1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Chain And Sprockets?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by AirCon, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Surely if you are getting torsional loading on a chain something is not right.

2. It's tension in the side plates when they are under load and operating normally, ie correctly aligned, not torsion.

3. Think I am missing something as that sounds normal. All drive loading is taken up by the side plates and pivot. Lateral loading should be negligible as its really only a tooth guide. Not sure how distribution of teeth front to rear changes that.

4. There is a "forum" theory elsewhere that having smaller front sprocket and therefore fewer teeth = more wear / stress on the system, I was only stating my opinion that the report disproves the forum theory. Hope that makes sense

5. Can we have a link to the report please?

6. Should be a PDFs to download, page 17, ABSTRACT. The bullet points cover what I was saying. Happy reading.

7. Each to their own, but I don't get why that would even be part of any decision process when buying a motorcycle chain within reason. The exact same chain type is available for multiple manufacturer bikes that span numerous permutations of front and rear sprockets sizes. So the chain manufacturer does not feel there is a limitation of use.

8. I've obviously misled you, the decision process centred on the front sprocket size, nothing to do with the chains capabilities. Some are of the opinion that a smaller sprocket induces issues wrt having less "driving teeth". The conclusion that only 2 teeth are "pulling" at any one time implies the fears are unfounded.
    At the end of the day, I'm happy to got with the set up even if it does induce quicker wear. My decision, I'll take the consequences

9. I'm in a panic now....
    Are all the Multistrada 1200 models the same in regard to sprocket and chains?

On fleabay I'm seeing 520, 525 and 530 being sold as "STANDARD".....
    Mines a 2013 twin spark PP and I looking at the Supersprox 42 teeth 530 with a DC AFM 530 x ring Gold chain and standard steel 15 teeth front....Am I on the right track?

10. Yes. Standard is 530 chain with 15t gearbox sprocket and 40t rear

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Regarding Sprocket Wear:-
    A smaller sprocket on the front is doing more work i.e. the less teeth on the sprocket the more revolutions it has to make to displace the equivalent length of chain. Therefore the teeth come into contact with the chain more often which increases wear. This is why the front sprocket always wears faster than the back.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I'm finding this chain and sprocket replacement a bit of a mine field of info and web sites.
    I have decided to go 15/42 .... is there a one stop shop to purchase from or do I have to shop around for each component.
    Apparently Ducati don't make a 42 rear sprocket and I don't want to change to a different sprocket carrier

13. I think supersprox in USA make the 42 sprocket, there are UK importers but about a month ago I was advised minimum of 6 week lead time so I went 14-40 (roughly equivalent to 15-43) as a kit from fleabay at £207. (DID530 heavy duty chain)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information