1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

British Indy: What Happens Now?

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by Loz, May 23, 2015.

?
  1. Full Brexit with "no EU deal" on the 29th March.

2. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a general election and new negotiations.

3. Request Extension to article 50 to allow cross party talks and a new deal to be put to EU.

4. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a second referendum on 1. Remain in EU or 2. Full Brexit.

5. Table a motion in parliament to Remain in EU WITHOUT a referendum.

6. I don't know or I don't care anymore

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. He slipped and banged his head ;)

2. On the other fella's fist. Allegedly.

3. and we need to drop this comparison in votes jv. the present scotgov only stands for election north of the boarder. ie only a potential of 4mill. there is zero comparison.

• WTF WTF x 1
  4. No smoke screen just two idiots brawling like school boys. Nothing new in that, plenty of it has gone on in Westminster before now, but it usually involves too much drink in the Commons bar. Not sure if the fact these two were apparently sober in the middle of the day at a party meeting makes it better or worse.
    We know some people struggle to suppress tantrums when discussing political matters but the point of being elected to office is that you're supposed to chosen to rise above the nursery playpen and to have committed yourself to the politics of debate.

Interesting times. Theresa May has deliberately (and shrewdly) stolen policies from both Ukip and Labour to take advantage of the lack credible leadership and electability in both parties. In normal times she might struggle to sell such a mixture to her own party, but these are not normal times and the Tories have an instinct for power. They are very good at shelving (temporarily) internal differences when the door to political power is wide open.
    Ukip is going through an existential crisis because having achieved its defining objective it isn't clear what its for anymore. Nigel Farage carried the party almost single-handedly and you can't keep that up forever but there is no-one with the authority to hold the party together.
    I was briefly a member of Ukip a few years ago and though opponents like to paint it as a party of the right dominated by out-raged provincial Daily Mail readers, it isn't. Because its essentially a single issue party it doesn't have a central ideological philosophy knitting it together and so it really does attract people from across the spectrum who are united by their desire to leave the EU but often can't agree on much else. And that's the problem because there are a lot of conflicting ideas swirling around. Its why I left and why it continues to have so many crises. Its probably why Farage would like to leave as well, but he can't bring himself to step back until Brexit actually happens.

There's a serious point to all this. Teresa May has positioned herself not so much in the centre but astride the political spectrum with a foot planted quite far to the right and left in both camps. Its hard to see how in the long term she can keep her party in such an uncomfortable position and so its very important that there is credible opposition on both the right and the left.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Can't remember and no doubt the question was framed to get the desired answer, but answer it they did.

6. Who mentioned ScotGov ? The parliament at Westminster represents the whole of the UK. On a similar number of votes - SNP 56 seats, UKIP 1 seat. Therefore at Westminster those that voted UKIP are under represented compared to those who voted SNP.

This is an undeniable fact.

I, like the majority of those who voted in the IndyRef, prefer to keep the Union. Which isn't to say that Scotland, and the north of England come to that, don't have issues with the metropolitan elite at Westminster.

7. @finm Fair point, if you view Scotland as a separate entity within the UK, but Westminster represents the whole of the UK and it does highlight the way in which FPTP vs other systems can produce some odd outcomes.

8. ... except metaphorically.

9. "Available"? The SNP are at perfect liberty to stand in any or all of the 650 constituencies, just like any other party. Nobody is stopping them. If they choose to stand in only 59 seats, that's up to them but it is completely wrong to say that the other 591 seats are "unavailable" to them. Those constituencies are only "unavailable" because the SNP does not field any candidates or attract any voters there. The same could be said of dozens of other small parties.

10. dude dude dude. :Hilarious:
    you like everyone else new what i meant but fair point.

11. that would of worked had you put a wee smiley at the end of it.
    it did nothing bar highlight how brain washed as a nation we have become.

12. Meanwhile the pound loses another 2% across all currencies. How long before the B o E is forced to put up interest rates by a few per cent to support the pound even though they know it will trigger a recession? And what will happen to the pound on the day May actually dares to sign Article 50? Lose 10% ? 15? Or even more?

13. That would assume it was a joke. It isn't. They have the same core at heart: self governance. And tactics not too dissimilar. Fear. Dread. Nationalism. Where SNP did well was concentrating on governing by 'foreigners ' where UKIP went for a tactic of 'jobs and crime' message. But emphasis is the same. A country for US governed by US where we welcome others as long as they CONTRIBUTE

14. We need to look at all the British people who contribute very little before we blame immigrants for this Country's problems. I bet the number massively outweighs the number of immigrants doing the same.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information