1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

British Indy: What Happens Now?

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by Loz, May 23, 2015.

?
  1. Full Brexit with "no EU deal" on the 29th March.

2. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a general election and new negotiations.

3. Request Extension to article 50 to allow cross party talks and a new deal to be put to EU.

4. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a second referendum on 1. Remain in EU or 2. Full Brexit.

5. Table a motion in parliament to Remain in EU WITHOUT a referendum.

6. I don't know or I don't care anymore

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Nope, just pointing out when the snp says scotland voted to leave, 38% of them didn't

night night, don't let the bed bugs bite

2. And if they do, bite them back!

3. So the news this week, from my time capsule one week ahead.
    • Mrs May's revised deal (99.9%) the same as the last one, was rejected by the commons by a majority of 170, with just 4 abstentions.
    • The vote on leaving on the 29th March without any deal was rejected by 155 votes, with a large number of abstentions.
    • The vote on asking for an extension to Article 50 was passed by 113 votes, with a large number of abstentions.
    • On hearing this news Mr. Barnier fell over while reaching for a young female news reporters bum. Those present said he looked very tired and emotional, glassy eyed he then stated "you could always stay, hic..... ", then fell asleep.
    • Brexiters are baying that democracy is dead.
    • Remainers claim a victory, saying that Brexit is effectively over.
    • The EU is wanting some concessions on the deal in return for a 90 day extension.
    • Spain wants a deal on getting Gibraltar back.
    • The SNP want Indie 2 because in their religion Easter is a time of renewal.
    • Mrs May is saying "now is not the time to appear weak, strong and stable, I'm listening".
    • Labour are calling for a vote of no confidence and this time the ERG / DUP and others may vote with them as there appears to be no other way to get rid of May.
    • Mr AirCon places large bet on End of May, being the end of May, however Mrs May agrees to resign by June to avoid loosing Labour's motion.
    • The Conservative leadership process has started.
    • Truth be told we are no closer to bringing this can of worms to a conclusion.

#27043 AirCon, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. This is a Senior Civil Servant's view, of the Civil Service. As printed in "The Times"
    I can reveal Whitehall’s secret Brexit plan: stop it dead
    anon
    Far from impartial, the civil service is heavily biased against leaving

The four core values of the civil service are honesty, integrity, impartiality and objectivity. Before joining the organisation I had believed, naively, that these values would be upheld unconditionally. I very quickly came to learn that, in relation to Brexit, nothing could be further from the truth. Unfortunately, I must remain anonymous for fear of the backlash I would receive at my place of work. However, I can reveal that I am a senior policy professional within the civil service and work closely with numerous governmental departments.

There are a number of extremely dangerous myths regarding civil servants that I must dispel because of the impact they are having on the Brexit process.

Myth 1: the civil service is independent. The civil service was founded on the pillars of political neutrality. Civil servants are meant to ensure that their own political persuasions do not affect their work. Crucially, they should accept those from all political leanings and points of view.
    It has become clear to me that the vast majority of civil servants support “remain”. From my own observations I would estimate this number to be well over 90%. This is worrying in itself and far from representative of the 52% of the population who voted for Brexit.
    Most horrifying, however, is the sheer disdain and utter contempt that my colleagues display towards people who voted to leave. I have lost count of the number of insulting and derogatory terms that are used in my own department and elsewhere to refer to the 17.4m people who voted for Brexit: “racist”, “stupid”, “uneducated”. Anti-Brexit jokes and snide remarks are dropped casually into everyday office conversations.
    I live in fear that my colleagues will discover through a slip of my tongue that I am a Brexiteer. Were this to happen, I genuinely believe that most would refuse to talk to me again and that I might even lose my job.

This entire culture creates a thickening cloud of negativity towards Brexit that shades all areas of the civil service. I have witnessed first-hand civil servants doing everything within their power, subtly and under the surface, to frustrate Brexit and talk it down at every opportunity. This can only seriously undermine our efforts to be in the strongest position possible on leaving the EU.

