1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

British Indy: What Happens Now?

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by Loz, May 23, 2015.

?
  1. Full Brexit with "no EU deal" on the 29th March.

2. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a general election and new negotiations.

3. Request Extension to article 50 to allow cross party talks and a new deal to be put to EU.

4. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a second referendum on 1. Remain in EU or 2. Full Brexit.

5. Table a motion in parliament to Remain in EU WITHOUT a referendum.

6. I don't know or I don't care anymore

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. All sounds very bad for the planet all this moving stuff around :thinkingface:

2. BREAKING: @guyverhofstadt on Brexit - there will be NO A50 extension without clear proposal agreed in HoC first!

• Like Like x 2
  3. true, lets look for markets to export to at the other end of the planet.
    *FacePalm*.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Another cracking contribution. Cheers.

Like the noobster, plenty opinion, no links to how things will be better after Brexit.
    Just carry on with your fingers in your ears believing Brexit with no deal is great.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. yeah!.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. To a certain extent, it really is that simple.

I dont profess to talk for all businesses, but i do talk from daily experience of selling, importing and exporting certain products around the world.

We have buy prices for all products, then we have 'landed prices', the latter quite simply being buy price converted to sterling + freight + any tariffs or duties

With the removal of certain tariffs undoubtedly many of our products will get cheaper as the landed cost will/may reduce, and as we apply margin from landed costs if we were to stay still and make the same margin as we do now then realistically we could actually reduce pricing on lots of items should some tariffs swing our way.

That will definitely make certain products in the UK market cheaper, thats a fact i can state as i set the UK sales prices on many of our products.

Of course that may be offset in the very short term IF sterling swings massively, but luckily for us we're in a few financial packages (hedged) so our current system rates are guaranteed for the rest of the year at least. In other words, if the £ drops through the floor our buy price in USD or Euro remains unchanged. Other reasonable sized companies will have exactly the same ability and likely better rates than us.

That said, some products sourced from the EU will probably get more expensive if all of a sudden an import tariff applies, and should that be the case the UK market either accepts the pricing or they don't, thats when our sourcing team will look at new avenues unless the EU suppliers have wiggle room in their margins. Selling a 3rd less items at a new inflated price of £1000 makes little sense when the market rate of £750 is whats generally accepted and you can retain previous sell through

Theres little point in getting upset about Tariffs as they already exist in many ways, its just that not everyone sees them or has any dealings with them.

Eventually it'll all settle down in some way shape or form and as a business i can tell you one thing, its our european suppliers that have been frantically calling and emailing us desperate to ensure their continued supply in to us, and we've of course assured them that our trade will remain as it is now until it can't, and thats out of our hands.

The biggest problem is for those exporting to the EU, and how those products or components factor in to the manufacturing processes in those EU companies and whether they can simply source elsewhere. They have a different problem on their hands but once again, if possible the change in sterling 'may' offset those tariffs so it all swings in roundabouts.

There will be winners and losers unfortunately.

7. Big fun:upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. So that's your business sorted. What about the rest of business?

9. Exactly the same.

Everything is the same for all businesses and they all agree with each other.

A Remainder told me that!

10. Must be true then. Or is it true if just a Brexshiteer tells you?

It's complicated, all this political stuff innit :/

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. I don't know the answer to that I'm afraid.

I'm merely saying that it's not as difficult as many would perceive and yet it does have obvious implications.

There's no 'I'm alright jack' attitude here, christ we're barely a massive company ourselves.

All I'm saying is if people take a breath and calm down its not an insurmountable process.

There will be price fluctuations on loads of stuff, but there have been for decades, just depends on how close people look and how much notice they take

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Quality goods and object d'art innit?

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. I reckon he exports unicorns but is too embarrassed to say.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Indeed they are quality goods my good man

15. Ffs Loz :)

I import Unicorns, I export rocking horse shit.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. I'll tell you what will happen soon.....

....the Remoaners will force the UK to Remain, one way or another; then the Tories will be wiped out at a fairly imminent General Election; and Comrade Corbyn's mob will 'take charge'.

Cue Remoaners MkII with something more serious to moan about.

Whoever has the last laugh is open to offers.

17. You are, of course, correct. It's not insurmountable. It's just a fuckery that we can all do without and won't see any benefit from, (if there is any) for 30 years. By which time I'll be pushing up the daisies along with 80% of the other buggers on here.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. Hang on a minute...

I thought it was the other way round and only true if one of the well educated remoaners said so ?
    All brexshiteers are thiko’s :)

It’s the unicorns that complicate things.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Did you just threaten my life?

Post reported to DB. Your titchy ass is toast, Hell Tee. Gonna burn!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Yeah, come on @damodici ? Are you gonna defend yourself here?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information