1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ed Miliband vs the Daily Mail

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by mattmccabebrown, Oct 1, 2013.

1. The whole "price of a loaf of bread/pint of milk" thing is a complete load of bollocks. I haven't a clue what they cost. All I know is that they are cheap in the scheme of things. Once you've paid your utility bills, your tax, mortgage, petrol and God knows what else, you really think that it matters what a pint of milk costs? Unless you were bathing regularly in the stuff, or filling your swimming pool with it, it's a pathetically trifling amount.

If the great British public are so poor they can't afford milk or bread, how come they seem to be able to go to MacDonalds or survive on a diet of expensive ready meals?

Too bad the politicians don't call it like they see it when asked this pointless question.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Which would probably be because he tried to follow Fig on his numpty and could carry the corner speed lol

• Like Like x 1
  3. Must be one charming motherfucking pig

• Like Like x 1
  4. So just remind me who introduced Gordon Brown to this thread and which of his achievements was being held up as being so noteworthy?

5. Gordon Brown did a great job. Raped all the private pensions, spent all the war chest and generally threw us to the irresponsible lions of capitalist greed. You'd have sworn he was a Tory...

6. As I recall, George Osborne, the present Chancellor of the Exchequer, said in a recent conference speech that he planned for there to be a surplus in the public accounts, perhaps by 2020, and that some of the accumulated public debt could be paid down. I mentioned that the last time anyone managed to do that was Gordon Brown, in the 1997-2001 period, and I thought Osborne would struggle to match what Brown did in that respect. Actually running a surplus is very difficult and has many drawbacks - I think any chancellor would find it almost impossible.

It seems to me that what I said was factually accurate, and really little more than a statement of the bleedin' obvious. Nevertheless, you seemed to take issue with it. OK, that's up to you.

7. If Boris was asked about the price of bread, he would quote a Roman historian with a Latin tag about what the price of bread and circuses was in 27BC. And everybody would love it.

8. The whole ten years John Prescott was the Deputy Prime Minister, people continually sniped and sneered at him for his working class background, limited education, and lack of verbal facility.

9. The exact words were

it was achieved by Gordon Brown. So three cheers for Gordon then

and I pointed out that as it occurred immediately after a period of conservative government and by following the existing Conservative spending plans Gordon really had very little to do with it.

This is something that you seemed to take issue with. Which is up to you.

10. 'Make mine a gin and tonic :upyeah:'

11. Reprise:
    Ed Milliband said in a speech last week that land hoarded by property developers would be compulsorily purchased - "use the land or lose the land". The Daily Telegraph reported this as "Milliband's Stalinist plan to seize land..." and compared him to Robert Mugabe. The thing is, Milliband had stolen the idea - it was not his own. Who did he plagiarise it from? None other than Boris Johnson, who even used the words "use it or lose it" of development land in June 2013.

The Telegraph implying Boris is a Stalinist, who would have thought it?

12. Sadly, not so. Paxman asked him pretty much this exact question this week and although his answer was amusing, he didn't bat it back like a Djokovic return, sadly.
    It was clear that he had no idea what a loaf of bread costs, but then, who has?

This morning I went to the Wheat and Bread Museum where they have a fine bakery and bought 3 loaves of bread, 3 croissants and a brioche thing. I have no idea what I paid for it all.

13. I dont recall it that way, he was praised for having had a job before politics and for being of the people. He did get stick over the two jags stuff and for forgetting he had a wife though.

14. I have to say all this bread and milk stuff is completely nonsense, I don't know a single bloke who has a clue how much household essentials cost (unless they work at Tesco)

I couldn't even tell you how much a litre of diesel costs, I do know however that you can get a good bottle of own brand 12 yr old Single Malt from our local Coop for £17.99 :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Buy Talisker.
    It can't be that much more expensive.

16. I'm pretty sure I've drunk that one. One of the advantages of working for the distiller.
    With all these things, divide the price by the price of a bottle of Talisker 10, and then decide if you'd sooner have a full case of the latter, or one bottle of the former.
    I know where I stand (despite the fact that I spent plenty of hours persuading people of the opposite point of view....) Have we marketing people no shame?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Nice but a bit Too peaty for my tastes, I prefer regular Highland Malt

18. Dalwhinnie.
    Cragganmore Distillers Edition.

19. you've got me looking forward to Christmas now, I always end with a few choice bottles.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information