1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

British Indy: What Happens Now?

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by Loz, May 23, 2015.

?
  1. Full Brexit with "no EU deal" on the 29th March.

2. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a general election and new negotiations.

3. Request Extension to article 50 to allow cross party talks and a new deal to be put to EU.

4. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a second referendum on 1. Remain in EU or 2. Full Brexit.

5. Table a motion in parliament to Remain in EU WITHOUT a referendum.

6. I don't know or I don't care anymore

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. I heard him today on James O’Briens show. Most illuminating, especially his comments about Brexiteers cavalier attitude to Ireland. Something which has been exhibited on this very forum also.

JoB also has a guy on recently who worked in the official Leave campaigns HQ who also had a change of heart.

How come the ERG want to change their mind about the PM and the public are not allowed to change their mind?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1

2. But never, ever going to happen. We were never going to get free trade access to the EU. That was dreamland fantasy stuff.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. As remainers I agree - like all your MP colleagues - but we would have, nothing more definite, because if not EU business would have suffered more than ours :yum it's simple economics - you lot keep popping up when others have scurried away defeated - v.strange :eyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Can you give some examples of scaremongering that have not come true?

I can give plenty of examples of predictions that have come true

Irish border
    Sterling collapsing- now recovering since no deal is off the table
    Business closing down and moving abroad
    Banks shifting £billions of cash abroad
    Bank of England spending billions in additional QE to stabilise the economy post Brexit vote
    Out of Galileo
    We all will need driving permits to drive in the EU
    No more E111

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Crap Crap x 1
  5. Can you explain to me how my company paying an import duty on my next BMW company car is going to affect BMW?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. You are a crazy kid :cool::upyeah:

7. Not quite. Blaming the U.K. has always been a red herring. The U.K. has insisted from day one it will never return to the hard border of old to maintain its comittment to the good friday agreement. The Republic has said the very same thing but for remainers, when the U.K. says it it's boo boo but when the republic says it, it's like the remainers never heard them say it.

It's a red herring because it is as it has always been, that the U.K. leaving the eu places the republic in a difficult position but the choices are for the republic to make should they wish too. Does it respect the gfa or does it fall out with the eu masters who will insist on a hard border on their side?

Even if you bring in the customs union, it will only deal with some matters of trade as you would need the single market to complete it but that allows free movement which is not what the vote asked for.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  8. That sort of thing was what I meant.

The Irish border is a problem in the negotiations.
    Have there been that many businesses closing and moving abroad, or do you mean Honda ?
    Banks shifting billions, the article I saw was saying that it is the banks preparing for the worst, and only a small proportion.

I may be missing your point here, sorry if I am.

I was responding to post 31080, and saying it works both ways.

9. Wow you are certainly bitter and twisted and a gold medalist in the moaner stakes yourself. Surely, you are living the good life?

Yep, you'll be fine in Italy, they have no problems. Keeping your money under the mattress? Ciao

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Some interesting German opinions being expressed:
    Germany’s former European commissioner has lashed out at Brussels for pushing Britain into an impossible position on Brexit, while three of the country’s top economic think tanks have called for a radical change in the EU’s negotiating strategy.
    “Brussels has taught us a lesson in how not to deal with a member state that wants to leave. The problem is not on the British side. The problem is on the EU side,” said Günter Verheugen, Germany’s veteran ex-commissioner.
    He told ARD’s Anne Will show in Berlin that the EU’s negotiating team had made a strategic misjudgement, missed the larger issues at stake and should not try to dictate terms fundamentally unacceptable to London: “We’re not losing a member state, we’re losing the weight of 20 member states. We therefore have an interest that we remain the closest possible allies.”

The comments reflect profound unease in German political and economic circles over the Brexit impasse, and the risk of driving Britain into the embrace of other strategic blocs at a dangerous moment in global diplomacy.
    The German economy has already stalled. New manufacturing orders plunged 8.4pc in February compared with the same month last year, and there was no relief in trade figures released on Monday. “Germany is going into recession without a doubt,” said Heiner Flassbeck, the country’s former economic state secretary.
    Brexit is already playing a part in this slowdown, but is nothing compared to the traumatic shock that could occur in a full no-deal rupture, leading to car tariffs and serious damage to Germany’s industrial supply chains, as well as a financial shock that would quickly expose Europe’s lack of capital markets.

“What is the reason to treat the UK like Turkey? It is too risky and does not make any sense,” said Clemens Fuest, head of the influential Ifo Institute.
    “It was wrong for the EU to say that we could not negotiate the long-term relationship until after withdrawal. I thought that was childish,” he told The Telegraph at the Ambrosetti forum of EU policy elites on Lake Como.
    Professor Fuest said the EU should tear up its strategy and offer an entirely different kind of customs union to the UK. It should be under a “joint institution”, with equal sovereign status for the British side and a unilateral exit clause written into law that could stand the test of time.
    “A hard Brexit in the current situation with a downturn already underway is a real danger. We need to overcome this whole division between the EU and the UK. This is going to have an impact on Europe for decades,” he said.

