1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

British Indy: What Happens Now?

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by Loz, May 23, 2015.

?
  1. Full Brexit with "no EU deal" on the 29th March.

2. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a general election and new negotiations.

3. Request Extension to article 50 to allow cross party talks and a new deal to be put to EU.

4. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a second referendum on 1. Remain in EU or 2. Full Brexit.

5. Table a motion in parliament to Remain in EU WITHOUT a referendum.

6. I don't know or I don't care anymore

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Why would the Dover : Calais or Portsmouth : Santander border be any different from any other EU/non EU border?

The whole point of a single market/customs union is frictionless trade. If you are not in the club you then have a border which doesn’t allow goods to move as freely.

If we don’t stop stuff what’s the point of taking back control of our border?

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. That was so obviously going to be a major issue when negotiating the UK's withdrawal. It would have been sorted had the EU prioritised a forward trade agreement 3 years ago, instead of refusing and now 'weaponising' the island of Ireland in their own interest. There is no Irish border issue if we have a suitable trade agreement in place with the EU. They knew that. But they still wouldn't talk about the one thing that would resolve the impasse. They will hang on to power (because that's what the EU is really all about) and continue to trample on anyone that gets in their way by fair means or foul. It's an EU contrived mess and they're cynically passing the buck. The UK have stated that under no circumstances will the UK reinstate a hard border, so the issue is meanwhile resolved from our perspective and will be formally resolved when a new UK/EU trade agreement is completed. They have made no reciprocal 'in good faith' commitment. Surprise surprise !! Unfortunately, in order to move forward in any orderly fashion, I very VERY reluctantly think we're going to have to suck it up and accept the 'Backstop' (I feel like cutting my fingers off having typed that btw) and hope an acceptable trade agreement can be reached before it would come into force.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Of course, NI being in a customs union with the EU is the logical answer.

Expecting the EU to change its rules for us because we changed our mind isn’t going to happen. We need to be realistic.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Do you think all JIT components/materials currently come from the EU? Of course they don't. Take a look at Toyota/Nissan/any UK advanced technology manufacturer. Anyway, why do you assume deliveries from the EU will no longer be reliable after the UK leaves? (OK...Just maybe, for a short 'adjustment period' ....or if the EU wants to further screws us about).

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I am meanwhile totally bepuzzled by the complete lack of any serious discussion of the effect of our leaving will have on the EU ??? It would seem that 'their' lives (and of course, the 'Project') will just continue unaffected and we'll shrink away into some dark corner, never to be spoken of again. Its going to have seismic consequences for the remaining 27 ...but we don't hear that message from either our media, or them?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Unfortunately, doing a Finm and separating NI from UK of which (right or wrongly...that's for another day though) it's an inseparable part, means that's a failed logic.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. I am sure you are right and they don’t but that’s mostly landed as a container which is then put on a truck not already on a truck which is being delayed which costs money.

Interestingly many components for the Japanese manufacturing companies are made in the U.K., so wouldn’t be affected by the new border arrangements

8. Maybe in your eyes but not in mine. In my view and it’s just a humble opinion, the tail is wagging the dog here. The U.K. voted to leave and we should have left by now. The only reason we haven’t is because of the DUP and it’s hold over the May.

NI voted to remain, no one in Ireland wants a border of any kind so you are left with upsetting a few hundred thousand DUP supporters who don’t believe in things like The Theory of Evolution or a woman’s right to abortion. Why should they prevent the will of the millions of people who voted leave?

I don’t think most people in the mainland would be bothered if Ireland had a customs union. I wouldnt

But I understand your point and it’s correct from a given perspective. I just think we need to be a bit pragmatic about it

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Good question that.

Perhaps they are not expecting the U.K. to leave the Eu ?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. You say the only reason we haven't left is down to the DUP, from what I see Labour have more to do with us not leaving.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Last time I checked the votes against Mays Deal were a fair few more than if the Labour Party MPs had a unanimous decision and all agreed (which they never do).

