1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

British Indy: What Happens Now?

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by Loz, May 23, 2015.

?
  1. Full Brexit with "no EU deal" on the 29th March.

2. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a general election and new negotiations.

3. Request Extension to article 50 to allow cross party talks and a new deal to be put to EU.

4. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a second referendum on 1. Remain in EU or 2. Full Brexit.

5. Table a motion in parliament to Remain in EU WITHOUT a referendum.

6. I don't know or I don't care anymore

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Fuck me you're boring, not just deluded.

I didn't vote for the EU taking over, and with our veto powers even if it was on the EU's agenda it wouldn't have happened. But keep believing the chief gammon lies if it makes you feel better!

So, congratulations! :joy:

2. That would be a powerful argument if one for one thing. vote leave had no singular clear plan at the time of the referendum and it still doesn’t.

If it had a plan, be that

No deal
    Norway
    Canada Plus

I would say that argument was irrefutable

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. It's called "Parliamentary Sovereignty" - that thing you were told that you don't have until you leave the EU. :joy:

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. The plan to join the common market was a clear singular plan.. Look how that turned out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I'm stocking up with popcorn, looks like this thread is good for another twelve months.
    Steve

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Guardian reader alert, alert alert :D

Are you Owen Jones?:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. This will go on for a generation. Jobs fucked.

8. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. We gave them a peoples direction using democracy, they have sought to overturn it at every turn.

Were there to be an general election, I suspect a substantial purge of remaining mp's from parliament, mostly on the labour side and the whole balance of parliament is likely to come back to, the original vote's direction.

Most will know this to be true.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Fucksake. How is Theresa May still the Prime Minister? :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Dear oh dear,

The fact is referendums, particularly one so badly conceived as this (perhaps it was conceived like this deliverately) do not follow democratic norms in the UK. (There’s only ever been three UK wide Referendums).

The electorate is not a competent law maker. Parliament is.

Direct lawmaking (of the people) ends badly. Satisfaction of populist preferences doesn’t make for good law. Legislating for the common good does.

In the UK we do not vote for the wants of the population. What the population wants is irrelevant.

In a representative democracy we vote for our idea of fairness that is then voted on in parliament.

Sticking with what democracy is in the UK, All the referendum did was to give a mandate to instruct the Government to seek a way out of the EU, disentangling the UK from 40 years of social, legal, rights based integration. If that were possible.

No betrayal has taken place. What we see is representative democracy in action.

The problem lies with the referendum itself.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Having Remainers control the Brexit negotiations (May/Robbins) while side lining the Leavers, has poisoned the whole process. A truly awful set of decisions well covered in this detailed article: https://www.politico.eu/article/how-uk-lost-brexit-eu-negotiation/

A long extension is more uncertainty, more damage, more bad feeling - let's not go there! MP's will reap the harvest they have sown in the next GE.

Probably best now, as there is no likelihood of a no-deal, that Article 50 is revoked and we conduct internal warfare from within the EU to change the dreadful future (Macron) plans!

We can be the unruly child at the back of the class with the ASBO bracelet.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Pathetic, shut it Mussolini :joy:

You do know that's wrong, you can't be that stoopid :thinkingface:

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. A good olde York lad at that :):upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. The electorate is not a competent law maker. Parliament is???? You are clearly deluded :bucktooth:

17. Jimmy, I do wish you would stop swapping accounts, I'm having trouble keeping up :D

This is not true, the vote was leave, not leave with a deal or if possible if you in commons could care too but leave

It will be interesting to see, should a ge take part, how many remaining mp's are removed from their positions as to the level of betrayal

There was no problem with the referendum, it was clear and succinct, leave the eu.

• Like Like x 1
  18. "Status quo"!

You literally could not make it up!

: o D

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. The vote was advisory. Non binding. Political. The Gina Miller case tells us so - the decision remained with Parliament as to whether or not to invoke Article 50.

Whether or not remaining mp’s are voted out doesn’t change the form of democracy we have in the UK. There is no “betrayal”. See my previous post.

If we accept what you say, that the vote was clear, then it was clear and thus far not lawfully possible. See my previous post.

You are calling a vote today against what JRM, Raab & Boris termed “vassalage”.

If that is to be believed then it is BJ, Dominic Raab & others who switched to vote for the WA that have taken part in a dereliction of duty today. Not remaining MP’s.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1

20. But you voted for them!!

You have the MPs and PM you deserve

It’s always someone else’s fault

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information