1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Dyno Comparison - Standard V Termi Exhaust

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by tobers, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Thanks for clarifying.

2. Just found the installation instructions for the "Racing complete exhaust system kit" on the Proitalia website - bit late now but may be useful for others.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Interesting - I was speaking with my local dealership about this a couple of days ago and they were certain that the "race use only" limitation is only because it won't meet the euro emissions standards (and possibly some noise limits) and that having such a system would not cause a bike to fail an MOT - so can it be "illegal"?

4. Don't know what all the fuss is about. It's obvious that VAG have installed defeat software in the ECU,so that the bike knows when it is being Dyno'd and responds accordingly. All you need to do is trick the bike so that it doesn't know it's being Dyno'd!;)

5. My full Termignoni system is logged with Carol Nash as a performance mod.
    They said if it increased performance by less than 10% there would be no increase to premium, (I'd say Tobers has ample evidence this is the case... ).
    They didn't ask if it was kite marked or not, only if it was dealer supplied.
    Old bill once did a "roadside MOT" on my 1200 GS running a wide bore BOS system with no db killer.
    Exact words were "that's a bit fruity sir" and sent me on my way

6. If its not stamped with anything, and is 'as most of that model are' its legal in the UK.

7. It should only be illegal to sell it and suggest a performance increase, not be illegal to fit it :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. On closer inspection I found a faint "not for road use" on the rear inner band of the silencer.

9. Tobers, for MOT all you need to do is cover the wording up or burnish it off. MOT inspectors cant remove stuff ( if you cover it) and dont care if words are unreadable, if they see them they have to fail the bike. Not a problem for a few years though. Re the police, its not a street legal can but you have to be unlucky to get pulled by a knowledgable and anal cop.

10. My understanding is its not currently within an MOT stations remit to judge legality, they check if the vehicle is mechanically roadworthy from a safety point of view.
    I Mot'd my Buell S1W with straight through 2.5" race pipe for years, never failed on noise, always got an advisory for "noisy exhaust"...
    Also commuted 45k miles into London on it over the years and never got stopped for noise.
    I know it's ultimately anti-social but I prefer car drivers/cyclist & pedestrians to hear me and if they can feel the vibrations too - even better ! :Wideyed::upyeah:

11. Conversation with the MoT tester earlier this year: [Shouted] "So, it's road legal, is it?". Me, "Pardon?". Him, "What…??" <hits kill switch, echoes slowly die away>. Me, "Nothing on it to say otherwise… …and it's a factory supplied and homologated exhaust". I've of course no idea what's under the aluminium tape applied by the previous owner. 749R+full titanium Termi system. ;)

12. Hi - Is that the sport or the touring one? Just on the website the sport one looks really short thats all

13. It's the sport one. On the pic of my bike, the screen is in the raised position.

14. ...and is that a good height do youi think, in terms of wind deflection etc..?

15. It's smooth airflow rather than air deflected over your head. Probably best to move this discussion out to one of the windscreen threads rather than this exhaust/mapping thread.

16. Tobers, your bike is looking real sweet :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  17. I second that, very smart, makes mine look very plain.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Well I'm totally confused by this thread. I was considering an upgrade to a full system but after reading this I'm not too sure. If a full termi system is fitted does it have to have a remap? Would my local dealer do it? Would just an end can have similar benefit?

My DVT deffo has a flat spot on the curve and even if a full system only sorted that out I'd be happy bunny. Not that I feel the bike lacks power but it does need to be ridden at high revs. My riding style is around 4K to 5k so just around the more sluggish range.

I'm now thinking that maybe next year they will bring a new version with the DVT engine sorted in terms of curve and power delivery so my money might be better saved for that?

Great reading though, even though most of it goes over my head. I thought when I started reading it would clear my mind about the termi but it's confused the issue to be honest.

Could do with a basic summary in idiot terminology about what if anything I could expect and if a remap is required.

19. Thanks - it's epic to ride. Once I sort a plain hanger for the exhaust I'll be very happy. The Termi only comes with a footrest hanger which is a bit ugly.

[​IMG]Ducati Multistrada by Tobers, on Flickr

#139 tobers, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  20. Hopefully I can help.

The main difference with the Termi is that torque comes earlier and stronger making the bike much more responsive to ride. Top end seems unaffected. The main riding zone (midrange) is much improved. It feels much better than the dyno lines indicate.

The full Termi system comes with a thing like a USB key that plugs into the ECU and uploads a performance map (named Ducati Performance 2 or DP2) to the ECU. It's referred to as an "upmap".

The key is linked to the bike so it can only be used on one bike at a time. The upload has to be done my a dealer on the Ducati system. No charge to me from the excellent Snells.

The key also allows the removal of the exhaust valve and ensures that its absence does not trigger a "check engine" warning light.

The full system can be fitted DIY if you're remotely competent. It eliminates the cat and the exhaust valve.

Hope that helps.

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information