1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Dyno Comparison - Standard V Termi Exhaust

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by tobers, Oct 6, 2015.

1. I've got another dyno run set up for Saturday. Like the EU in Brussels, I'll keep going until I get the result I want :).

This one is at a different dyno shop so, different dynos aside, it'll be interesting to see what the results are.

2. Just a thought, not sae was it? The Yankees use a different calibration and also seem 10% down on uk.

Most dynos convert to UK Bhp I could be dreaming that of course...

3. Very interesting read thanks !
    I can't help thinking DVT has something to do with it...
    How do you "tune" an exhaust to perform with the additional variable of valve timing ...?
    Ps - is your mate on the S1000XR a certain mr Bacon ? :Eggonface:

4. Right had mine tested this morning:-
    MY DVT has 5k Plus miles on it now, I also run V power / Super unleaded
    Remember this is with Termi fitted and Ducati up map in sport mode with ABS, Traction, Wheelie Control turned off.
    I do not have a Dyno test before exhaust was fitted.
    HM Racing did it, good of them to do it this morning for me after contacting them this morning. They stated as par for course HP at crank looses generally 15% by time it gets to the back wheel, so 160-24 = 136 HP at rear wheel Of course this is before Exhaust is fitted, which as we know Termi state increase in power.
    Another note, although not to sure how much you can count on this info. The Ducati APP gave me 133 @ 9006 RPM max power before exhaust was fitted, and since exhaust fitted I have recorded 145 HP @ 8121 RPM
    I cannot stress though how much I think there is an improvement in acceleration at 3.5k RPM upwards in all gears compared to before the exhaust was fitted. The difference being for me well worth the cost of the exhaust, but questions have to be asked though clearly in standard mode (Standard Exhaust) for me the bike is lacking power to what is claimed by Ducati, and I have always maintained that compared to my old 1200 S 63 plate, lower end / mid range pull was more instant and harder on my 63 plate.
    HM racing also stated little could be done by them, as there is no Power commander map that can be loaded yet, (seems there was not one for 14 plate either) and because of the Closed Loop system of Ducati, they cannot adjust the bottom / mid range.

HM Dyno DVT003_WEB.jpg

HM Dyno DVT002_WEB.jpg

HM Dyno DVT001_WEB.jpg

#44 MaDProFF, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Good work Madproff! Thanks for sharing. Looks like their printer is better than the guys who did mine.

Was that baffle in or out?

Your numbers are consistent with my "baffle in" numbers. Interesting that they said 15% loss to the rear wheel - that's more than I was told at Steve Jordan's, where they reckoned it was more like 10%.

6. Baffle out. TBH I cannot see having the baffle in or out would make a lot of difference it is just a short tube.
    Their general comment was most Ducati's run lean at the bottom end, so should / could easily be improved, but they just cant as this so called "Closed loop"

7. In this case no, but a friend of both me and Bacon, also with taste poor enough to result in buying an XR.

Interesting....I'd expect some differences with the baffle in as it is intrinsically restrictive - see my graphs as a demonstration.

#47 tobers, Oct 7, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I personally was never impressed with the overall low end pull of the new DVT with the standard exhaust, it annoyed me that you had to hold a higher gear to overtake, I hate riding bikes you have to rev to use the power, the Termi for me has made it that you do not have to do this anymore, from 3.5 to 4k it is instant pull and quite hard, to like 6k and then bang it is off like a rocket, I don't want a rocket every time either, I know I am riding in 1 lower gear if not 2 sometimes for the same acceleration under 6k RPM exactly as you would expect. I am annoyed though I had to spend the cost of an exhaust to get it to where it should have been in the first place.
    Maybe there will be future updates in fuel maps from Ducati for both standard and Termi Exhausts, but now I am in a happy state with the bike.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Db killer in or out makes a significant difference to the grunt on a non DVT as it alters the back pressure which has an effect on gas flow, (ie more grunt with db killer in). Gas flow is all about valve timing which is constant on the "old" engine. Is the DVT compensating or adjusting to affect this difference in back pressure..?
    Either way should have more power all around with no cat and the right map.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Loss from clutch to rear wheel is typically 10hp, this is easily measured by doing a pull and at the end of the pull pull clutch in and then see what the negative hp is. I dont know how much the primary drive steals but it cant be very much no.
    Reading the dyno charts using the SAE correction set of rules is a good idea, as it corrects for different weather very very good, rest of the CF's are not very good at that.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Exactly the same here - the Termi has transformed the bike. I'm also running a 42t rear sprocket which really helps things. Plus the white stripes - OMG I love them. My bike rocks!

