1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 D-air - First Hand Report

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Owen O'Neill, May 5, 2015.

1. This brings up the question of refilling the used air-bag system. How much does it cost & if you are choosing also to replace the potentially torn jacket/trousers. What state are they in (images please).

I had a non-fault off in 2013 & my Rukka arma-S kit jacket & trousers where taken 130 miles down to the shop I brought them from. Stating clearly I knew that it wasn't covered under the 5year no-quibble guarantee lark. That having had a vehicular collision; I wished to pay for repairs as large sections of the fabric had holes in them. Rukka uk through the Motorcycle Clothing Shop Farnborough/ Hampshire | Infinity Motorcycles informed me in the store having just brought a some new leathers. That they could not do anything & were effectively washing there hands of my Rukka purchase. I'm still livid as i was prepared to pay for the work only too be done by Rukka. As the material & all the kit cost me close too £2,000 (including gloves etc).

2. I would have thought it is part of your "helmet and leathers" cover on your insurance though? No? Only difference is that instead of having broken bones and a torn jacket, you now have a torn jacket and some bruises?

Saying that though, you want to hope you upgraded that cover, most policies include only £500 to £1000 as standard - it wouldn't even cover the cost of the D-Air let alone your lid or trousers etc...

3. I'm going to get paid for the whole kit, although as part of my xmas2012 purchase I haggle like a barsteward for freebies. I got £400 worth of daytona gtx boots thrown in for free which i cannot claim as they effectively cost 1p (its actually stated on my purchase receipt). The basics are i got knocked off my motorbike which is a settled non fault collision from an insurance perspective. Although my personal claim; loss of earning & broken leg & pilon ankle plus personal itinerary the solicitor is getting close too arranging for his barrister too commence a accumulative compensation estimate.

My point about mentioning the clothing is that, I want to know what refilling the two-air bottles in the kit costs. As I've done lots & lots of researching into the D-air system. There are four types available but they are not interchangeable with motorcycles which is madness. And I'd also like too see how the jacket from ducati-dainese venture holds up to real road crashes. Compared to glossy lab style antic's

4. Thanks for posting Owen.. Glad you're OK..

I am returning to a motorcycle after a few years out and have ordered a MY2015 1200s DAir, delivery expected mid-late June.. I'm just about to buy the clothing to go with the bike so I can get a bit of riding in before taking delivery and have found the information on the WWW very scarce.. Yes, i've seen the advert and the Dainese vids but seeing this has given me so much more confidence in the system. Thank you.

Out of interest, which jacket did you have? Or did you have the vest? How did the jacket stand up? Can it be 'fixed' or do you need a new one?

Sorry for all the Q's... Am of to Manchester for the weekend with the Mrs to get to the Dianese store and get kitted out so any advice beforehand would be very much appreciated..

Also, I heard that there's a new clothing range coming out in August.. Anyone able to confirm that?

Thanks in advance,
    James

5. Hi. I had the "ducati" branded dainese jacket. About £1500. But I got such a good deal on the bike/jacket combo that it made sense at the time.

The jacket got pretty shredded which to be honest is to be expected as I went about 40-50 yards along the road on it. Another benefit seems to be ghe fact that it held my head up off the road judging by the lack of damage to my helmet.

My insurance covers £750 of damage to riding gear, which is why I am in talks with them at present.

6. Thanks Owen,
    Really helpful.. I'm going to get a jacket, too. Just not sure which one, or if I should wait for the new range which is going to be quite a bit cheaper, apparently.....

Hope all turns out OK for you.
    Cheers,
    James

7. Thanks. Make sure you try it on and walk around on it and also wear it on the bike as mine rose up slightly when on the bike. It's a lot of money so needs to be right.

8. OK.. good advice, thanks.. Did you have it zipped to dainese/ducati trousers? As I don't have a bike yet, it will be tricky to wear it on the bike... Totally agree that it needs to be right!

9. No. Separate. Wore with leathers or Kevlar jeans.

10. Sorry to hear of your off and great to hear the kit worked.

I suspect you won't get far getting anymore than the £750 for kit from your insurance company as thats the cover you and to be honest they won't be doing anything wrong in enforcing.
    Do however speak to your home contents insurers as if you have away from home cover in your policy some (not all) allow motorcycle equipment claims.

11. OK, so I guess as long as it's zipped to dainese trousers then i should't have the riding up issues.... Spoke to the guys at dainese manchester today and they were really helpful. There is a new range coming out at the end of June with much cheaper jackets available with the system built in so that's all good news! Might help you get your kit back together for less, too.... Cheers, J

12. The assessor is coming out to see the bike today ( repair estimate was £10,200 plus jacket) so pretty close to write off territory. With the TT only a few weeks away now im keen to get this settled ASAP.

Does anyone have experience of having a relatively new buike written off? as my poreference would be to get a replacement bike if possible.

Although the theory is that the jacket gets "re-filled" in reality its shredded from sliding up the road, therefore the whole lot needs replacing. which makes the Dainese comments pretty interesting if there are cheaper versions coming out.

13. If the estimated value of the repair is even close to 3/4 the insurance company will write off, this is because during repairs an estimate may rise as the risk is they find more things wrong with it.

So be prepared for a write off settlement figure I would say, typically there may be a first offer (somewhat lower) and then a second offer, in this case pictures of the bike, and proof that it was very "new" and any finance agreements and other information help push the offer to faster conclusion and a higher value.

Finally, make sure you are aware of excess and other charges and discounts and anything you have paid to be included in the final settlement, there may be things you want to add such as clothing, accident or road furniture damages and things that the insurance company will want to take off such as admin and other excesses.

It is not pretty the insurance company is now looking at you as a liability rather than an asset and its in their interest to settle quickly and as low as possible, a high value write off will be dealt with a more senior person. Make sure you are treated properly, else escalate via their complaints dept (they must have one, and they can override valutiaons - its called treating customers fairly - and failing that go to the insurance ombudsman)

bugs.

14. Bike was declared a Total Loss yesterday, Ive replaced it with a 1299 as frankly although I liked the MTS, I did miss the sportsbike element and Riders Bristol had a stock bike which they cut me a deal on as I need something to go to the TT on. As there isnt a D Air out yet in the new MTS, Ive gone back to Power Ranger territory.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information