1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do You Physicaly Prepare For A Long Touring Trip?

Discussion in 'Touring' started by Roger Coleman, Apr 19, 2024.

1. Thread moved

2. I do physically prepeare and it is essential because everything multiplies by a few fold when on tour so I try to ease into it. You can’t just go from occasional weekends to every day in one leap!

I start increasing my drinking around a week out and then double down with a few days to go. Starting with beer then some wine - finishing with shots so you are acclimatized and ready for the challenge.

I hope this helps ! ;-)
    Enjoy your trip

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Severe arse pain can be a problem. This is often compounded by a firm seat and underseat exhausts.

I prepare for this on long winter nights by stripping from the waist down and sitting on a steel spike or bed of nails whilst simultaneously wafting a blowtorch over my conkers.

Start practising your shouting which I find overcomes most language barriers.

You may also want to practice the European biker wave by strengthening your leg cocking muscles. A bit of Riverdance or some other Irish jig may help. The Europeans seem to favour leg waving instead of hands.

Have fun.

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. At 59.9 yo, I’m now doing 10 hours a week exercise, a mix of cycling, HIIT with a PT and Yoga class, plus a few adhoc things, swimming starts again in May.
    I’ve never prepared specifically for long mc trips, I usually find the first couple of days hard work but mid week I’m into the groove.

5. Hi, It is a good idea to get into some reasonable shape before your tour. I just tend to do some reasonable length rides, on a fairly regular basis, and apart from that a fair bit of walking. It seems to work for me and I am 78, and, of course, riding to WDW this year again. Hope the tour is the first of many for you.

• Like Like x 3
  6. We’re off in just under 2 weeks for our Euro trip, I’ve done about 300 miles on the bike this year. But, I’ve been making sure I’m able to eat and drink as much as I can, and am a dab hand at clearing my internet browsing history, so am ready to go!

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information