1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4 Diary Of A Trackbike Build

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by DRR117, Jan 21, 2023.

1. 100% :joy:

…..Now back to 3D modelling some Superleggera wings for the 3D printer to really cement the tart factor :punch:

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. I’ve had carbons before, everytime I said I’d never get them again… and then buy another set. It’s an infinite loop of carbon frustration. But you only live once and they were a great price.

and 50th tyre change? :laughing: I won’t get anywhere near 50 tyre changes before the wheels or the bike are sold on :laughing::laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  3. It’s like shagging an ex. Or bonus shags as I used to call them. Fekin while back now mind…. :laughing:

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Interesting build. Surprised at the amount of corrosion on a relatively new bike, such as the purge line clips under the airbox, though these are the standard black spring steel ones (which are sh*te) that Ducati use on reservoir pipes as well. Wondering if the inlet duct lug had cracked because it was over-torqued. My eyes are still scarred by the hideous zinc passivated bolts holding the airbox to the head and the bathroom sealant on the frame. Pleased to see you are giving the bike some much needed TLC, following on from the previous owner who may well have maintained it with a hammer. Looking forward to see it's progress.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Unfortunately the Ducati ethos seems to be that wonderful design, innovative technology, premium pricing is accompanied by cheap finishing and longevity of materials.

Surely it can’t cost that more to source high quality supplies of fixings and coatings?

They have the buying power to procure these things at a much lower cost than we can as consumers.

I love Ducatis for their beauty and the emotion they evoke but it’s becoming increasingly difficult to not feel ripped off by the fact that they need to be kept in a climate controlled environment and never see any form of moisture in order to prevent every fixing from corroding.

#45 LiveFast......, Feb 1, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. fixed

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Titanium Bolts

firstly, I’m not doing this for weight saving, be far cheaper to stop eating as much and lose several stone… I’m doing it because some of the bolts need replacing as they are corroded and I like shiny new bolts

Shock bolts -

Out with the old bolts

81A8733F-8F93-4590-9380-342BF5E5AE70.jpeg

And in with the new titanium bolts. 2x M10x1.25x45

80E99F7E-D40B-4BEC-B46D-B8CCD6FDDD04.jpeg

I have association with RSR Moto, but this is the link for the bolts (£4.99 per bolt) https://ebay.us/2Vg3W4

Front Disc Bolts -

Out with the stock bolts…

BA641860-DFA1-4B34-ABC4-43963A7BC2CD.jpeg

and in with the new RSR black Titanium bolts, 30nm and a dab of thread lock

76651E98-4F59-4259-9F6D-AACFE1437C23.jpeg

I have association with RSR Moto, but this is the link for the bolts https://ebay.us/5B4h7f (£29.99)

Sump Plug

insanely light sump plug removed

14FE8644-E983-421B-875C-EC8BE8C42217.jpeg

And replaced with a magnetic titanium M12
    Race drilled plug

55EB3246-6CA9-4586-A860-BDE0E648F8B3.jpeg

I have no association with RaceBoltsUK. Bought on ebay for £25.34 https://ebay.us/ivwQG

#47 DRR117, Feb 1, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Front Brakes

Thanks to @Pablo Pirate for the Hel Performance goodies. I have no idea what Paul’s relationship is with Hel even after having a fair few bits off him in the past but if you are looking at Hel I’d recommend harassing @Pablo Pirate :upyeah:

Sold the stock calipers on for £300

Spent that and more on some black Hel calipers, red Hel translucent braided lines (Paul’s favourite :joy:) and a Hel black master cylinder.

79944755-5834-41FB-B2F9-60D41E3DE661.jpeg 55E41580-140A-49C6-A7DF-33108E3CB38C.jpeg FE6C7837-E804-417E-9FDB-C36E5E9AA8A3.jpeg

With the EBC discs I got from Tom at
    https://www.motorcycleraceparts.co.uk/ Ive noticed that the caliper spacer needs to be 10mm minimum unlike the 5mm used with the stock calipers. But Paul got them sorted for me :upyeah:

9. I use hel calipers, lines and master cylinder on my track bike. Along with ebc gpfax pads . Great set up

• Like Like x 1
  10. Love a ti bolt!

11. Does the brake res. come with the master now? Or did you get the bracket elsewhere?

12. i got hel on my gsxr though not tried them yet.

• Like Like x 1
  13. that’s off the V4 brembo master cylinder. They sadly don’t come with the reservoir.

• Like Like x 1
  14. You rate EBC discs then? Which model?

15. You’ll have sold it before you try it :p

16. quite possible mate

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. So what are you doing with the ABS.......and more importantly its contribution and involvement in things like the engine braking strategy...? which is why most in the know would advise

not to change the size of the callipers
    not to remove the ABS

if you intend keeping the std loom, ECU, and black box set up..

18. Screenshot 2023-02-02 at 08.46.41.png

It says they are 330mm so the difference why you need bigger spacers will be down to the callipers.
    I have to say I don't get the logic of all your brake combination.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. I might have missed it but what's the logic behind ditching the Stylema calipers? Surely with a Brembo RCS and maybe better discs and pads they would be about as good as you could need? Unless it's purely looks?

I too would be interested to know what the bike will do with ABS disconnected, especially if it is indeed adjusting it's engine brake strategy according to wheel 'slip' at the front (seems like a futile effort at the point the front is already locking!). I had similar issues when deciding what to do with my R1 ABS, because some said the ABS delete screwed up the Traction control, it's b*ll*x, doesn't make any difference at all.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. And all we used to worry about was Honda combined braking system meaning you couldn’t do a stoppie….

Do Not Sell My Personal Information