1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

British Indy: What Happens Now?

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by Loz, May 23, 2015.

?
  1. Full Brexit with "no EU deal" on the 29th March.

2. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a general election and new negotiations.

3. Request Extension to article 50 to allow cross party talks and a new deal to be put to EU.

4. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a second referendum on 1. Remain in EU or 2. Full Brexit.

5. Table a motion in parliament to Remain in EU WITHOUT a referendum.

6. I don't know or I don't care anymore

Results are only viewable after voting.
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  1. Tusk has said Brexit is about damage control (for the EU) and we can no longer have our cake and eat it.

I am now more than ever convinced we will not get a mutually advantageous deal, so the question is, does May really believe "no deal is better than a bad deal" ?

2. No deal is a bad deal. Probably the worst deal for employment.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. No deal isn't a deal at all. Its freedom and a blank sheet. What that will do for employment or any other matter that is the concern of government will depend on who we elect to power. So if you care about employment when it comes to casting a vote, that's Corbyn's Labour party and the Lib Dems out of the running.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. I agree, yet it seems Momentum are currently winning the war for hearts and minds, the Conservative party need to come up with a plan, fast.

5. Apparently Labour under Corbyn would "guarantee unimpeded access to the Single Market".

Just goes to show, talk is cheap but I suppose he has to square the circle somehow in the eyes of the children.

6. That will have won over a multitude of business voters

Let's have an election now and see what happens shall we?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Only the stupid ones duke.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Am I missing something here.......Brexit (cards on the table, I voted reman) is begging for an astute politician/party to assume we're out on WTO terms who could orchestrate a campaign to promote our own industry (or those that have supported it, like Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Tatra etc etc) over EU based suppliers. This might create a short term difficulty as supply adjusted to demand (many of our home grown industrial/commercials would need to pull their socks up sharpish) but would pay in the longer term........we have a 1st world population of 64m and the 5th largest economy on earth ffs! If we can't make that work for us, we are indeed in deep shit........but I can't see that we would be.

Suggest we start by not buying German, French and Italian cars (and bikes), white goods, trains, planes, pharmasuiticles, food, etc etc etc.......and take holidays in the UK, nit France,Spain and Italy (for starters ).

Massive opportunity to make political progress......but no one seems to be arsed to do so!

• Like Like x 1
  9. A good point. I think our politicians desire to have our cake and eat it is clouding their vision and judgement.
    I do not see the EU budging on the four freedoms, which is incompatible with our leaving and having unimpeded access to the single market.

Yet Jezza seems to think he can guarantee just that.

10. We've had a 2nd industrial and commercial revolution since Thatchers purges of the 80's........but no political revolution.

It's about time we had one, our political classes are lost in the 1950's, fucking useless and out of tune with the modern world, every last one of them, irrespective of party!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Gordon, the Euro does not want to negotiate, it's a facade.

They can't afford any deal with the uk as the other 27 will insist on bits too. Their end goal is wto so they can say leave us and see what you get, wto. For us wto means no eu meddling for years and no delayed none eu deals . They say they want a deal, they never have .

12. Except i don't want to buy British cars ( though there is no such thing anymore) nor do i want to holiday in the UK. I think if you really looked very few multinational companies are now British owned.

and in any case WTF should the government tell me what i can and can't buy or where i can or can't go? Its none of their business.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Fingers crossed. :)

14. Its none of the EU's business either. We should be free to buy what we want from whom we want and free to sell goods back to them on terms agreed between us for our mutual benefit, without barriers and tariffs imposed by the EU for political reasons getting in the way. That's called a free market as opposed to a prescriptive and protectionist customs union, and the restoration of free trade is one of the many reasons we are leaving the EU.

15. Just now accidentally wandered into a scientists' Remoan Echo Chamber on FB. The presumption, smug yet misplaced superiority, monolithic ignorance and lack of self-awareness ... amongst scientists, no less ... is astonishing and depressing, in equal measure.

If these are our "thinkers", we are fucked as a species, let alone as a society.

16. But the longer they can string us along the greater the damage they can do.

17. Hmmm, a quick search brought up these British owned (or partially owned) companies listed in the top 500 in the world. Not bad for a small little island in the middle of the Atlantic.

7. Royal Dutch Shell
    12. BP
    49. Legal & General
    56. Prudential
    88. HSBC
    90. Aviva
    92. Tesco
    121. Lloyds
    149. Vodafone
    150. Unilever
    269. SSE
    273. GlaxoSmithKline
    284. Barclays
    286. Centrica
    310. J Sainsbury
    316. Rio Tinto
    346. BT
    387. Compass Group
    422. Old Mutual
    432. Standard Life
    435. IAG
    452. BAE Systems
    470. Astrazeneca
    491. National Grid
    498. Wm Morrison

How are the govt telling you that? The govt are seeking free trade deals with the EU and the world so you can buy what you like from whom you like. It's your beloved EU that seem to want to stop you doing this.

Aren't they also threatening to bar the UK from the open skies agreement? Again, I see nothing from the UK threatening the EU in such a manner.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. I work with scientists...........prime examples of clever people making simple things complicated, rather than the opposite.

I used to work with engineers.....paragons of common sense, in comparison.

#9059 GordonH, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Science and politics rarely works well, ask Oppenheimer

Do Not Sell My Personal Information