Myth 2: civil servants are experts in their field. One would like to think the individuals making decisions that affect our entire nation would have some level of skill or experience. If only that were true. For example, I know of one standalone “expert” policy team leading our preparations for Brexit. You can imagine my disbelief when I discovered none of its members had worked on anything remotely related to the EU before.

In fact I have discovered over time that the vast majority of “experts” within the civil service have no expertise whatsoever. In many cases the “portfolio” that you take on when you join the service is dictated by the one held by your predecessor. As a result you have new civil servants inheriting politically sensitive and highly important work without the faintest clue about what they are dealing with.
    Civil servants who are seriously underperforming will usually have a new job title and position created for them somewhere else in the organisation instead of being sacked or performance-managed — they become someone else’s problem then. Given the influence that civil servants are exerting over the Brexit process, this is truly concerning.

Myth 3: the civil service does not engage in scaremongering. I had hoped that civil servants, even in times of crisis, would be able to remain calm and level-headed in pursuit of ensuring the best outcomes for our country. And yet it is not uncommon for me to receive emails from colleagues promoting Brexit scare stories that are nothing more than lies and speculation.

Recently, things have become so panicked that various “Brexit contingency” plans have been set up throughout the organisation. This is to prepare for the “national public transport breakdown”, “surge in criminality” and “widespread public unrest” that is going to follow March 29.

These plans also involve collecting the personal details of certain civil servants to put in place a 24-hour on-call rota for the “emergency” that is looming. This scaremongering, created and whipped up by civil servants, is having a marked impact on the confidence and wellbeing of ordinary citizens. For example, one acquaintance of mine is so terrified by the speculative threats put out by the civil service that they have already started to stockpile large quantities of their medication. This needs to stop.

Myth 4: ministers are in charge. When I was outside the civil service looking in, I always believed that civil servants were there simply to advise their ministers, who, as elected representatives of the people, would make the ultimate decision. However, I have come to realise that ministers are often mere puppets with civil servants pulling ferociously at their strings. The level of bureaucracy is unimaginable. In my experience parliamentary briefings go through — at a minimum — five stages of internal clearance, with crucial information being amended or deleted at every stage on the whim of that individual civil servant.
    The power and competence of our ministers is, I’m afraid, a facade. They are nothing more than a megaphone for the views of biased civil servants who lurk behind them in the shadows.

I am a long-standing believer in and supporter of the “leave” campaign. Not so long ago we celebrated the 800th anniversary of Magna Carta. The UK has been built on the pillars of democracy and we have the greatest legal system in the world. It is absolutely shameful that while we remain in the EU our parliament is no longer sovereign, our Supreme Court is no longer supreme and our nation is no longer self-governing.

To go against the will of the people expressed in the 2016 referendum would be the ultimate act of betrayal.

We are good enough and strong enough to stand on our own two feet. I am, therefore, calling firmly on the UK government to allow us to take back control by leaving the EU on World Trade Organisation terms. Anything other than this — be it an extension of article 50, a second referendum or Theresa May’s pitiful deal — and we will have been betrayed. And if the people are betrayed, I may have no choice but to resign from the civil service altogether.

Honesty, integrity, impartiality and objectivity: we will soon discover

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. We have an unelected civil service and an majority of elected house of commons trying to stop brexit and a democratic majority vote of the people wanting brexit and to leave the eu

It will be interesting to see how the politicians spin this one next week with the votes

• Like Like x 1
  6. I'm pivoting 180°.

I hope you do leave without a deal at the end of the month.

You will then all be delighted, at least the, yawn, 17.4 million of you who desperately want this.
    There will then be no more ambiguity. Everything that is a bit crap in the UK will be entirely down to you - the voters - and no one else. It will all be refreshingly honest.

This is called schadenfreude, but as it's a German word, you won't need to know it any more after the end of March.

