1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car Tyres

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by MrAliT, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Thats why race teams use it

2. Smoke and mirrors in my opinion, another way to take your money off you, there is nothing wrong with air, it's been used for years and tyres are designed for it (might be good for F1 but no advantage for formula asda)

As for the tracking, if the tyres have worn evenly across the tread then any change will see a difference, this may be a bad thing, if it isn't done properly then again it's another way of parting a the gullible from their hard earned, if it ain't broke don't fix it I am afraid, also steering wheel alignment does not necessary indicate a problem with tracking

Sorry didn't want to urinate on anyone's chips.

• Like Like x 1
  3. not necessary true. a mate of mine has not long put a set of 4 tyres on his vw 4x4. £1100 £40-£50 for tracking.

4. In the real world in an average car nitrogen makes not a jot of difference. As for the tracking, it only needs to be out by a very small amount to affect how the car handles, how it wears it's tyres, and especially wet weather grip. £57 is extremely expensive though, tracking is usually between £20 and £30

5. Yes I thought so too. I'd expect tracking to be £20/£25 quid but my car appears to be able to be adjusted at both front and rear. They're on little eccentric adjusters like tightening the chain on a single sided swing arm..... I went and watched to see what I was getting for my money! :D

6. If the tyres that came off had worn ok then I would suggest that the tracking was ok, therefore any change will/may create a problem, do not mistake shoulder wear on the outer edges of the front tyres as a tracking problem, it is just as likely to be a combination of power steering, spirited driving and an excess of roundabouts.

Also theres tracking and tracking and you gets what you pay for, £20 to £30 for a muppet looking down an upside down telescope seems about right but remember you gets what you pays for.

7. My beemer wears the inside of the rears , 19 280 45s , seemingly they all do that sir .

8. Thats because BMWs are set up fairly racey and have a bit of negative camber as they are often driven harder. It makes them have better grip when in the corners. If they are worn on the inside through lots of motorway driving or whatever then it's not doing you any good but no point messing with anything unless it's enough to make you have to change an otherwise good tyre, 19inch are not cheap either :)

9. If you are not paying for it then nitrogen is better than normal air. If you are paying for it then you're likely wasting your money as it only really makes a difference if you are really getting the tyres hot on track. I've certainly not noticed it on the road even when driving hard around twistys.

Regarding tracking, all the average tyre place can check for is toe in or out; ie tyres pointing together too much or apart. It will wear your tyres early if it's out and is worth doing if you are spending money on expensive new tyres but I wouldn't spend £57 if I was buying budget tyres and the old tyres were worn evenly. There's plenty of places that will do it for less than half that if you just ask them to have a quick look at the front tyres.

10. Yeah . Tyres need to be taken off and swapped side for side after about 10k . There directional too and the rear ones are bigger than the front ones . If you are 50% worn and a tyre is destroyed you have to change the lot or get a part worn that is a similar tread depth . Something to do with wind up on the all wheel drive system. And it only does 16 miles per gallon . Jeez I must me dafter than I thought .

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. :smile:

12. On a track car, nitrogen makes it much easier to maintain optimal pressures. Pressure stability.
    With regards to geometry, find a car/tyre garage that has Hunter laser alignment equipment for reliable geometry. More importantly, however, is to ensure that the operator:
    1) knows what to do with the equipment,
    2) can interpret YOUR feedback on what the car is doing when 'pushed',
    3) knows what range of geo settings work for the car in question,
    4) can adjust based on tyre chosen, style of driving, etc
    5) sets the geo when the car is properly corner weighted

If it's just a normal run-of-the-mill family car, however, just get a garage to set it to the factory settings. It's unlikely you will notice the difference within the factory default.

13. Speaking of tyres, 2200 miles in mrs new car and picked a screw up, now it couldn't be in the middle could it, oh no, its just in from the edge so wont repair. And like new. Bastard.

14. Emperors new clothes!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information