1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati Panigale 1199s Tricolore Stolen £2000 Reward

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Simon Gatehouse, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Mines black. If it is your brother in laws I've seen, his is not.

2. Bens is red, not that really narrows it down as most are.

3. Well I've seen a red one parked in that area and also a PP.

4. His is a base model, likely dirty as he does a fair amount of miles commuting

5. Mine had its 2nd clean the other day. Had it since March and done 7000 miles [emoji51]

6. I am a worried about parking my bike anywhere I can't see it. I don't live in a bad area nor is the town near me but I am aware it does not take long and some places might even be monitored by certain types + the second hand price of duke parts seems to be higher than that of similar age Jap models.

Anything shiny with shiny bits on it, is easy money.

If you've spent time in or around certain parts of london. You will perhaps come to know or see the methods these people use and there is not a lot you can do to stop them.

I'd be aware of (people lifting them into vans with the alarms going off) as seen on TV or the more brave may even swap a wheel of undo brake calipers and discs. I am sure they have a got a lot more sophisticated too.

For the reasons above I won't be riding my bike to certain places mentioned on the forum because I would not be able to relax leaving it unattended.

7. Have you posted it on Facebook? Ask people to share it! Make it to hot to handle! Good luck !!

8. That's not necessarily true.

I'm a criminal barrister and about 6 months ago I represented a guy who was found with half a dozen nicked cars. He pleaded guilty to handling stolen goods and got 4 years. A lot depends on their record - if you've got previous and it's not just a casual handling of a stolen vehicle and there's any suggestion you're part of a professional set up then you're looking at jail time.

9. But even in a non-professional set up, stricter punishment may result in a decline in this attitude of 'It's easier for me to take someone else's hard earned'. The punishment needs to outweigh the reward for criminal success.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Bike theft is rarely a casual opportunist thing. It almost always involves planning and an element of sophistication and therefore professionalism (which are aggravating features) because tools, technical knowlege, vans and accomplices are necessary. It's also hardly ever a one off, so when a bike thief gets caught, they're often found to be in possession of other stolen bikes or parts.

The weak deterrent isn't the likely sentence, it is the unlikelihood of detection for any individual bike theft.

In the USA sentences are a lot harsher than the UK for any given offence but I don't think they have lower crime rates. Probably the opposite actually.

Having lost two bikes to thefts from outside my house and continually worrying about leaving my present bikes parked up anywhere, I wish I knew what the solution was.

#50 Zhed46, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  11. This ebay seller seems to be selling some nice clean 1199 parts and even engine parts ?

lizzyjane007 | eBay

Maybe legit, who knows ?

12. That's where mine ended up. When police asked him, seller was apparently auctioning it all off as he was upgrading those parts. Upgrading to what! They were top spec R parts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. If it was smart watered you could buy a bit, then check it...

14. I've used smart water for a while now with parts I sell. Mainly to stop people trying to rip me off by claiming the parts I've sold them are faulty then returning their old knackered parts for a full refund.

image.jpg

15. With regards to people braking good bikes to sell on eBay. Not always it is a stolen bike. New panigale is worth less as a hole bike then stripped for parts. Buying 2nd hand low mileage gives even better return.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. I still can't get my head around this one being worth more in parts than a likely £15K value even with the premium parts taken into account...
    DUCATI 1098R 2009 BREAKING 848 1098 1198 749 999 STREETFIGHTER | eBay

17. Exige honestly?

Forks 1000
    Yokes 500
    Rims 500
    Dash 400
    ECU (Termi one from R) 400
    Full system (upgrade to 1098s and so on) about 800
    Rear shock 450
    steering damper 200
    Loom 150
    Injectors 50
    Tank (alloy) 350
    Panels 1000
    mirrors 100 for pair
    lights 100
    light bucket 100
    Callipers 350
    Brake master 150
    Clutch master 150
    Fuel pump 100
    Watr cooler 100
    Oil cooler 100
    R engine 4000

There will be few more bits going for probalby another 1000

Yes it still does not reach 15k but I did not split hte bike like they do. Entire R engine is about 4k in good nick, 3k well used
    But in parts will be worth about 6k.

All the R heads parts sold independently (valves, rockers, cams)
    pistons/cylinders
    R crank
    R conrods (titanium)
    Then all other smal lbits and pieces like gears, starter motors, cases, covers

They are worth more in parts cause many buying on ebay do not look at prices from dealers. On average they will charge 20-30 GBP for throttle cable that is new 35.......

18. Thanks, couldn't be bothered to detail it to check, but even with £6k back for a split engine (which I find hard to imagine would add up to £6k) it still doesn't add up :)

19. I did not do proper splits trust me. Done cheaper bike splits few times. Think small. Each cylinder head stud is 15gbp x8

20. Clip ons, odd size bolts, other lights, battery buckets, airbox, throttle bodies, idle servo, tps, sensors, exhaust valve, water lines, oil lines, swing arm......

Do Not Sell My Personal Information