Yo! String out the bunting! Close those streets! Bake a cake! Wave those union flags!
    You're on the brink of getting what you've wanted your entire lives (or as long as most of you can remember)!
    Celebrate!
    You're gonna have a party - all night long!

Only a few more sleeps now.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love You Love You x 1
  7. That was a long session in the Gym :eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. far better than living with the Schrödinger's cat box of "change is possible" that the eu wants us to believe exists. That's german too ya know

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. The gold bars take some lifting

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Do you ever move beyond cliché?
    Maybe that's why you're so keen on Brexit.
    British bulldog values, eh?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  11. as you have just done with the British bulldog values? sometimes :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Irony...
    No, it has nothing to do with pressing clothes...

Whatever.

• Love You Love You x 1
  13. [​IMG]

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. So whats coming up next?
    Any day now a Unicorn will arrive in Westminster with free passes to "the largest free trade area in the world, which stretches from Iceland to Turkey" as described by Toady Gove (though he hasn't mentioned it much lately) .

Then John Redwood will turn up in a magicians outfit to demonstrate his promised trick "Leaving would be "quick and easy" because "the UK holds most of the cards in any negotiation," though the Conservative party HQ declined to coment on whether these cards have actually been located.

Liam Fox possibly regretting his prediction that a trade deal with the EU would be "one of the easiest in human history." is said to be hopeful that future historians will consider his claims to be true under the concept that its the thought that counts. He has defended his other promise notably "one second after midnight in March 2019" the UK "would have 40 trade deals in the bag" saying that the UK doesn't need any other agreements now that the Faroe Islands, Palestine & Switzerland are signed up.

After this, the votes for Mays deal will probably fail. Then the extension starts, and the shit show continues for at least another three months. Ideally May will fall on her sword and do the decent thing but given her record its debateable.

In other news Rees Mogg is said to be preparing for a second referendum with a speech entitled "I told you it was the best thing to do in 2010"

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  15. then of course there is disco dave.
    DAVIS: “She needs to bring back a clear ability on the part of the United Kingdom to be able to leave this treaty when it chooses to. There is no other treaty in the world I’m aware of where a sovereign nation undertakes to join up and can only leave when the other side says so.”

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Its so hard for May to demand changes to the agreement she put forward. The EU agreed to Mays backstop, and now she claims its their fault!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. aye, when it comes to May and many brexiteers, The hypocrisy and sense of British exceptionalism is off the charts. The American conservative writer William F Buckley Jr. once said of an opponent, “I won’t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.”

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. I've been quite amused watching Tory Ministers spouting off nonsense in the media or House, getting ridiculed, and then claiming they "misspoke". Karen Bradley “I do not believe what I said, that is not my view" is a classic!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Fin always makes it about Scotland bless him, he's like our very own Kardashian just trying to keep the public image alive :D

This week will be interesting, it's getting to the stage that everyone knows Mays chequers deal is hated by everyone and and won't pass, this is why the eu will offer nothing as it knows she does not have the support to carry anything out.

a second referendum I doubt will happen as enough mp's know that this will set a precedent that will see the politics of neverendums and no actions being taken incase another vote is demanded on anything, this brigs the country to a standstill and whilst the idea may tempt the opposition, in their head they maybe in government one day and it might bight them in the arse.

Delaying then? the remainers in parliament are so arrogant that they think the eu will grant it, I doubt they will, eu elections coming up soon the last they they want is to be twats in public over brexit then mr nice guy at home, the public will see that double standard plus they want it over with too.

So what's left? The deputy irish prime minister said the backstop will never be dropped and will always remain in place, the eu still thinks this will stop brexit, the U.K. government needs to do something to then get to 2022 election with "see what we did and we are okay" thankfully we are running out of options and so a proper leave the eu to match the vote is the only option because our own politicians do not want to be known as the ones that sold out democracy.

The hypocrisy and sense of British exceptionalism is off the charts...you haven't forgotten you're still British fin have you?:D

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information