1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

British Indy: What Happens Now?

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by Loz, May 23, 2015.

?
  1. Full Brexit with "no EU deal" on the 29th March.

2. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a general election and new negotiations.

3. Request Extension to article 50 to allow cross party talks and a new deal to be put to EU.

4. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a second referendum on 1. Remain in EU or 2. Full Brexit.

5. Table a motion in parliament to Remain in EU WITHOUT a referendum.

6. I don't know or I don't care anymore

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. But that's the thing, see the above posts that were more time relevant to voting - and we were not promised 80% of Parliament dead set on dragging this farce out so it ultimately fails and they get what they want, by ignoring the referendum...

Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 06.39.15.png

2. I get what you mean there (I think).

But then how does centralising power in Brussels help the rest of Europe ?

3. More relevant? You can't seriously claim to know what was relevant to 17.4 million voters.

4. which refforendom are you saying is being ignored?
    the 1998 devo reff where they where voting for all the powers that are not reserved to be devolved? big yes for that.
    the 2014 reff where voting no was securing our place in the EU?

5. allan, how much soverignty is loaned to the EU? how much of our GDP goes to the EU and how does that benifit the UK? are we represented there and how many desicions go agains the uk govs position?

6. Could you define many and on what basis?

7. Very little in all cases if my understanding is correct. So why do we need 800 odd MEPs ?
    I think I agree about power being centralised in London, spread it out would be better.
    Do we still need a central ‘headquarters’ though, and if so where ?

8. Not sure what you mean - there was enough coverage at the time - people were largely scared into remain - it didn't work and they voted out, 2.5 years later the remainers are still saying the leavers didn't know what they were voting for, but all the remainers did. It's really quite silly tbh and since then the EU council have shown their true colours, horrible self centred power crazy people they are :eek:

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Please note - I am shit at putting what I think in to words, my apologies.

What I mean is, people where in a position where they thought ‘ok, it could get better for me if we leave the Ep’

Does that makes sense, f’ed if I know.

10. London sounds good.
    Even got the right sort of building and other infrastructure.

11. Leaver voters certainly could have reasonably expected Uninterupted Free Trade, Customs Union & Single Market to be included in a Leave scenario.. Thats what they were regularly told by the Leave campaigners. I've posted film of them saying it repeatedly.

Perhaps you didn't. That isn't relevant. People were promised it.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. No need to apologise chap at all.

13. Are you saying then that remain voters wanted to remain without knowing the varying levels of remain options on the table?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. After 40 years its arguable that Remain voters had a good idea of what the EU is about. Still the Veto is available and the country can contact government and cause change.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Using that, could you also see that the same nation over those 40 years in the eu, would have enough to see it is not what they voted for and as such had a democratic majority vote and decided to leave the organisation that is the eu?

16. The veto will no longer exist soon, it will be a majority vote only.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. I am trying to come up with an understanding of why folks voted the way they did. In order to do this, we need to delineate the range of reasons that might exist.

Leave Voter Spectrum:
    • Leave no matter what - dislike of EU style of government, resistance to being subsumed into EU superstate, dismay at EU economic downturn, etc
    • Leave but only if we get a good deal, better deal, good enough deal, etc - otherwise Remain - but respects the democratic vote of 2016
    • Leave because they want Boris for PM, they are a Little Englander or Russian Secret Agent, etc or some other irrational reason, but essentially had no idea what they were voting for

Remain Voter Spectrum :
    • Remain no matter what - hatred of UK, single-minded focus on Freedom of Movement, fearful of independent UK, fear of economic disaster, etc
    • Remain because on balance, the EU is good idea, more advantages than disadvantages - but respect the democratic vote of 2016
    • Remain because they have literally no idea of what they are voting for, no interest in finding out, they believe that Remaining represents a non-existent status quo.
    Non-voters
    • Non-voter - no idea on the issues, happy to follow the majority view
    • Non-voter - unable to get to a polling station (can we agree that this is a discountable minority?)
    • Non-voter - somehow believes that by not voting, they get Remain (I am definitely discounting this category, no matter what @shadow says)

I am trying to limit the number of categories and keep them as broad as possible. Can anyone think of any useful additional types that cannot easily be lumped in with the above?

STOP PRESS: Looks like Shadow deleted his account. Shame, he was funny!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Aren’t we going further back now, please correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t one of the reasons Cameron called the referendum because the Ep wouldn’t agree to some change or other ?

19. Question for fin because it effected you

Those extreme remainers who say leavers did not know what they were voting for despite the option being on the ballot paper remain or leave, fin can I ask

In 2014 and the Scottish referendum, the question on the ballot paper was "Should Scotland be an independent country?"

What did you expect that to mean had yes won?

20. Of course. The people were offerred Remain or Leave with Uninterupted Free Trade, Customs Union & Single Market. Its easy to see why people might find that attractive.

Problem arises when suddenly after the votes are counted that half the deal is renaged upon.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information