• Like Like x 1
  12. I suspect its more to do with Euro 4 and getting the bike through that. The changes in noise and emissions limits from Euro 3 to Euro 4 are big.

• Like Like x 1
  13. 133hp and 84lb ft!??!

Im taking mine back it it is!! Explains why it feels so much less punchy than the old one

Best thread in ages btw. Absolute ages. Bike related, hardly any 'banter', inforative and full of info and opinions!!

More please :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. As far as I know the DVT is a bit stronger than the old ones for most RPMs, BUT its actually weaker around 5000, so I wouldnt applaud the effort as you would typically use the MTS at that RPM. All of the MTS1200's are very strong for the intent though, silly strong tourer, so dont get me wrong here. All I do is dyno the bikes, I dont even own one :)
    While in the MTS chassis its restricted as I did map a 999 with diavel engine in it and in that chassis it did way better all around and a top end figure of 150 compared to 137 in the MTS chassis. So if youre looking to improve power on the MTS you need to learn what holds it back in the MTS chassis, 2c.

To make it more difficult individuals vary quite a lot, I have just dynoed two DVT fully original ones and one was at 134 and the other 137 (SAE corrected on a dynojet 250i). And you wrinkle your nose perhaps but a stock 2013 is at 132 in this dyno.

Its long post I know :) Lets say I were to add numbers up to Ducati standards; Id take the 137, add 10hp from rear to the clutch (actual case), which is 147 and then Ducati uses euro HP which is 1/0.986 of the 147, and then add say 2hp for the primary drive -> 152 I would recommend them to print in the broschure. So with marketing and all set to go eight horses are missing, not too bad imo.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Its best not to get too hung up on max bhp figures IMHO. Its where its makes the power that is most important, at least as far as bikes for road use go. Thats why i was a bit surprised when i rode the DVT and it seemed flat at low to mid RPM.

Its also why i prefer twins to IL4s.

Incidentally it will be interesting to see if the new 959 Panigale makes for a torquier engine with more CCs or if the increase is just to make up for the Euro 4 stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Agree fully, youd use the MTS from 3k to 5k.
    Actually the DVT is better up and until 4500rpm and then it takes a dive, I think this upsets buyers, and I can understand that. It will also make it look worse than it actually is as its better before and after. Its got a relative dip no doubt, but its still a silly strong bike.
    However its nowhere close to the 999 chassied bike with an untouched Diavel engine, makes you go figure dont it :)

17. ;)

#57 Hyperextended, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2016
  18. @TomTom, think you are missing the point a little at the original OP, the post was partly questioning why with an exhaust upgrade the figures go down from stock on paper, but the bike feels stronger, mine is with a termi exhaust showing figures you think is acceptable as stock, but the bike again feels stronger than when it was stock.
    Personally the DVT is not really usable from 3k it is more 3.5k to 6k for me, now I understand why a DVT would feel less urgent than a non DVT at say 3k a compromise for smooth against power fair enough, but after 3k I would expect the DVT to at least perform as well as the old one up to say 6k, and it never did in my view until I added the exhaust.
    I will again stress when I say "feels stronger" it really was quite a difference, and after doing over 4.5k on stock exhaust I would assume by then I had got a general feel for the bike

19. @Hyperextended Mine so far is 145 HP :p but the most i ever recorded was 133 on stock exhaust but tbf I never really tried, and also the APP was in early stages of beta, and I nver used it that often, 145HP was today it was damp today, so maybe it might go up a couple of HP on another ride soon :)
    ? is for me as to why it feels so different in power on the new exhaust compared to the old stock exhaust, and still show on average what you would expect on a stock exhaust on a dyno reading on a termi
    I suppose over the weekend could put baffle in and see if the app gives a higher HP reading
    Another Question:- Would the APP recording have a different HP reading depending on traction, and wheely control settings, ???????? I pretty well only ever use touring, and enduro modes which I have modified, with with settings for traction and wheely etc. maybe set to 0 and see if I get a higher reading on the app.
    My Dyno reading was all at 0 though

• Like Like x 1
  20. Sure I didnt answer that, you are right, I just tried to fill in on a few things, trying to stop rumors on parasitic loss.
    Did you try your stuff out in the dyno? Reason for asking that is that if you build a bigger pit before it catches on it feels more vivid. Not saying youre deluded just saying what caught people out before. Not being personal at all just saying butt dyno is not good for real life performance, hope I was reasonably clear here :)

#60 TomTom, Oct 7, 2015
Do Not Sell My Personal Information