1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carbon Wheels

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Gimlet, Aug 14, 2015.

1. :)

You're right Arthur, one thing a time. I learned that tuning the suspension on my KTM and it turned out the biggest difference of all was simply changing the tyres.
    I was aware that the SF has a longer swinging arm than the SBK. And as the shock and and rocker arm are exactly the same parts for both bikes and fit in exactly the same way I guess the extra length is between shock mount and wheel spindle which will alter the ride height geometry at both ends.

Start with the wheels is a sound plan. That's this years Christmas shopping sorted.

2. Hmmm, I'm hankering after a set of BST CF wheels n'all. Not least because I think they look great! I'm trying to work out how to convince my Mrs. they are a very important 'safety feature' I'd get them on the sly but they're black and my current wheels are gold so she'll spot the buggers immediately. What to do?

3. Yep, the 3 are different lengths. With the modded SF arm being a cheaper compromise over the RS one.

Of course, not chopping it in half but to relieve the back of it, to get the wheel moved back to get near the RS length.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Paint the gold wheels black beforehand and let her get used to those. Sprat to catch a mackerel. :Angelic:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Or, grow some cajones and tell her you've spent her handbag and shoe money on some new wheels.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Don't tell her you've taken the pillion pegs off so you can see the wheels better.

7. Says the bloke with a rather nice collection of Jimmy Choos....

8. Seems a lot of confusion in this thread eh...

Carbon wheels are at least as strong as the best lightweight alloy wheels.

You use adjustable triples to INCREASE trail lost by using the steepest steering head angle with the adjustable neck tube set at it's steepest setting.

You use and Ergal, not titanium axle. If anyone doesn't like the sound of it - don't effin use it!

Lowering the front unsprung weight as much as possible, using a steep steering head angle, with a reduced offset (say 27mm-30mm) will make the bike handle very quickly and 'lightly' without being twitchy, if anything, with the increased trail gained by reducing the offset the bike will be MORE stable than it was before...

9. Well I think I'm getting it. Been reading this: Nichols adjustable offset triple clamp kit for 1098 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
    Can you direct me to any other UK sources for adjustable triple clamps Air Duck? I've found this Robby Moto Adjustable Yokes / Triple Clamps otherwise all my searches come up with American suppliers.

10. @Gimlet - dunno about UK suppliers mate but I bought some IMA Type 4 EVO adjustable triples.

I bought adjustables as I wanted to experiment with the stability vs flickability trade off.

The IMAs aren't exactly cheap.

Podium Racing in the States do a cheaper set. If you like them then write or call them and enquire about any 'shop soiled' sets as they have these from time to time with big discounts just for a generally minor blemish.

If you don't wanna spend on adjustables just order a set of 30mm fixed triples. If you really use the bike hard - get an SBK adjustable neck tube, set it steep, and get some 27mm triples.

Mind you, I don't know what the standard rake angle is on the SF.

Ignore the doom mongers in this thread, how many of em have actually tried any of this shit? Jokers.

11. These are on special, worth a look at least.
    IMO the bloke who runs the place is a complete wanker but that doesn't matter if they have what you need eh?
    Of course, unless you have a mate/relative to help you out you'll pay all the import duty shit too. Sourcing from Europe can work out cheaper even if the purchase cost is higher.
    CORSE DYNAMICS 30mm Offset Billet Triple Clamp Set: 1098/ 1198

12. Ducati Streetfighter

That says rake angle is 26° - might as well join the Chopper Club!

SBK angles are 24.5° and 23.5°

13. Yeah roger. Nowt wrong with me knackers, but if I spunk 2.7k on wheels she'll want a trip to New York or something. Life eh? Its hell!

14. Fiendish!

If I chopped in a red 1098 for a red desmo I'd get away with it (from the wife anyway, not the bank manager). She can spot a colour shade change from 1000 metres. In the dark....

15. @arthurbikemad - wasn't having a dig at you man - as far as I can see you hadn't posted in this thread?

Just know what it's like mate - when someone is asking a question because they don't know the fuckin answer then the last thing they need is a bunch of people with bad Ju Ju vibes scaring the granny out of an OP with unsubstantiated fears...

Been there! :)

16. No problem, I removed my posts, as you say if the OP has issues with turn in then adjust the geom, simple, he asked about BSTs so my reply was based on the question.

Enjoy :)

17. Yeah geometry and unsprung weight, once they're sorted it's just a matter of fine tuning suspension settings for the conditions.

As we can only go so far with both geometry and unsprung weight, once they're sorted it's as good as it will ever be in that department.

If the OP wants a lighter, quicker, less fatiguing bike to ride (and let's face it - who doesn't?) then his ideal is to get em both sorted.

After that it's about bike weight loss, rider fitness, possibly rider weight loss, and rider skills improvement - I like any help I can get with all of the above!

18. Got any tips for a gixer k5 thou ducky ;)

19. Haha nah - just rag the granny out of it!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information