1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cramp in hip?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by allsorts, Jul 2, 2012.

1. I wouldn't so much say beware Mac - if you did any exercise wrong then you risk hurting yourself and, as I went into detail about, the exercises performed on your back are to be avoided on the whole. Just to make it clear, adopting a careful approach as you would any exercise, the piriformis stretch I mentioned can be performed by anyone whether they have a piriformis problem or not without risk to life or limb, and the benefits can be enormous.

2. As figaro says, same for me from groin muscle group right down inside of thigh, but usually only when off roading. Caused by using legs to grip the tank, and hence work the inner thigh muscles. Plenty of fluids and a stretching like a frog whilst lying on my front (knees out with knees bent) then one of my kids standing on my bum to push the pelvis down. Works for me every time.

Not a professional medic/therapist of any sort, was just a case of finding what stretches the muscle group reacted best to.

Good luck in sorting your recurring cramp, though.

Pete

3. I'm 44 and get the hip cramp thing now and again usually when lift my left leg onto the pegs.

A quick stretch is all it needs to sort me out but can be a bit difficult if you are just leaving the pit lane!!! I find just standing up on the pegs or sticking my leg out for a couple of seconds can sort it as well.

4. Yoga or Pilates, and a good Chiropractor, seriously, I'm 54 this year and in the past have fractured several vertabrae, pelvis twice, and usual scaphoid and collar bone etc. Couldn't live with the 1000ss though, bugger!
    Get the odd twinge but nothing I can't usually stretch out.
    Your fitness will return, just takes a little longer with the advancing years. :smile:Good luck

5. Im a wee bit younger than you lot of old duffers but I get the same thing. Take up cycling as it a great way of increasing your general fitness and flexibility. Combine that with some stretches and you will be amazed at the difference it makes.

6. Some gr8 replies,cheers all....I've been stretching now for a couple of weeks & I do feel it less likely to return but as the weathers so crap I've not had chance to test it..
    Also I'm wary of 'over doin it' as I dont want the sciatica to return..3 of us are attending the Ducati day at Donington on the 31st July,so hopefully the cramps will stay away & us old'uns will have a good day..:upyeah:

7. You're only as old as you feel.

Don't feel old.

8. I've just been told (and spent the last hour googling it) that quinine is your general cure-all for cramp. It's been suggested to me that drinking lots of indian tonic water (which contains a very small amount of quinine) helps to relax the muscles. There's a stuff called Hylands Leg Cramp formula available in the states (they don't officially import to the UK but it looks easy enough to get) that seems to be very highly regarded.

9. I have a sciatic nerve problem and the only thing that cures my pain is a steroid injection round the nerve ( bit like an epidural ) which has lasted 2 &1/2 years but now need another one!

10. Several offers for Hylands Leg Cramp formula on eBay from UK sellers

Do Not Sell My Personal Information