1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

British Indy: What Happens Now?

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by Loz, May 23, 2015.

?
  1. Full Brexit with "no EU deal" on the 29th March.

2. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a general election and new negotiations.

3. Request Extension to article 50 to allow cross party talks and a new deal to be put to EU.

4. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a second referendum on 1. Remain in EU or 2. Full Brexit.

5. Table a motion in parliament to Remain in EU WITHOUT a referendum.

6. I don't know or I don't care anymore

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. "It used to be a joke. If a country had a referendum that went against the will of the EU they were asked to do it again to get the “right” answer the second time.
    Those who want to Leave the EU have always looked on this overbearing attitude to the electorate with a shudder. Leavers have always been afraid that the same disease would strike our democracy one day.
    The disease happens when our representatives no longer represent us but represent their own self interest. When senior politicians see their loyalty being to party and backers, not to the voters.
    Brexit has exposed the disease more clearly than any other recent event. Parliament held a Referendum, confident that the electorate would vote to Remain in the EU. When the Referendum returned the “wrong” answer Theresa May promised that “Brexit means Brexit” and Jeremy Corbyn said he would “respect the result of the referendum“.
    In 2017 Theresa May inserted paragraphs (the early form of the NI “backstop”) in the draft Withdrawal Agreement that she knew would alienate the DUP. Corbyn now says he will back a second referendum.
    The EU Referendum was clear, the English backed leaving the EU by a wide margin and even the local politics of the Scots and Irish could not overwhelm the tide of opinion to Leave the EU. The first Referendum was fought on the basis of Project Fear versus Brexit. Project Fear maintained there was a risk of £120bn loss if we left the EU. So why have May and Corbyn changed their minds? They say that they want to “save” the UK from the risk of £120bn loss due to “No Deal” but what really happened is that they had the power to block the Referendum. They could do as they wished, not as they had been asked to do. They could represent themselves and not the electorate. The electorate had said clearly that they accepted the risks that they were being “saved” from.
    When representatives go rogue there is only one response that a sane electorate can take. They must never vote for them again. If we vote for them again they will be much stronger in their conviction that power is theirs and not delegated to them by us. If we vote for them again after they become “EU” in their attitude to democracy our country will never recover."

http://www.dailyglobe.co.uk/comment...JFIpmQNUE5BUKN_g8y62bKO8ooDqkFTfkl2le2-zNJGf8

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Please don’t twist my words. I said ...

The vulnerable will suffer most of all and it is the hardening of attitudes towards such people in the UK, Europe and the US that worries me as the populist narrative of hard-line Brexiters, Trump, the Front National, the AfG etc. advances.”

... THAT is what I said is evil.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. about 2% of all the the laws and directives agreed across the EU have been opposed by the UK
    one of them being the changes to rules around Tax havens.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  4. I was a student back then. Many of us striked in support of the Miners, and took trips to the pits to stand with them on their picket lines. Thatcher was almost as evil as the hard right of today IMHO.

• Like Like x 2
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  5. Ding Ding - when does Round Three Hundred and Fifty Eight start ?

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. So maybe “No Deal” will die today

Will the overnight concessions be enough for May to get her deal through? It is farcical that MPs only have hours to consider the impact of the most important vote of their lives.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. And sadly it will cut both ways. There will be fewer migrants here. The UK will be culturally and economically poorer for it.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. upload_2019-3-12_7-49-45.png

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  9. [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. Again I have no idea if you are correct, but probably right, people take a gap year in an Eu country and then some perhaps move there at a point in their life that suits.

I'm not convinced that any form of brexit will stop people traveling in the Eu, are you saying after Brexit it won't be possible to do so ?

• Like Like x 1
  11. So do we think the 'Withdrawal deal' will get voted through?

Then we can move on to:

Brexit Future Trade:What happens now?

12. Most Brexiteers harp on about this but can’t cite a single instance, and those that can are only able to point to a few examples all, like this one about tightening laws on tax havens, where the EU position was actually better for most people than the UK position.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Whats farcical is how the kids in parliament have squbbled amongst themselves for their own gains and not got on with doing what they had pledged to do for the country in their own party manifesto’s. Thats why we’re in this position, but then again they and the EU knew this and can now sit back and watch as any hope the people who voted to leave the EU melt into a farcical ‘we’re out but we’re actually still in and in a worse position than we started in’.

#27353 Drinky, Mar 12, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Didn't @Loz post a few examples ? Not necessarily affecting the UK, but other EU countries ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. The Attorney General will confirm later today but early reports are that May has only secured something that reduces the risk of a never-ending backstop, but doesn’t eliminate it.

Will that be enough for the DUP and the ERG? It would seem not if they are anything like as intransigent as the populist hard-line Brexiters on here.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Will the EU council ban them, they sound like lovely people :bucktooth:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Looking forward to the AG hamming it up today, whatta total knob.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Don’t you worry, it will be farsical - your remainer self centred MP’s will see to that for sure :):upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information