1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

British Indy: What Happens Now?

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by Loz, May 23, 2015.

?
  1. Full Brexit with "no EU deal" on the 29th March.

2. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a general election and new negotiations.

3. Request Extension to article 50 to allow cross party talks and a new deal to be put to EU.

4. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a second referendum on 1. Remain in EU or 2. Full Brexit.

5. Table a motion in parliament to Remain in EU WITHOUT a referendum.

6. I don't know or I don't care anymore

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. New Zealand is a good example, form what I have read and heard, of how removal of subsidies hasn't killed the agricultural industry but actually reinvented, invigorated and made it a real profit industry. Who's too say Brexit wont do the same for our farmers? And fisherman? And widget makers?

2. NZ is indeed a good example. The Daily Express recently printed an article complaining bitterly about the high percentage tariffs imposed on NZ lamb by the EU. As usual, they suppressed the information that there is a zero-tariff quota which is so large that the actual amount of lamb has never come anywhere near the quota, and thus the tariff has never been actually applied to any NZ lamb whatever.

Subsidies in NZ were not designed to make food cheaper for NZ consumers, but to make NZ exports more competitive in overseas markets. Eventually NZ governments realised that their subsidies had exactly the opposite effect; they led potential market countries to impose high tariffs, or small quotas, or to refuse to allow access at all. Dropping the subsidies made it possible to agree access, lower tariffs, or larger quotas with those countries thus greatly benefiting the NZ export trade.

The real point here is that Express articles on these kinds of topics are deliberately designed to be inaccurate and misleading. Quoting them does not strengthen whatever point one may be trying to make, but destroys it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I think that link highlights the issue, A billionaire who wants things to stay the same so he can continue to make more millions, can't understand a democratic country, using democracy.

He liked democracy when it elected him mayor of new york, funny that.

4. Quoting the guardian article... But we could do a whole lot better without the expensive EU monkey on our backs, also all the hugely escalating crime rates on our streets mainly caused by certain people who IMPO should not have been allowed in the UK In the first place. so a big thing for me is shutting the boarders to undesirable people we don't want !
    Trump has got it right, run a country like you would run a successful business, don't care what he has done in his personal life he's only human, lets face it how many bent, twisted, or perverted politicians have we got in parliament who are covering each others assholes...with the numbers I would say quite a few....at least Trump is a Real Man, & trying to do a great job, but he will always have some one from somewhere sticking the knife in his back.

#14745 ton-up, Aug 29, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Crap Crap x 1
  5. I feel if you are looking for a good example of why we are leaving, then the current "Scallop wars" are a good example

In it's basic terms, the French are limited by their own government so they can fish the grounds but not between the 15th of May to the 1st of October.

The British and Irish, have no such restriction. Normally however, as this has been going on for decades, an informal agreement has still achieved.This agreement normally restricted the fishing grounds to smaller boats only on the Brits and Irish sides. This year no such agreement was made and uber hoover large boats have joined in which has pissed of the French

Despite having fishing rights the French do not have and it being all above board, some French fishermen have been blockading and attacking boats with a legal right with little or no worry of consequences from the French government, the same they do with Port Strikes and air traffic strikes.

I would suggest this is pretty much how the French definitely, and Germans to a point, have used the eu. Mostly ignoring the rules when it suits them, whilst expecting everyone else to play by the rules. Given how likely us taking our fishing waters back and the eu fishermen not liking it, I hope we can (1) invest in our fisheries protection and protection for our fishing fleets whilst protecting our waters and, (2) also have a decent fisheries quota system which will probably be the same figure so we allow replenishing of stocks, allow the fishing fleets to return along with that employment and rebuilding of communities but also part of that total to sell to some of the nations who are then able to bid for those quotas.

#14746 noobie, Aug 29, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  6. The comments today were that the British deplete the stocks and leave the French with the scraps, they then went on to say the British catch 1000 tons yet the French catch 17000 tons, how does that work then.
    Steve

7. Diane Abbott is French

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sounds fishy to me.

9. Sounds like a lot of old scallops to me

10. Because UK are fishing in the breeding season when the French have decided not to ensure there are future stocks to fish.

11. It's been going on for years, they still take 17000 tons to our 1000.

12. Incorrect duke , but not surprisingly. The stocks within the French 12 mile limit were not the issue. That agreement remains and the Brits and Irish did not break any laws or restocking issues, they did not go into the 12 miles limit.

They were fishing 15 miles off the French coast, which is international waters which is legal for them to do so for all except the French who are forbidden by their own government.

13. Do we take the breeders, which equals 1/17th of the French take, and that’s the reason it’s over fished?

If we take the breeders, where do the other 16000 tins come from....

14. Imagine the outrage if the roles were reversed!!

15. I think our fishermen would be very happy with 17000 tons.

#14756 Birdie, Aug 29, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. It's not over fished, the annoyance by the French is that their own government forbids them to do what is perfectly legal for all other countries so they take it out on other countries fisherman. It's a bit of a red herring as the French government only controls the 12 mile area that the other countries do not go into.

Imagine all you want, but they are not reversed

http://britishseafishing.co.uk/scallop-conflict/

#14757 noobie, Aug 29, 2018
  17. What, the French only being allowed 1000?! Crikey, they'd be at war with someone...or should I say they'd be asking us to be at war for them :rolleyes:

18. What’s this scallop thing got to do with Brexit?

19. He'll reference anybody that agrees with his position @noobie :laughing: How many times have we heard "The rich are crooks, jail them, tax them!!!!" Now he's holding one up as a poster boy. :laughing: He's a parody of himself and unaware of it. :)

Oh, and Bloomberg. "Some of my staff want to leave the USA & UK", but the same bloke who has just spent millions on a new Europe headquarters in...........London. You couldn't make it up (unless you are Dukey of course). :grinning:

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information