1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

British Indy: What Happens Now?

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by Loz, May 23, 2015.

?
  1. Full Brexit with "no EU deal" on the 29th March.

2. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a general election and new negotiations.

3. Request Extension to article 50 to allow cross party talks and a new deal to be put to EU.

4. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a second referendum on 1. Remain in EU or 2. Full Brexit.

5. Table a motion in parliament to Remain in EU WITHOUT a referendum.

6. I don't know or I don't care anymore

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. thats alright,, you dont have to look listen or like her,, she is ours,, nothin to do with you

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. watch this space,,it aint over yet

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. That has to be considered an option. Activists are already challenging parliament to justify acting on the result of the referendum based on some notion that you need 75% of the eligible electorate to actually vote and have a 60% majority. It was stated quite clearly at the outset months ago, the result of the referendum is not binding on the government. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. There will be anarchy in the streets if the Government doesn't act on it,and not just here.
    Enoch Powell will have been proved correct all along
    If Western Democracy is shown to be the illusion that many of us suspect it really is,then the shit will really hit the fan.
    World wars have been fought over this:it won't be a few bricks through windows I assure you

5. dont bite 6gr its just a cut and paste from the daily mail. loz aint no fool. but he knows its readership are.

• Love You Love You x 1
  6. so who is going to be first to suggest a military take over,,, there will be if the "peepell " hit the street,, or before ???

7. cool,, just leting him know ... personally i thot the whole ( ref ) thing was a wind up,, one that got out of controll ..

8. wont happen. you might get the odd britnat kicking off like george square 2014. maybe a wee riot nothing major. although again, if it could be engineered it would sell a paper or two.

9. Question To those who voted to Leave - If the government did a free trade deal that still allowed EU citizens free movement throughout Europe including for work, would you feel cheated?

• Like Like x 1
  10. What everyone in the Establishment; the Elite and the Remainers fail to notice.............

......is just how bloody unstable the EU (and Euro) is.........

Look what happens if one state out of 28 decides it is to leave.

Whether the result was Remain or Leave.........we are going to get some shit either way........but nobody can predict which way.

Amuses me to think that Helmet Head thinks she can leave the UK after the UK leaves the EU and then have Scotland join the EU...........forward thinking there, Nicola......

..........she doesn't seem to realise the EU will have collapsed in a couple of years.

#430 Ghost Rider, Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. So I do not know what the process is now the referendum is over. Do parliament vote on it so there has to be a majority of MPs in favour or is the referendum result a manadate to just do it regardless ? Andy

12. Yes. The motion to sign Article 50 has to be passed in Parliament. 75% of the MPs voted to Remain.

13. It is difficult to imagine how they could legitimately refuse to implement it but I wouldn't be surprised if a way was found.

This is mere speculation on my part, I have no expertise or experience in this field, just an interest.

14. I think you are right, the referendum was offered by David Cameron to hold the eurosceptic Conservative MPs in line prior to the 2015 election. He never would have done that if he didn't think he could have easily won it.

Similarly devolution and the Scottish Assembly was offered by Tony Blair to shore up support for the Labour party north of the border and stop the defections to the SNP, and look where that has ended up ;)

Unintended consequences.

15. Nothing is over, until it is over.

16. What I find interesting is that the EU isn't playing for time on this issue. Quite the reverse. If they tempered their language a bit, perhaps a compromise could indeed be found. It's not encouraging to think that the EU will break up, as it will relapse into nationalist extremism and no one wants that (at least, no right-thinking people). All the EU needs are a few tweaks and it could be fine.
    Mandelson said that the EU "bent over backwards" to accommodate Cameron in his renegotiation. Why didn't it look like that?

By its very inflexibility the EU has pushed the UK to the exit. I can't help wondering if it wasn't almost done deliberately to get rid of the grain of sand that was seizing up the mechanism.

17. Smile at us, pay us, pass us; but do not quite forget;
    For we are the people of England, that never have spoken yet.
    There is many a fat farmer that drinks less cheerfully,
    There is many a free French peasant who is richer and sadder than we.
    There are no folk in the whole world so helpless or so wise.
    There is hunger in our bellies, there is laughter in our eyes;
    You laugh at us and love us, both mugs and eyes are wet:
    Only you do not know us. For we have not spoken yet.