Gabriel Felbermayr, head of the Kiel Institute for the World Economy, said the EU’s Brexit strategy had gone off the rails and should be stopped before it does any more harm to long-term relations with Britain.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Exactly the point that many have been expressing on here, it should have been so simple if negotiated as though parliament wanted to leave and uphold democracy :):upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1

12. And you still don’t understand it

• Agree Agree x 1

13. It won’t.

The largest factor in the lease cost of my car is depreciation. The other costs are reasonably constant. Road tax, tyres, inductance, servicing.

50% of new cars are bought by companies.

It’s not going to make any difference whatsoever. If they need to loose £2000 off the cost they will supply it with pleather, crap tyres and make parking sensors an optional extra. It’s not rocket science. The german car industry isn’t the most successful in the world without good reason.

What is a fact, is that the EU prevents car manufacturers charging more for right had drive cars over left hand drive cars. Being out of the EU we will lose that protection.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. I understand it more than you are happy to concede

How about now answering what I asked you on the 24th of last month and you've avoided ever since?

Missing out just enough so you can claim ignorance is hardly bright but then given your hard border/gfa analysis, it's hardly surprising

Tell me chap
    Who will make the phone call to the contractors to build a hard border on the irish side?
    who will sign a contract with the company for that hard border on the irish side
    Who when built, will monitor and man the hard border on the irish side
    and who will pay for that hard border, the mexicans?

Might help?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-really-refuse-to-build-a-border-after-brexit

15. So they will cheapen their product, then charge more for it for RH drive - can you see where your argument is flawed here. All you are doing is taking ridiculous to try and get a reaction, I do not know why :p now put some more spin on your nice little story (but try not to use the word 'fact' as you clearly do not know it's meaning) Ta :):upyeah:

16. What he does is loose an argument, gets backed into a corner, disappears for a while, then pops back up when all has been seemingly forgotten :eyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Instead of your wind up poop why don't you comment on actual useful content: what are your views on post #31110 which I have copied and paste to save you scrolling up :bucktooth: (just think what their position would have been if we had a strong democratic leader and no Remoaners crying for 3 years) :thinkingface:

Some interesting German opinions being expressed:
    Germany’s former European commissioner has lashed out at Brussels for pushing Britain into an impossible position on Brexit, while three of the country’s top economic think tanks have called for a radical change in the EU’s negotiating strategy.
    “Brussels has taught us a lesson in how not to deal with a member state that wants to leave. The problem is not on the British side. The problem is on the EU side,” said Günter Verheugen, Germany’s veteran ex-commissioner.
    He told ARD’s Anne Will show in Berlin that the EU’s negotiating team had made a strategic misjudgement, missed the larger issues at stake and should not try to dictate terms fundamentally unacceptable to London: “We’re not losing a member state, we’re losing the weight of 20 member states. We therefore have an interest that we remain the closest possible allies.”

The comments reflect profound unease in German political and economic circles over the Brexit impasse, and the risk of driving Britain into the embrace of other strategic blocs at a dangerous moment in global diplomacy.
    The German economy has already stalled. New manufacturing orders plunged 8.4pc in February compared with the same month last year, and there was no relief in trade figures released on Monday. “Germany is going into recession without a doubt,” said Heiner Flassbeck, the country’s former economic state secretary.
    Brexit is already playing a part in this slowdown, but is nothing compared to the traumatic shock that could occur in a full no-deal rupture, leading to car tariffs and serious damage to Germany’s industrial supply chains, as well as a financial shock that would quickly expose Europe’s lack of capital markets.

“What is the reason to treat the UK like Turkey? It is too risky and does not make any sense,” said Clemens Fuest, head of the influential Ifo Institute.
    “It was wrong for the EU to say that we could not negotiate the long-term relationship until after withdrawal. I thought that was childish,” he told The Telegraph at the Ambrosetti forum of EU policy elites on Lake Como.
    Professor Fuest said the EU should tear up its strategy and offer an entirely different kind of customs union to the UK. It should be under a “joint institution”, with equal sovereign status for the British side and a unilateral exit clause written into law that could stand the test of time.
    “A hard Brexit in the current situation with a downturn already underway is a real danger. We need to overcome this whole division between the EU and the UK. This is going to have an impact on Europe for decades,” he said.

Gabriel Felbermayr, head of the Kiel Institute for the World Economy, said the EU’s Brexit strategy had gone off the rails and should be stopped before it does any more harm to long-term relations with Britain.

18. German economy slowing down.
    France is more and less the same.
    UK in the same boat, marginally better due to austerity plans basically since 2008...
    China growt has lost momentum.
    US trade deficit is even bigger.
    Italy is basically for more than a year in recession.

And yet like this "slow down" would not affect UK some are even proud or happy about this happening with our EU partners Where the @@@@ have you been in the last 20 years?? Isn't clear by now that the EU economies are linked and relying on each other (to a certain extent)?
    Best times to mess around.....luckily there is a degree of common sense in the people who actually have access to economic figures.(reffering to 95% of MP's in case it was not clear).

19. Point 1 - where have you seen this? :thinkingface:
    Point 2 - 95%? That means you include Diane Abbott in this, wow :eek:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information