1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati vs other leading Brands

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by spluck1, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Coppia Non Si Accelera

which basically means

Torque NOT speed ;)

Why do I like this bike? - I have to ride it - not just a passenger - plus I'm Italian! ;)

2. It's the engine, just the engine, for me. Sure, I like the fire engine paintjobs and the sexy looks. They sure handle well, but then so do most bikes these days, and they sound great, but then so does a TL1000 and a VTR. No, it's the engine that draws me to Ducati. All that lovely meaty torque at real road speeds, and feeling of strength, like there's a surly blacksmith swinging a clubhammer inside the crankcases, biceps for conrods, fists for pistons.

3. Love of Ducati comes from the heart not the head

It's a passion you fall in love

There is no going back you are consumed

There is a following of like minded people unknown with any other brand

Plus its a Nice Bike innit :pop

4. Harley Davidson? :wink:

5. Like minded not brainless

• Like Like x 1
  6. Having ridden lots of functional (and mostly fun) bikes over the past 24 years, I was looking for another big trail bike (easy to maintain, good high commute position, can green lane a bit, etc), then in 2009 the previous owner of Artemisia said she had to go (was a regular on another forum).

I'd never had a sports bike and only ever looked admiringly at passing Ducatis (thinking "I could never afford/justify one of those"). So, beauty and exclusivity do draw initially.

So scratched the extra few quid together, and went for a test ride - bejesus she was more gorgeous in the flesh, and the straight through Carbon Termis hit a note that seemed to be at a harmonic frequency of my rib cage.

test ride was interesting, a cool wet Scottish spring morning meant no shenanigans allowed, but still ridden even cautiously the 'involving" ride and intoxicating noises (bass Termis plus tambourine clutch) meant that she was to be mine.

3 & 1/2 years on, I have gone through 3 cars, 3 women and two jobs, but Artemisia is still there (I had looked at a BMW S1000RR, but just couldn't even book a test ride).

Pete

7. That was a bit harsh - especially as I owned one in my 20's

Might have something to do with having a tooth extracted in an hour

8. How are you feeling now? Any cheerier?

9. Nope realised as I walked in the dentist door it is indeed tomorrow

10. School girl error :tongue:

11. Design: aesthetics. Over other brands, Ducatis tend to look classier. They are often ground breaking designs that others try to follow (and if they steal, they steal the best bits and improve on them).
    851 - first liquid-cooled 4 valve twin with demodromic valve gear (er... first liquid-cooled 4 valve Ducati, then). Looked the biz, was the biz.
    916 - iconic design, tiny for a 900cc bike, underseat exhausts (then copied by everyone), single sided swinger (even if stolen from Honda, stolen from Piaggio).
    Monster - category defining when it came out.
    Multistrada - a new type of bike
    Diavel - a new type of cruiser.

etc etc.

That the designs work has been proven in racing WSBK. OK, the goalposts may have been moved to suit Ducati, but they are the winningest brand.

Feel: the twin is alive. It is a hugely involving engine, giving you low-end stomp (practical), but high-end zing and power. It sounds fantastic, it is fantastic. I once rode Honda's answer to the Ducati, the VTR. The whole feel of the bike and especially the engine, was rubbish compared to my 916. In the Ducati, the twin is almost liquid, it feels smooth; when it gets to torque crest (about 6'000 rpm) the slightest hint of more throttle and the bike surges forward with urgency. It's a great place to be. The engine feels as if it has been superbly engineered.

Handling: better than the owner. You don't have to make allowances for the bike's handling. If you have the balls, it will corner further and faster. Even a Multistrada 620 still feels like a Ducati. This is hugely confidence inspiring. I have ridden many other bikes which ultimately, you don't trust. The Ducati delivers the clichéd "on rails" feeling. Not so much as train, as a mad roller-coaster.

These three things make up the Ducati ethos and the strength of the brand. After that, the kudos that accrues from ownership is just a result of these three fundamentals. It might not be a reason to choose the brand, but it's quite a nice add-on.

12. Yyy Apple, Ferrari

13. Spluck.... Its about Soul and Passion - These bikes speak to your subconscious and you either get it or you don't. If you do get it, then it never ever leaves you. I had countless Jap Bikes and was always changing it for the next latest and greatest superbike slayer - blades, zxrs, R1s etc... then I bought a 998 and I just fell in love instantly.... and I would never ever ever ever go back to Japanese.

Ducatisti are also a very close and warm friendly family - I've met more people who I can count as dear friends in 8 years of owning dukes, than I have in the previous 20 of riding Jap stuff.

When you buy in to this Brand - you dont so much buy a bike, as marry in to the family, present a dowry to the Brides Parents and then they give you a family runaround! (only problem is that you usually have to pay bloody maintenance aswell!!!!!!!)

14. Not even a RC30 998gsb ? :wink:

15. The only bike that endeared me more was the mighty MZ...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Let me quote my Haynes manual:

"More than any other factory, with the possible exception of Norton, the history of Ducati is the history of it's racing. From the early days with the lightweight singles in 125cc GP, to the bevel drive V-twins winning the Imola 200, Mike Hailwood's legendary return to the Isle of Man, a hatful of World TT Formula 2 titles with the Pantah, Daytona Battle of the Twins success with Marco Lucchinelli, the triumphant entry to Superbike racing with the high-tech 888 and then the mighty 916, racing has shown the way. Every one of these victories is engraved on the minds-and hearts-of racing enthusiasts all over the world. There is a romance about Ducati that only an Italian factory could generate. This is underlined by the personal nature of these achievements."

That statement was written just after the release of the 996. For me, it is still true- but I await to see what happens to the brand's identity with the take-over of Audi, a German manufacturer who's philosophy is just about the opposite of the Italians. Similar to their take-over of Lamborghini, it seems they are doing this to combine the best of both worlds- proven German reliability with the attraction of Italian flair. Only time will tell.....

17. @imola - whilst I'd like to own an RC - or even just ride one once - I wouldn't sell the Ducati for one!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information