The fine French kings came over in a flutter of flags and dames.
    We liked their smiles and battles, but we never could say their names.
    The blood ran red to Bosworth and the high French lords went down;
    There was naught but a naked people under a naked crown.
    And the eyes of the King's Servants turned terribly every way,
    And the gold of the King's Servants rose higher every day.
    They burnt the homes of the shaven men, that had been quaint and kind,
    Till there was no bed in a monk's house, nor food that man could find.
    The inns of God where no man paid, that were the wall of the weak.
    The King's Servants ate them all. And still we did not speak.

And the face of the King's Servants grew greater than the King:
    He tricked them, and they trapped him, and stood round him in a ring.
    The new grave lords closed round him, that had eaten the abbey's fruits,
    And the men of the new religion, with their bibles in their boots,
    We saw their shoulders moving, to menace or discuss,
    And some were pure and some were vile; but none took heed of us.
    We saw the King as they killed him, and his face was proud and pale;
    And a few men talked of freedom, while England talked of ale.

A war that we understood not came over the world and woke
    Americans, Frenchmen, Irish; but we knew not the things they spoke.
    They talked about rights and nature and peace and the people's reign:
    And the squires, our masters, bade us fight; and scorned us never again.
    Weak if we be for ever, could none condemn us then;
    Men called us serfs and drudges; men knew that we were men.
    In foam and flame at Trafalgar, on Albuera plains,
    We did and died like lions, to keep ourselves in chains,
    We lay in living ruins; firing and fearing not
    The strange fierce face of the Frenchmen who knew for what they fought,
    And the man who seemed to be more than a man we strained against and broke;
    And we broke our own rights with him. And still we never spoke.

Our patch of glory ended; we never heard guns again.
    But the squire seemed struck in the saddle; he was foolish, as if in pain,
    He leaned on a staggering lawyer, he clutched a cringing Jew,
    He was stricken; it may be, after all, he was stricken at Waterloo.
    Or perhaps the shades of the shaven men, whose spoil is in his house,
    Come back in shining shapes at last to spoil his last carouse:
    We only know the last sad squires rode slowly towards the sea,
    And a new people takes the land: and still it is not we.

They have given us into the hand of new unhappy lords,
    Lords without anger or honour, who dare not carry their swords.
    They fight by shuffling papers; they have bright dead alien eyes;
    They look at our labour and laughter as a tired man looks at flies.
    And the load of their loveless pity is worse than the ancient wrongs,
    Their doors are shut in the evening; and they know no songs.

We hear men speaking for us of new laws strong and sweet,
    Yet is there no man speaketh as we speak in the street.
    It may be we shall rise the last as Frenchmen rose the first,
    Our wrath come after Russia's wrath and our wrath be the worst.
    It may be we are meant to mark with our riot and our rest
    God's scorn for all men governing. It may be beer is best.
    But we are the people of England; and we have not spoken yet.
    Smile at us, pay us, pass us. But do not quite forget.

The Secret People

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 3
  18. I was listening to Nicola Sturgeon earlier this morning and I'm still not sure whether she'll push for yet another referendum of independence.

I presume she's floating it out there just to see if support picks up. She just seems to constantly be angry at anything she can be.....and she bounces a lot when delivering a speech......kind of like zebadi at the end of each sentence.

However, what I don't understand is;

if a majority of Scottish people voted to remain part of the UK back in September 2014 (55%) and more recently 38% even voted to leave the EU,

where does she think she'll get 50+% from this time around to leave the UK, join the EU and then take up the euro?

Hasn't she got better things to do at the moment as opposed to whipping up another shit storm so early?

I mean cmon, back in September 2014 everyone in Scotland surely knew that the EU referendum was happening within the next couple of years.

Yet they still voted to remain part of the UK

Why can't she accept that?

19. Though 80% of our projects are export, most of that is outside of the eurozone. Added to which its so niche there aren't commodity codes and therefore taxes applied to our products and services. So it won't/shouldn't affect business too much.

My reasons to wanting to stay were broader than just satisfying my personal situation.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information