1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati parked outdoors

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by ottoatom, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Think I would be tapping into that light unit someone so kindly placed just above your bike:wink:

Find out you local Fastener supplier for stainless cap heads and do a few each week:smile:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Get some plywood shuttering for the open side and a door for the front, put some carpet down, hook a fridge, stocked with beer, into that light fitting, hang assorted Ducati/ naked women pictures on the wall then stand back with a beer and admire your new garage. Don`t forget to post pics in the man/woman cave thread, sorted :upyeah:.

• Like Like x 1
  3. wow so many replies, this forum is great!

Philoldsmobile the problem with the fairing of that 2004 749 I rode was mainly from the sun. The sun cracked the plastic open, you know? like when you find some old plastic can outdoors and gets eaten by UVs, well in Lisbon you have plenty of them UVs and that bike really looked like it spend all it's life under the sun. Also, I think that for being a 749 dark, the paint finish in matt did not help. Anyway in that semi covered place I got for my future duc, I am sure the sun won't be a problem because it's facing North.

Putting a semi rigid protection and tapping the light unit would be sweet but would not go very well with my new neighbors I think.. I don't want to be the guy that "just arrived and is already messing up the place". I will use a cover, but a flexible one that I can store in a backpack, and in time when I get to know people in the building, I will think about buying one tent-like cover.. It does looks nice. As for the battery optimizer, I found the oxford photo voltaic unit which seems ideal and for 40£ looks like a great bargain. Has anyone ever used it? I will be using the bike as a commuter so battery as it seems will maybe not be so much of a problem, but from times to times connecting it to a battery optimizer is more than appropriate I think.

I will use an Anchor for sure as I think is the best way to protect a bike against robbery (besides a garage with an alarm of course...and a dog and a minefield). Do you guys know how to install it? do I need some kind of permission from my borough's council? Or am I free to drill the floor as I need to put an anchor?

4. Id personally look for somewhere else to put it, at least where you can lock it to something solid, or if uv a car u can back in and close off the bike - but needs must as the devil drives

5. I would not ask permission it will take 20 committee meetings and a massive 3 year enquiry before the eyes to the left or the nose to the right decide you can drill 2 holes for you wall anchor. Just do it and if anyone ever says anything just say it was already there.

Must admit I would not leave a Honda C90 there, are there no cheap garages for rent locally just so its out of sight

6. My 2005 Multistrada has lived outside for 3 years with no rust problems, and is doused in ACF50 to keep it that way. However being a Multi the rain periodically gets into the clocks and fuel breather system and fuddles it.

Ducatis are actually pretty solidly made from the corrosion point of view!

7. This parking place is facing the street but it is a bit lower so you'd have to be looking down to see the parking place, also if there are cars parked near the bike, as they have been since I moved in, the bike would be hidden from the street.

But it is not ideal of course, I know it. I could start looking for garages but I havent seen any in so far. Also, would it really be safer parked in a garage far from me? If the alarm goes off here I would just have to go to the kitchen window and see whats up and rocket out of the flat if needed in 3s. Store my bike in a garage that I cannot even see does not make a lot more sense to me. But I may be wrong.

I have been informing myself with insurance service and fees and I was surprised to see that you have an option for theft insurance, even if it's horribly expensive... Is it a common thing to ask for a theft insurance in GB? In Portugal we usually have insurance only for third parties on bikes, which was what I was aiming for here but If I can find an affordable one here that would certainly be ok!

Anyway, thanks a lot guys for your opinions. I will make the best of them, even if I end up buying a scooter :p (not...)

8. Battery optimisers - never used one on any of my Ducatis.
    In the season, I often leave my 999 a couple of weeks without riding it - starts first time. During the winter when I don't ride it (say November to March) I charge up the battery maybe 2 or 3 times (if it's lucky). I have no electricity in my garage and faffing about with long extension leads from the house in the snow or driving rain is too much of a pain. Sure the battery is normally a bit flat and sometimes need to bump start it at the beginning of the season (when it's been sitting in an unheated garage for 4 months) but then just go out for a blast and that's it - battery charged and happy.
    The 907ie did used to flatten its battery quite easily, but the 851, 916, 749 and 999 have all been fine.

As for leaving things out in the elements. Hmm. A bit horrible but that's what life is like sometimes. My Pantah lived outside in Liverpool (where it rains all the time) under a canvas cover. It was fine. The 851 and the 906 had to live outside too (under the same canvas cover) during the Swiss season, but I used to find a garage to rent for the winter when I wasn't riding them. Riding in the freezing cold and snow when I could be skiing is not my idea of a lark.

As things are now all made of plastic and aluminium, most of the bike is pretty waterproof. But I wouldn't want to show my Ducati any salt.

9. I would never have a bike without theft insurance. That's a lot of two-wheeled cash to leave lying around for someone to pick up.

10. id check these sites for a garage near you

Rent a Parking Space or Garage from ParkLet
    Parking Spaces, Driveways and Garages for Rent | ParkatmyHouse

if it must live outside, use ACF50 as others have said, invest in a good cover such as the an oxford stormex, install a ground anchor such as the hardie secure and get an almax chain with heavy duty CISA or Squire padlock

if a solar cell is not an option buy a 2nd battery and keep it on charge indoors. if you take lots if shor journeys or dont ride it for a while, swap them to make sure your not left stranded

i would also look at a datatool tracker as some shitbag will try and lift a tasty bike like that eventually

#30 funkatronic, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  11. Quite right. Always remember, folks, begging forgiveness is easier than asking permission ....

Personally, I wouldn't be concerned about the weather under there, some winter protection )ACF-50 or the Scottoiler spray) and a cover, Almax chain and anchor, should be fine.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information