1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

British Indy: What Happens Now?

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by Loz, May 23, 2015.

?
  1. Full Brexit with "no EU deal" on the 29th March.

2. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a general election and new negotiations.

3. Request Extension to article 50 to allow cross party talks and a new deal to be put to EU.

4. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a second referendum on 1. Remain in EU or 2. Full Brexit.

5. Table a motion in parliament to Remain in EU WITHOUT a referendum.

6. I don't know or I don't care anymore

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. NHS wont exist in its current form in 10 years time.

As to the State pension, since i have paid into it for 35 years then I am entitled to it though I suspect even that age will keep moving further and further away under the Tories.

2. Good. It can't survive in its current form.

• Like Like x 2
  3. do you mean with its current lack of funding?

4. Poor Funding, poor management, the Governments insistence on imposing contracts on staff and the small fact that currently 10% of its doctors and 4% of its nurses are EU nationals who may well be told to go back to where they came from if some have their way. That's ignoring the fact that another 14% of doctors and 10% of nurses have passports from outside Europe altogether.

5. Ive no idea how anyone in their right mind can think the end of the NHS is a good thing. Its one of the very few things this country has left to be proud of.

6. You're reaction illustrates the problem in a nutshell. The NHS needs urgent reform. And so do our expectations of it. It is monumentally wasteful, bureaucratic and poorly managed. But its been such a sacred cow for so long that nothing can be done to improve or modernise it without someone shrieking that to touch it is too destroy it. So nothing gets done and the problems it already has become entrenched and worsen and bit by bit our health care and clinical outcomes slip further down the world rankings and the bills rise steadily higher.
    If your bike wasn't running right and was doing about ten miles to the gallon you wouldn't be thinking how can I find more money for petrol, you'd investigate the problem and get it fixed. If you love the thing you owe it to yourself to take a spanner to it when required. But we're not allowed to do that with the NHS because its been given the deeply unhelpful status of cultural institution and politically its pickled in aspic.
    But that's a whole other thread.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. because of under-funding and a piss poor government thats demonising those that built it for their own personal gain

8. have you got private health insurance?

9. According to Theresa May I am a subversive because I dare to question them. Brilliant. I shall wear that badge with the utmost pride. :tearsofjoy:

• Like Like x 1
  10. According to me, Theresa May is a cunt.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Simply not true as far as I know. Apart from emergencies, entitlement to NHS care seems to depend solely on residence in the UK (or EU, for now) and has nothing to do with any contribution record. Therefore anyone who moves abroad may have some restrictions imposed if they were to come back briefly (e.g. for "Health tourism reasons") but would always be able to return, become resident again, and enjoy the full service...

12. And if your bike happened to be an old Triumph Bonneville, you might look at the nice new ones being made by the reborn Triumph company and think "I'll switch to one of those", rather than "if only we had given more taxpayers' money to the Meriden cooperative".

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Indeed - residence in the UK is not a requirement to receive the state basic pension, which is a benefit paid out to those who qualify based on their NI contribution record.

State Pension if you retire abroad - GOV.UK

The sensitive bit is whether future increases are granted, and that gets complicated depending on where the pensioner lives outside the UK.

That's not to say that anyone "pays into" the state pension, via NI, and then takes back out what they have paid in - it has always worked on the basis that the active NI payers are paying the pensions of those who have retired. The age at which it can start to be paid will probably continue to rise, as long as people continue to live longer - this is true regardless of which party is in government; the figures can't add up any other way. We already have a situation where many people are likely to live so long that they will spend less than half of their lifespan as contributors to the economy (35 years NI contributions is a good example... on average we expect to live to more than 70 these days); remarkably the "old state pension" only required 30 qualifying years for the full amount, and the larger "new state pension" from 2016 will, I think, need 33 or so (obviously there is going to be a prolonged transition period).

14. She doesn't need to wear a badge for anyone to realise that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. I have seen no suggestion that Brexit would mean that skilled EU nationals such as doctors and nurses would not continue to be able to come to the UK and work, and the fact that so many health workers come from outside the EU (and nobody is suggesting that they should be ejected either) proves the point.

• Like Like x 1
  16. If I was buying a new replacement I'd be looking at a German model..

17. [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. because you pay in doesn't entitle you to take out.

for 20 years the whole system has been propped up by the hard working in the UK while the idle accrue their 'entitlement' and the successful (if not self employed ;) ) contribute way over and above what could ever be due back. Then with no g'tee to get anything

• Like Like x 1
  19. It was tongue in cheek :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. So what does entitle anyone to take from the system? If paying in doesn't qualify you then it's a pretty corrupt system.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information