1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

British Indy: What Happens Now?

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by Loz, May 23, 2015.

?
  1. Full Brexit with "no EU deal" on the 29th March.

2. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a general election and new negotiations.

3. Request Extension to article 50 to allow cross party talks and a new deal to be put to EU.

4. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a second referendum on 1. Remain in EU or 2. Full Brexit.

5. Table a motion in parliament to Remain in EU WITHOUT a referendum.

6. I don't know or I don't care anymore

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. See 'LibDems/Nick Clegg' under Google :upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. An interesting article Jez, but the analysis has a bizarre inversion in its logic.

The referendum was to seek the view of the people.
    If the decision was ‘Leave’, the Government would seek the best deal, and various options adopted by other nations were listed.

The argument you publish appears to now expect the best deal to be identified and provide as much ‘Leave’ as that allows, even if that effectively results in ‘Remain’.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Why are we concentrated only on what Leavers may possibly have thought?

What about all the confused Remainers who believed they were voted for some imagined "status quo"?

The minority of deluded Leavers who thought there might be some marvelous Nirvana we were headed towards, where we get the best of Leaving and Remaining, are massively out-numbered by those Remainers who have literally no clue - even now! - where the EU is headed over the next few years.

The trickle of faint-hearted Leavers who would now vote Remain are swamped by the number of Remainers for whom "the scales have fallen from their eyes" and who would now vote Leave.

Not only that but - you Remainders lost the vote - so now dry your eyes and help us restore democracy to this fascist-state paradise of ours.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. I wonder if Alan is referring to the last ge were Jeremy was directed to many university towns by momentum where he said they would kill off uni fees and when asked about retrospectively looking at fees already paid if they won, said it would be something they would look into.

Given the youth base and the deliberate targeting of universities and university towns, would that promise be put on a par with the side of the bus claim?

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Oh dear. Logic bomb. Expect tears now ...

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. There was an earlier lie about college fees from the Cameron-Clegg alliance. The Libs got caned for that little misadventure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. most people dont talk politics. even with brexit many just shake their head in disgust when brexit is mentioned.
    the silent ones will be those that have most likley changed their minds.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. I think you are understanding it all well. People make individual interpretations and choices all the time especially about politics. Its a good thing, and there is no wrong or right.

Thats why it is batshit crazy to claim everyone who voted Leave did so for the same reason.
    If only 2% of the people who voted Leave did so believing there would be Uninterupted Free Trade and now could change their votes to actually have uninterupetd Free Trade, the result would be reversed.

Which also makes Remain (no change) or Leave (change everything) both too strong a reaction to a really evenly split population.

PS Since you haven't found those "changed voters" announcing it here try google search you will find many stories. You can make up you own mind about what you read.

#30768 Jez900ie, Apr 5, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. You accept though that Remain and No Change are mutually exclusive, right?

And that 2% of Remainers could have changed their minds and now would voted Leave?

10. You couldn't possibly know any of that is true.

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. That is an interesting insight.

It doesn't change anything i have said about the possbility of why the vote were cast. Or why the insistance of one interpretation now proven to been unobtainable should be forced on eveyone.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. It is true, for the simple reason that no politician has EVER said it.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  13. Yes of course.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ah, the Face Palm of Abject Surrender. Thanks, Jez!

: o D

15. Which brings me back to if we had a GE and 2% voted Labour for the free UNI policy and they won by 1.9%, but it then became apparent that wasn't going to happen should we have another GE because those people would now vote for me ?

I have had a little google of "changed voters", I linked to an article I found about it a few pages back. That article suggested that a referendum now would give a different result not because people have changed their minds but because the people who are now old enough to vote tend to favour remain.

16. No one ever talks about the 24-year-olds who had voted Remain but who are now 26 and sufficiently mature now to want to vote Leave.

Sigh.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. The referendum was about one issue. Vote Leave & get X. Vote Remain and get Y Voters should be reasonably expecting to get most of either X or Y.

The Labour party were still offerring on 19 Feb 2018
    "Labour will abolish tuition fees, bring back maintenance grants and provide free, lifelong education in further education colleges," said Ms Rayner." If they have won (they didn't) then they would have done what the promised or be thrashed for it at the next election. Just like the Liberals were.

Its of no interest anyway since very few students repay their loans. Which means the taxpayers pay the bills. Effectively the students get Free University. The Tories place high interest levels on the loans, then sell the loans. So the taxpayer bill is much more than necessary.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. facepalm1.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. It was more the principal of it I meant.

20. Surrender that was your SDP guy in Newport. Lost his deposit too. Still he did get 202 votes, The best result for the SDP in a longtime. Don't give up eh?

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information