1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

British Indy: What Happens Now?

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by Loz, May 23, 2015.

?
  1. Full Brexit with "no EU deal" on the 29th March.

2. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a general election and new negotiations.

3. Request Extension to article 50 to allow cross party talks and a new deal to be put to EU.

4. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a second referendum on 1. Remain in EU or 2. Full Brexit.

5. Table a motion in parliament to Remain in EU WITHOUT a referendum.

6. I don't know or I don't care anymore

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. .If this was a private company and he / they were part of the board, they'd be gone. No ifs, no buts
    yip, all he way to the house of lords.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Heard an interesting programme on Radio 4 on Sunday. Can't offer a link or tell you what it was called because I switched on halfway through but basically it was a discussion on the implications of Brexit for trade from the point of view of European businesses. And it wasn't the usual corporate lobbyists who were wheeled out to denounce Brexit, it was representatives of ordinary business across the channel.

What was striking was that none of the people interviewed, who varied from business owners, port officials at Calais and representatives from European trade and haulage associations, condemned the vote. They viewed it phlegmatically, it was the democratic choice of the British, they just wanted to know how they would work with it so that cross-border trade which they depended on could continue. They didn't even criticise the UK government, some even praised the reasonableness of the UK's position. Their frustration was entirely with EU politicians and negotiators who were accused of placing political grandstanding above economic necessity. Emmanuel Macron came in for particular criticism from an official from the port of Calais who accused the French President of playing anti-British games which would adversely effect French fortunes more than UK ones. He was accused of enjoying the UK government's travails in the negotiations rather than trying to seek solutions. A position which the speaker believed would backfire electorally.

A women who represented European hauliers said with exasperation that the cause of European federalism was "a religion" on the alter of which EU ideologues were prepared to sacrifice anything to punish the UK for losing the faith, but that it was Europeans who were going to suffer. It was the sort of thing you expect to read in the pro-Brexit press in the UK. In fact that same day Janet Daly wrote in the Sunday Telegraph that the European integration was not political, it was "theological".

These people were from the small and medium businesses of Europe, which are the backbone of European economies just as they are here. They know their politicians are playing games with people's lives for the sake of political vanity and those politicians are going to have top answer to their electorates at some point. The vilification of the UK coming from Euro fanatic politicians is not it seems necessarily shared by those they rely on to vote them into office. Ordinary people, it seems, accept Brexit, they just want their political class to accept it to and cooperate in making it work. The people spoke in the UK, I suspect they will start to speak across Europe as well if their politicians don't get real. Tick tock indeed.

#12262 Gimlet, Mar 6, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. maybe they should be running things here then, cant see how they could be doing a worse job of it. a wee coment from the dugs latest.
    Couldn’t agree more Paul. ‘Course Treeza’s problems are in the many fold, but her greatest is that the UK isn’t a country. There is no country to unite. It is a unitary state formed by a political treaty of union with two signatories and comprised of multiple nationalities. How and ever, beyond even that, politics as it is practised in this United Kingdom is the very thing that prevents the nations and demographics within those nations from uniting behind its central government. The Tories and their media did their job only too well. Their constant narrative of divide and divide again in their own narrow interest has ensured that no one is any mood to reach across those divides. Well done them.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. If the EU was a private company, it would have ceased to exist a long time ago. The parasitic leaders would have made sure their pension pots were well topped up at the expense of the employees and investors before moving onto another lucrative position though.

Accounts not bought off for decades, a seemingly limitless amount of tax payers money to spend, lavish lifestyles for the board, an unaccountable board who can't be removed and enjoy immunity not afforded to the employees, an inability to evolve and stay ahead of the competition? :thinkingface: Not the kind of company I'd have any faith in. Some however see it as the savior of a lone, smaller but enlightened company, that is sick of paying the larger inefficient company for the privilege of selling it's good to them, sees the larger company for what it is and has decided on a different path. Strange indeed. :confused:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Politicians are,in the main,obstacles in the way of real life.
    Instead of smoothing the path to the contentment and happiness of their electorates,their dubious,"expertise",is limited to cunning attempts at manipulating public opinion into supporting the unsupportable.
    The fact that the majority of Referendum voters were not taken in by the lies of politicians,(and their media lapdogs),shows that the UK electorate is a lot smarter than the Establishment assumed.
    Many EU citizens are now exasperated by the arrogant,"we-know-best",attitude shown by European governments,as shown by the result of the Italian elections.
    Should this mass unhappiness lead to public unrest,(naturally the EU,like all political bodies, has ensured it has the legal right to crush any demonstration it doesn't agree with in Article 2 of the ECHR),the blame can be squarely laid at the door of politicians who acted to the detriment of those who pay their generous salaries.

