1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do Dealers Want To Sell Bike ?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Dibble, Aug 1, 2014.

1. but that one would be the same as well !!! " obliged to buy ",,,, what does that mean ????
    and he has got a tounge in his head and a brain, he can ask some detailed q reg the condition etc ??

#41 TTonup, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2014
  2. full whack…was a few years ago, bought a 916sps instead for same money and was immaculate and low miles

3. Others that have sold the same bike with a higher mileage and another that was on a 12 plate were all given between £8k and £8250 for theirs part exchanging for various brands so me thinking around £8k for a 14 month old bike with only 2300 miles that is listed at £11,700 new didn't seem to be being expecting too much to me. The dealer would still make money, albeit not a fortune, but profit would be in the 899, it would get me into being his customer and it would bring in servicing/parts sales etc. It would keep stock ticking over at the time of year where most things are cut to the bone to keep things moving.

I think as already said these pcp deals are taking over as it is getting people buying bikes that would not normally spend that kind of money on one no matter what brand. The dealer will not only make the profit on the bike but will get a substantial kick back from the finance company.

If the 899 pcp deal had not been put up in price substantially about three months ago I would probably have gone for one. I had a deal lined up at a local dealer, he gave me the figures etc then when I went in Ducati had changed the apr from 5.7% to 9.5% and increased the final payment which made a massive difference to the final 'to pay' figure.
    I was at my limit anyway so walked.

I will just hang on as the used 899 prices are now dropping below £10k privately and I think there will be plenty on the market next year. It may even be worth selling my bike privately a little cheaper and buying an 899 privately or just keeping the Blade as it really is a do it all bike, I cannot really fault it, just love my Ducati's !

4. if it helps, nearly 3 yr old Evo with full ohlins only got 7500, would have been 6500 without the ohlins (plies came with all the std parts)

5. So with a bit of guessing you fireblade is a 13plate? With 2300 miles? Similair to this....

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif.../radius/1500/page/1/postcode/s402bj?logcode=p

Excuse my ignorance as im not clued up on them but if yours is the same as this then its proabaly worth 7k trade.

What you given for a p/x (or someone else is given ) can be manipulated to however the dealer sees fit. The dealer could of over -allowed on teh p/x or not. Who knows? For an accurate trade price phone a few dealers and ask them to simply buy your bike. Thats its true worth. I was offered more than i paid for my 848 new against one bike. Only problem was that bike was at least 4k over-priced. Balance to change is the important figure.

The salesman who is selling the bike is paid usually a % of the profit on a used deal. He's not paid by you spending money in service/parts etc. If the deal doesnt make enoguh for the business/ salesman then i doubt you will get far. Trust me a salesman wouldnt work for £500 gross profit in a deal. He'd probaly end up with £20 commission. Its not worth his time, unless the dealer pays him a spot minmum payment. Most mtor industy basic wages are very low. £6k -10K in car trade. You cant blame them for wanting to sell each bike profitably as possible.

PCP rates are set by the manufactuer on a new bike i believe. So the fact ducati could sell every 899 it could make last year then i wouldnt blame them in trying to squeeze a bit extra out of a deal. Supply and demand.

I sold my 848 straight to local dealer for cash. I got £6200 for it. It booked at £6150 at the time. They also removed my ohlins shock (would of cost me £100 to get done). They still have the bike now at £7500. That was its true worth to them. I then purchased a 1199 as deals were very easy to get (899 was list or close).

6. Yes, I saw that bike, it is the cheapest in the country, Every other dealer has them for more than that, right up to £9500 but as you say it is the 'Balance to pay' that is the important figure. A dealer could have £2000 in a bike or £200 which as you say will affect the p/ex.
    I was offered £8k+ against a new 899 and I think I would get that and more against a lot of other bikes, maybe an 1199, but the demand for the 899 meant the dealer could ask what they wanted for them. They are starting to appear more now though so the prices are gradually dropping.

I read about a new 1199 for £13250, was that yours. That's over £3k off list, according to my dealer he makes under 10% but I don't believe him !

#46 iang27, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  7. Not sure what dealers make but I would hazard a guess at 25 to 30% - some one here will probably know - but after wages and overheads it will probably equate to 10% profit at best unless they have a good year like this year with the 899 - they have leaner years when model launches stagnate. He's probably telling the truth, remember some dealers fold as the profit isn't there at all...

8. Pmsl 25-30%!!

And the pope really does mean he wants to encourage gay marraige...

• Like Like x 1
  9. they will make v.little as a percentage. they will make a lot more on the p.x and commission from selling finance.

10. Dealers don't make anywhere near that figure. I'd hazard a guess of 10% gross Max.

My bike was 13350. It was a pre reg with 6 miles or something. I believe that different terms are offered on self registered bikes. The dealer knew a 1299 was coming I bet and didn't want a 1199 going into winter. I doubt if they made anything on mine but was merely a case of getting rid before a new model arrives.

11. To give a bit of perspective. If a 15k new fiesta is sold full up it will make 800 quid ish in the metal.

12. So what do you think the overheads of a main dealer will be per bike sale? Have no idea how many they sell?

13. allegedly they where only making 400 per punto sold 6years ago, but it will differ from zone to zone, less costs. but they aint doing it for the love of it, kind of like a petrol station, feck all on the fuel plenty on the sarnies

14. Servicing is where the money is for a dealer. Ask Finm ;)

15. ;):Angelic:

16. Don't be silly. Not all dealers are the same I can tell you first hand and I'm sure you've had good and bad experiences too.

If you've traveled 250 miles (500 round trip) to view and potentially buy a bike having forked out for fuel and taken the time, you may be more easily persuaded to make concessions on what you're after. A dodgy salesman will know this.

I'm sure the OP can speak but Id rather see photos than take someones word for it wouldn't you? Condition of a bike can be in the eye of the beholder too. One persons clean is another's well used...and that's without the vested interest of trying to sell it.

17. You couldnt calculate it by just bike sales. Everything will go into the pot and help pay for some of the overheads. Each department will have its own targets to achieve and its own interests. Assuming its a decent sized busines not a one man band.

18. for a dealer yes. for the honest back street guy not so, i will be doing well if make 5ok this year it sounds a lot but i probably put 50hrs a week in

19. Is that make, ie take away, 50k or take revenue of 50k tho.

20. Remind us how many hours you have done this week? ;)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information