1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

British Indy: What Happens Now?

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by Loz, May 23, 2015.

?
  1. Full Brexit with "no EU deal" on the 29th March.

2. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a general election and new negotiations.

3. Request Extension to article 50 to allow cross party talks and a new deal to be put to EU.

4. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a second referendum on 1. Remain in EU or 2. Full Brexit.

5. Table a motion in parliament to Remain in EU WITHOUT a referendum.

6. I don't know or I don't care anymore

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. As soon as the word started to leak out what was about to be said and confirmed on a sky interview with a green eu politician were he said the only way for a no border to exist in Ireland was for Northern Ireland to remain in the single market, You just knew the dup would block it, as they would feel it is the start of separation of Northern Ireland from the U.K. and the start of re-unification through the back door.

When they stood up and said you aint selling us out for a effin eu deal (or nicer words to be more polite) I must admit it brought a smile to me chops. It was almost as though the dup had found the spine for the U.K. that the government had not.

For May, if she tried selling the dup out, there could be trouble ahead. For Varadkar, it was the slap down the cheeky git needed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dominic Grieve appears to be the only member of the Tory party with an ounce of sense.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Good on the DUP. At least someone in Westminster has some balls and some principle.
    An EU/Irish move to annex NI has been stopped. When the BBC, Sky News and Channel 4 News call something a "set-back" or announce that Brexit has been "scuppered" or "derailed" you know that can only be a good thing and a positive development has occurred, and that despite the best efforts of the Government and Appeaser May, a genuine Brexit where there is no "deal", no shared custody of our country, is inching closer.
    Bring on the no-deal, end this pathetic negotiating pantomime, walk away and lets get on with real life in the big wide world.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. I thought this bloke was the worst Prime minister in history, until Theresa May. I genuinely don't think she could play her hand any worse if she tried.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. It does seem weird that when it came to the negotiations that we put people in the team that said we still love eu and the eu put on their team, fuck you U.K. you will do as we tell you. I feel a better team to represent us would have been Farrage and also the DUP.

I would suspect I am not the only one who has ever been divorced or during that divorce, it started off reasonably friendly till others and solicitors started to get involved. WTO and announced soon will at least let everyone know where they stand now, what to plan for and remove one side having an advantage over the other in a negative way.

6. The fourth wall between the theatre of politics and the electorate has become very thin in the last 24 hours.

The DUP weren't made aware of what the UK was offering the EU in terms of the Irish border issue? How likely is it that this is actually true? It seems preposterous to me, not in the sense that "How could they be so incompetent?" but rather, "How can they expect the public to believe this is true?".

I don't believe it. This is some kind of manoeuvre or trick, in order to achieve some sort of goal. I would just as soon believe that the Brexit team have been found to be negotiating with impostors and not the real EU.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. appeaser may2.jpg

8. The Brexitards mob appear to be getting desperate. Now May is a traitor to their xenophobic rantings. Absolutely fecking hilarious. :joy:

9. Brexitards, desperate, xenophobes, rants. :laughing: Keep trying chuckles. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Cki2dM_XIAATXQ0.jpg

11. hitler.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. I agree.

We are now being led to believe that it was the EU and the Irish Government who leaked that a deal on the border had been reached, when it had in fact been rejected by May, in order to destabilise May and drive a wedge between May and the DUP.

This is a logical explanation which I find entirely plausible.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. here was a great deal of speculation back in June about whether the election resulting in a hung parliament - albeit, crucially, one in which the Conservatives and DUP held a majority between them - made a hard Brexit significantly less likely. The theory was that Labour would wield much more influence, and that even the DUP would help steer the government towards a softer Brexit because of their pragmatic desire for a 'frictionless frontier' with the Republic. Well, the latter point is now looking distinctly ropey, because the one and only reason a hard Irish border even remains a possibility today is because the DUP vetoed the deal yesterday. It's still the case that the DUP would probably sign up quite happily to a soft Brexit as long as there were explicit guarantees that the degree of 'softness' would be uniform throughout the UK, and that Northern Ireland wouldn't end up in a 'one country, two systems' scenario. But any such guarantees would trigger a mass Tory rebellion and quite possibly bring the government down.
    The trouble with trying to bounce people into an agreement they wouldn't ordinarily sign up to is that you have to move so fast that they don't know what's hit them until it's too late. The gambit almost worked yesterday, but a miss is as good as a mile, and Theresa May's game has now been well and truly rumbled. Having taken such open satisfaction in foiling Dublin's plans, the DUP will presumably only be able to get back on board if the Irish government are seen to publicly back down on points of substance, and that's surely very unlikely. Meanwhile, Tory Eurosceptics are now wise to May's willingness to concede a soft Brexit if that's the only way of squaring the Northern Ireland circle, and they'll move over the coming days to close that option off. Where else is there to go?

Right at this moment, it does appear that the loss of the Tory majority has - against all expectations - created a dynamic that makes a hard Brexit more likely, not less so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. But what are *your* thoughts on this matter, finm?

• Funny Funny x 4
  15. within 10 years NI will be repatriated in to Ireland and i will be, within 3years a resident of an independent Scotland.
    anyhoo, what do i think? unless there is a massive bomb dropped on England, or at least may and the conservatives lose a vote of no confidence sometime v.soon, out we go, but to what? who knows how long will it take for the majority of voters to realize that brexit is only the beginning, phase1 of taking back control.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Glad you are following my postings across the net. You may well learn something if you continue.

A hard Brexit in March 2019 could cause a depression the country might not recover from. We don’t even have the customs staff or facilities to cope with it let alone anything else.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. By the Daily Mail or the Express? Those well known replacements for toilet paper. Soft strong and thoroughly absorbent.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information