6. Unfortunately very true, the bunch of cun.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. yip, bang on. :upyeah:
    if you swapped EU politician for
    aye, but the up shot is they're all man and woman enough to stand and take responsibility for the countries ill's rather than pointing the finger elsewhere....

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Piers Morgan interviewed a serial killer rapist last night.

5 accusations no charges - wasn’t him, they all lied
    1 charge and pleaded guilty to lesser charge - wasn’t him, it was a mistake
    DNA found on 13 bodies of women who’d been raped including semen inside one - wasn’t him, police planted evidence, never knew any of them

Reminded me of the EU negotiators claiming it’s all UK fault.

9. That red bus made no difference.

Farage's poster made no difference (Wasn't racist by the way, but well done in getting the "Leavers are racists" card in there)

The mention of Turkey joining the EU made no difference.

Any Leave campaigner that suggested we'd remain part of the single market made no difference.

You can clutch to as many straws as you like, but to think that 17m people were fickle enough to be swayed much by any of that (and I'm not going into the rights and wrongs of those items, as both sides played a similar game). People had made their minds up years ago, decades ago about the EU and voted from experience. Cameron's comical renegotiation, where he came back, almost Chamberlain like, declaring victory for the UK was seen straight through. Project fear was seen straight through, it continues to be seen straight through.

How about some of these?

Cameron saying he would trigger Article 50 on the 24th June in the event of a vote to leave. World War 3 was predicted. An emergency "Punishment Budget" with tax hikes and spending cuts would be necessary. 3 million jobs in the UK are dependent on the EU and would be lost. The country would enter the recession of all recessions. A future EU army was described as "A dangerous fantasy". Companies would leave the UK in droves. The car industry would up sticks and leave. UK citizens would be stopped from travelling to Europe. Cameron said he wouldn't resign if he lost the referendum. We could fully control immigration still being within the EU. Northern Ireland troubles would restart. House prices would drop 18%. Share prices would drop 20%. France would cancel the Le Touquet agreement and the Calais Jungle would move to Dover. Data roaming charges would go through the roof. Employment law would be ripped up. Employees would lose paid holidays. Environmental standards would be torn up...................

The Leave campaign didn't spend £9,000,000 of our money on a propaganda booklet. The Remain campaign did - Here

The remain campaign came up with no good reasons to stay in the EU, just tried to instill fear into the UK voting public. It's all they had, it's all they have and project fear is continuing stronger than ever today.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. You owe me a bag of Walkers Ready Salted.

I laughed so hard I actually threw up. You fabulous rascal, you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Well "they" didn't. I'm prepared to conceed that that both sides could have played with a straighter bat. You seem to want to tell us that all "Remainers" were whiter than white, and all "Leavers" were liars.

Dear oh dear. :rolleyes:

No we aren't. That's the goons, Major, Blair's lies. It would never be allowed to happen. You've taken the bait hook line and sinker.

No we aren't

Again, nope.

Everyone knows we can't negotiate deals while still in the EU. I'm sure preparatory work is being done.

That's just wrong, wrong and wrong

Do we? :thinkingface: Why's that then, we haven't left the EU

Again, do we? :thinkingface: If we do, has this just happened since June 23rd 2016?

Is it? :thinkingface: You sure about that?

YAY! you got one right. :grinning:

• Like Like x 2
  12. ....
    i agree. but come the day, you lot are gonna owe me much much much much more

13. You owe me a job. Don't you forget that.

14. Wonder will it have much effect on the used motor market. Think about 40% of cars and bikes here in Ireland are uk imports. Either way the show will go on I guess

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. yip, but yer to proud to work for me, as i am you, know, if you where to consider a partnership of equals than maybe we could strike a deal.

16. We'd be equal partners but we'd never be equal. You'd be able to understand what I am saying whereas I wouldn't have the same advantage.

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. its probably the only way it would work out, language barriers can be useful in avoiding conflict

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Cannae argue wi the nunge onnat.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information