1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cal to quit MotoGP?

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by Dave, Aug 25, 2012.

1. I hope Herve Poncheral knows something we dont know, because I'd say it may not work out too well for Bradders.:eek:

2. Well he didn't need Dovi on a Ducati to out qualify him today. Looks like he's got his mojo back.

Come on Cal :upyeah:

3. Good news all round then

4. Or he might suddenly turn out to be better than anyone expected.

I don't recall Stoner being a genius in 250s or whatever lower class he rode at the time. He was in the mix, but was by no means dominant, and he fell off a lot. He certainly wasn't a Marquez or Lorenzo type.

5. 5 wins and 10 podiums (2005 on an Aprilia 250) out of 16 are pretty good in my book

6. 2004 125 Dovi 5 wins, Lorenzo 3 wins, Stoner 1 win
    2005 250 Pedrosa 8 wins, Stoner 5 wins
    2006 MotoGp Stoner 1 podium
    2007 MotoGP Stoner 10 wins.

I was simply saying, that Stoner was never a dominant force until 2007.

2004 and 2006 give no inkling of what would happen in 2007.

Pedrosa was 250 champion in 2004 and 2005, Lorenzo in 2006 and 2007.

Stoner essentially came from "nowhere" to rack up the 10 wins in MotoGP in 2007. Who would have bet on that at the beginning of that season?

7. Its an interesting debate for sure.

I read the piece in bike about how his parents basically sold up so he could race at 14 in the UK (16 in Australia). Anecdotal evidence suggests he was pretty outstanding back then, although his early stats are a bit hit and miss - although we all know how much difference being on the factory team can make....

I'm sorry cal didn't get signed - reckon his ballsy style might have suited the v-twin, but for now we'll just have to speculate

8. Smith won't do anything at the highest level, he hasn't got it Redding or Kent will be the next big UK riders to make it into the big class.

If Smith does anything I'll eat my hat

9. I think your hat is safe.

Young BS tends to drift backwards in races.

10. moto 2 is very unlike the old 250 series which included factory bikes!

But talent shines in this new series and BS sadly lacks any!

I can name 5 racers in front of him by a mile who deserve the tech3 yamaha ride and imho BS should of allowed tech3 to buy him out!

Yes Jon your hat is well safe! :wink:

11. Ianone for a start :upyeah:

12. Funny how when VR does nothing in a race, people leap to his defebnce - it's the bikes fault and caused by a lack of development by the team ... but when Smith rides a bike that the team owner admits hasn't been properly developed and is only used as a test bed for the MotoGP team, it's the rider who isn't up to the job!!!

Redding is a ticking timebomb on the track; thrashes it until it wins or crashes and has no idea how he did either - he just rides what the team give him ...... Kent looks the better bet but needs time to move through the ranks ..... the only riders I can see coming through with the right mix of 'bravado', ability, and the brains to also let the team know what needs adjusting to make things better are, I'm afraid, not British - Marquez & Ianonne!

13. [TABLE="width: 165"]
    [TR]
    [TD]1[/TD]
    [TD="width: 115"]Marc MARQUEZ
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 25, align: center"]213[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"]2[/TD]
    [TD]Pol ESPARGARO
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]165[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"]3[/TD]
    [TD]Thomas LUTHI
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]154[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"]4[/TD]
    [TD]Andrea IANNONE
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]149[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"]5[/TD]
    [TD]Scott REDDING[/TD]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"]6[/TD]
    [TD]Mika KALLIO
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]97[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"]7[/TD]
    [TD]Bradley SMITH[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]77[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"]8[/TD]
    [TD]Claudio CORTI
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]65[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"]9[/TD]
    [TD]Domi. AEGERTER[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]63[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"]18[/TD]
    [TD]Xavier SIMEON
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]17[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    If Redding hasnt got a clue that really leaves Smith in the shit according to the points table . Bradley should be in the 7 space but hes even dropped out of there .

#33 ducati2242, Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  14. What V Twin would that be that you are referring to?

I agree completely with glidofglood. Stoner was a world famous crasher until 2007 then he suddenly 'clicked' and against most predictions became dominant. Bradders has been a poor show since he has been in Moto 3 but after his showing in 125s when he was so tiny he has bulked out a lot. Maybe his raw talent will reappear once he gets onboard a Moto gp bike. HOWEVER... my personal view is that he will find it too daunting mixing it with the big boys and expect only mediocre results. Cal on the other hand looks like he is going to get more support from Yamaha and that combined with his experience and will to win should see him finish at least 3rd in 2013.

15. L-twin then....

• Like Like x 1
  16. Guess your not a MotoGP fan then.

Unless Rossi was shite cause he only had half of his engine! :tongue:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Unless Rossi was shite cause he only had half of his engine! :tongue:[/QUOTE]

And it's still the quickest out there!! Now just got to make it go round corners! Did they employ someone from Harley D in the race team?

18. From what you can work out, it does go around corners. It's just that Hondas and Yams go around corners better.

19. The point was, as Nothingbettertodo picked up on....the GP Ducati isn't a twin in any configuration, it's a V4 (or an L4 if you like). :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ah yeah - desmo engine. What a dick!!

Note to self - no forum grazing when pissed

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information