Unless you are thinking of leaving under WTO, in which case it was considerably more than that.

Odd then that its all the fault of Labour?

12. It has been coming out of Germany but not reported over here (wonder why?). From a post earlier in the week:
    Germany’s former European commissioner has lashed out at Brussels for pushing Britain into an impossible position on Brexit, while three of the country’s top economic think tanks have called for a radical change in the EU’s negotiating strategy.
    “Brussels has taught us a lesson in how not to deal with a member state that wants to leave. The problem is not on the British side. The problem is on the EU side,” said Günter Verheugen, Germany’s veteran ex-commissioner.
    He told ARD’s Anne Will show in Berlin that the EU’s negotiating team had made a strategic misjudgement, missed the larger issues at stake and should not try to dictate terms fundamentally unacceptable to London: “We’re not losing a member state, we’re losing the weight of 20 member states. We therefore have an interest that we remain the closest possible allies.”

The comments reflect profound unease in German political and economic circles over the Brexit impasse, and the risk of driving Britain into the embrace of other strategic blocs at a dangerous moment in global diplomacy.
    The German economy has already stalled. New manufacturing orders plunged 8.4pc in February compared with the same month last year, and there was no relief in trade figures released on Monday. “Germany is going into recession without a doubt,” said Heiner Flassbeck, the country’s former economic state secretary.
    Brexit is already playing a part in this slowdown, but is nothing compared to the traumatic shock that could occur in a full no-deal rupture, leading to car tariffs and serious damage to Germany’s industrial supply chains, as well as a financial shock that would quickly expose Europe’s lack of capital markets.

“What is the reason to treat the UK like Turkey? It is too risky and does not make any sense,” said Clemens Fuest, head of the influential Ifo Institute.
    “It was wrong for the EU to say that we could not negotiate the long-term relationship until after withdrawal. I thought that was childish,” he told The Telegraph at the Ambrosetti forum of EU policy elites on Lake Como.
    Professor Fuest said the EU should tear up its strategy and offer an entirely different kind of customs union to the UK. It should be under a “joint institution”, with equal sovereign status for the British side and a unilateral exit clause written into law that could stand the test of time.
    “A hard Brexit in the current situation with a downturn already underway is a real danger. We need to overcome this whole division between the EU and the UK. This is going to have an impact on Europe for decades,” he said.

Gabriel Felbermayr, head of the Kiel Institute for the World Economy, said the EU’s Brexit strategy had gone off the rails and should be stopped before it does any more harm to long-term relations with Britain.

• Useful Useful x 2
  13. So stick them in a container and ship them over, even if it’s on the back of a truck going through the Chunnel!

14. Ah, switched borders now?
    Why would a free trade agreement not have been possible when it benefits the EU more? You seem to be arguing todays position which is a bit of a misnomer, as without the chart of MP's opinions and ignoring of democracy show above we would not be here now. But you know this, so why go over the same old opinions that are not based on democracy and what should have happened :thinkingface:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Indeed, we know why but some people are so blinkered and so scared of bullies it's unbelievable :thinkingface:

16. Did someone say it was just Labours fault? I bet many labour voters are fuming with their party and it's affront on the democratic vote :thinkingface: the same as the rest of them...

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Last time I counted Labour had a lot more mp's than the DUP voting against a deal or no deal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. So do the Lib/Dems/ SNP/ Chukas TIG Tinge Change and The Tories.

19. [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. I haven't a clue what you're getting at, I was replying to a comment in an earlier post,
    (Maybe in your eyes but not in mine. In my view and it’s just a humble opinion, the tail is wagging the dog here. The U.K. voted to leave and we should have left by now. The only reason we haven’t is because of the DUP and it’s hold over the May)
    Which I disagreed with, Labour have more to do with us not leaving than the DUP.

• Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information