the issues like knife crime. someone posted a list, that included this, of problems in the U.K. So shouldn’t be used as an argument for remaining ?

8. Go easy dude :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Peace you say.

I’d like to say, yes that’s all I want. But that would make me sound like a miss world contestant

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Mr J Biker - yes he is starting to sound like Dukey - to the point I thought he had been hacked :yum

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Security services being linked and working as one surely benefits us. The UK has serious knife crime problems, not down to the EU. OUR government needs to Govern properly and stop tinkering on the edges with sound bite politics.

• Like Like x 1
  12. You are funny :joy:

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Yes, I agree.

Perhaps I am mistaken, but someone posted a list of U.K. issues, including knife crime, and it read to me as if they were suggesting these things are related to brexit. I was trying to say they are not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. I watched the recent bbc2 programmes on the eu, quite informative as they had all of the key players within the eu from all sides and unusually for the bbc, did not seem to have any bias, most unusual. in one of the programmes it covered the euro bail out.

It's true when asked directly, U.k. help us out, Cameron said no as it was not our currency however, the largest supplier of funds to bail out the euro was from the European Central Bank and we do, as well as a number of non euro using countries, still contribute to the ECB and of course being the second largest financial contributor to the eu, our percentage when turned into actual money, was substantial

This was again repeated in 2014 when the eurozones inflation rates were seen as an issue and this saw from 2015, the eurozone pumping in billions into a quantitive easing subsidy, largely funded by the ecb which we again contribute too every year. The eu stopped buying it's own stock in December last year and during that period of 4 years, they spent over 2.6 trillion euros propping up the european project and it's economies and euro, almost entirley funded by the ECB
    https://www.worldfinance.com/bankin...confirms-end-of-quantitative-easing-programme

This explains why the european central bank may once again, need to use european peoples money invested into the ecb to prop up europe and the euro again soon
    https://www.sharesmagazine.co.uk/ar...ore-quantitative-easing-to-hit-top-gear-again

So to surmise :D
    Was non euro countries money used to prop up the euro? directly, no, indirectly, yes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Cool, careful not to strain a muscle with all them gold bars :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Given today's increased level of equality and multi doodah'd binary sexual thingymajig, you can be anything you want to be :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Jeremy corbyn yesterday, self identified as a woman. Commentators noted it was probably the only way the Labour party was ever going to have a female leader

18. Some political commentators in the US have been calling for Trump to identify as a woman in order that he can become the first woman POTUS.

Once the liberal tears have dried up, Trump could then identify as an orange man again. But the Dems could never then claim the ultimate SJW prize as Trump would have stolen that, too, from them. I almost want that.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. hmm pro Russia?
    The president and prime minister of the Czech Republic are both Eurosceptics, and there has been speculation that the country might follow the UK out of the EU. But, argues Benjamin Whitlock, this overlooks a long history of cultivating a ‘European’ Czech identity, in which the country and its predecessors are placed firmly in a European intellectual tradition. This contrasts sharply with ingrained British Euroscepticism.

In January 2018, Miloš Zeman was re-elected President of the Czech Republic. The openly Eurosceptic and distinctly pro-Russia Zeman seems determined to continue his war of words with the European Union. Last autumn, the populist and anti-establishment ANO emerged as the largest party in the Chamber of Deputies. The rise to power of its leader, the new Prime Minister Andre Babis, bears a striking similarity to Donald Trump’s. Both are billionaire businessmen and managed to take the top job by running anti-establishment and anti-immigrant campaigns. Combine this with the fact that parliament is debating a new law making it easier to hold nationwide referendums, and a Czech exit from the EU looks increasingly plausible.
    .(why are these anti EU leaders always Loaded?)
    But those who confidently predict Czexit may be disappointed. As with the UK, there are clear economic disadvantages for the Czech Republic if it leaves the EU. But that alone would be unlikely to prevent a leave vote. Despite the relentless economic focus of the Remain campaign, economics was not the dominant factor in Britain’s Leave vote. Rather, identity appears to have been key – and it is how Czech identity relates to the idea of being ‘European’ that will shape the outcome of any Czexit referendum.
    from this
    https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2018/03/13/czech-attitudes-toward-europe-how-likely-is-a-czexit/

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. An odd thing to imply the Labour party exclude women? The entire membership of the Labour party choose their leader, its a democratic process. Unique in that respect too.

Conservative MPs314 Female 63 20%
    Labour MPs 254 Female 115 45% (57% of the total Female MPs in government)
    SNP MPs 35 Female 12 34%
    Independent 11 Female 8 73%
    Liberal Dem 12 Female 4 33%
    DUP DUP 10 Female 1 10%

Do Not Sell My Personal Information