1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodgy Dealer Dilemma

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by AlfG, Jul 9, 2014.

1. those manikins are great to sleep with arn't they. no moaning.

2. The ad says it's 1199cc but it's a 996. Is it really? What sort of motor has it got, a Testastretta? No mention of mileage. But it looks brilliant and indeed a lot of bike for the cash.

3. So is it a genuine limited edition fogarty rep........or just a 996 sps made up to look like one.....with a load of bolt on bling...

just saying like...

4. I think it's just bolt on bling

5. It's a 1997 916 SPS with a standard 996 SPS engine that was tuned to WSB spec by JHP at a cost of £10k.

This was as damn near a foggy bike as possible when built, but somebody has changed the wheels to black from grey which isn't right. Also, it originally had black corse indicator that looked very smart, but these have since been changed to some ally units. If anybody has any corse indicators please let me know.

The spec is amazing and attention to detail incredible, the adverts don't actually show much. It even has Magneti Marelli race dash.

The mileage is recorded through MOT's as 1200.

I have been speaking to the original owner, chris addis who built the bike and owned it until 2002 and he has been very helpful filling me in on all the details.

I would consider the bolt ons more than just bling, they are all genuine top spec at that time race components, but I appreciate some people would prefer a standard bike.

#226 AlfG, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  6. i dont mean to pish on your parade as lovely as the bike is and i do mean that, ........its not a foggy rep...

secondly if its truly a WSB spec engine then you had better familiarise yourself with the service intervals and schedules...something like valves piston rods bearings every 500 kilometres.....

sometimes with ducati's we need to see the wood for the trees....

7. Fpmsl 30k for. Foggy rep. Thanks for the laugh on a saturday morning

8. Go on, Andy, don't stop there ... tell him about Santa Claus as well ...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Much better than the £30k foggy rep above though if it was about half the money - better spec, better looking too! Good choice sir :upyeah:

10. but its not a foggy rep...

11. still got an interesting history from what i have read already.
    if you can afford it, do it.
    as you my have noticed, i am not the (need to justify it) kind of guy.

12. But he never said it was, its an SPS, that's what he wanted and that's what he bought...

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. He never said it was....

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. He doesn't want a Foggy Rep as sold in the store. He wants a Foggy Rep as raced on circuits at that time and that's exactly what he has found. Good on you sir!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. I don't think I have ever said it was a 'Foggy rep' and I am aware these were little more than a regular SPS with a paint job.

This bike is a replica of foggy's bike, so close, that Carl has kindly agreed to come and sign it for me, when he gets back from WDW.

Thanks for your concerns regarding the engine, and I have spoken to JHP on this. I doubt I will ride it (how could I replace the parts should anything happen) but when required, JHP offer a free van pickup and drop off service which is nice to know.

I am told she isn't the easiest thing to ride, as one might expect, and I know that as with anything slightly unusual there will be untold costs associated with it (it took 3 weeks to get the rear caliper rebuild kit), but I am happy looking at the forest, and I'll let the woodsmen deal with what's going on inside.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1

16. Have you had it fully serviced prior to pick up? Just check all runs OK before you finally exchange and if you want some advice on long term storage without having to cold start it periodically drop me a PM and I'll tell you what I have found to be the best after asking a lot of people.

17. Thanks for the tip, and there are products that claim the seal the tank but John tells me they have tried most of them and they don't work. I don't know which ones they have tested so impossible to say there isn't a product that will work, but if I don't want to replace a tank so will look for the fuel suggested.

18. Why do you need the fuel if your not going to ride it? Are you going to toast it every night before bed!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Wont matter if you're not going to ride it :Banghead:

I fail to see any point whatsoever in buying any bike which will not be used fairly regularly, even if that just means every weekend in the summer when its dry. Even Sammy Miller gets loads of those bikes out and rides them occasionally.

Seems an absolute waste of what sounds like a beast of a bike

But hey its your money and your life

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information