1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Ducati After A Long Break From Riding

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by spooky, Sep 8, 2022.

1. Holy F@ck what a bike to buy after such a long riding gap. well done

• Like Like x 1
  2. Thanks! I think I got very lucky with it being available to buy when I walked in and I’ve found it far easier to ride than I was expecting. The only difficult part is going slow… :joy:

Then again, I did recently get overtaken by a van on a very bumpy country road… :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Bored… so I thought I’d waffle a bit.

I only just managed to get the first service done before the cold crappy weather arrived and I’m already counting down the days until the good weather returns. I’ve always hated this time of year and having a bike again makes it worse.

I eventually managed to remove the pins and turn the levers down a bit - I’ve no idea why they make it so hard to do but it made a big difference. Being able to set the bike up for the rider should be something that is considered in the design and construction. I also added the brake lever guard in anticipation of getting it on track next year.

I’m toying with the idea of adding a few carbon bits - maybe the frame and subframe covers and perhaps something on the swing arm to protect it, although I’m not sure about the styling on that bit - but I can’t quite bring myself to pull the trigger as it’s obviously totally unnecessary. It would probably be better to put the money toward some fairings for track use so I don’t cry as much when I drop it at the track next year.

I did add a carbon tank cover under the seat - the silver bit above the rear wheel is now carbon and doesn’t stand out so much, which I like.

I’m used to customising my vehicles and there’s really bugger all that this bike needs. Very annoying…

I still find myself going into the garage to have a look at it… ❤️ My only regret is not getting back on a bike years ago.

I am using this time to consider if something less powerful would be nice for the road and I’ve been very drawn to the SportClassics. I love the SP2 but f** me it’s quick. It’s pretty much impossible to not be very naughty on the road.

Waffle over. Wake me up in spring…

• Like Like x 5
  4. I feel for you. I used to cope ok when I wasn’t biking (even the -20c winters in Brno). But now in the U.K. and with two bikes to choose from, it’s incredibly depressing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  5. I’ve been buying stuff because I can’t go out riding… :)

Parts purchased so far in preparation for track days ahead:

- Downgraded the wheels to DP M9RS in bronze (very pretty and light and I got them for a good price).
    - DP clutch cover (I saw it on Bautista’s bike and I’d had a few drinks).
    - GB clutch and generator covers (I forgot I had bought the above).
    - Ilmberger swingarm cover.
    - Low-exit Akrapovic exhaust (I managed to get a decent price after searching around and finding one at a dealer).
    - Full DP race fairings kit (I’ve got to decide on a colour scheme but will stay predominantly black/grey with some bright highlights so I can use it on the road and not have to register a change of colour).
    - Stompgrip tank and fairing grips (I’ve ordered clear and black - probably clear on the tank and maybe black on the fairing - couldn’t decide so I got both).
    - R&G fork sliders (but I’ve also seen some from Melotti Racing that look interesting and I might give them a go instead).
    - Socket tool for the front and rear wheel nuts.
    - Seat from RaceSeats (flat version but rounded off - I want to keep the original seat nice and it was already starting to show signs of grubbiness from the first 1,000km).
    - Some plain V4 plastic wings (to save the expensive carbon ones).
    - Thermal Dynamics Tri Zone tyre warmers (I like the logic of warming the rim and it was my birthday - then again, I also got a Pocher Ducati model to build and said that was because it was my birthday… and another helmet because it was my birthday…).

I’ll probably just take the Supercorsa SP V4 tyres from my carbon wheels and put them on the bike, although I’m very tempted to try Supercorsa SC - I wonder how quickly they warm up… In the 90s I used to use some intermediate race compound tyres that I would buy off a friend after he had done one race on them - the back used to last a maximum of 1,000 miles and was bald at that point and the front had a very pronounced V profile - maybe Dunlop? Anyway, they used to warm up very quickly and were super-sticky - you could get away with murder on them. I wonder if the SC are as easy to get up to temperature.

• Like Like x 5
  6. I’ve just ordered tyres, tank grips, lever guards, brake pads, etc cos I was bored too. :joy:

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. :joy:

I’m glad it’s not just me! :upyeah::joy:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Whoa!…whoa!!….WTF were you thinking about :astonished: that bike is totally unsuitable for a returning rider!!
    You need to ship it over to me immediately,..I’ve PM’d you my address :D;)

P.S…You can keep the Ducati mat for the Weem…Wiyme, Waym,..…dog!

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. My son has had his delivered and is just waiting for a chance to ride it!
    He was disappointed when it rained in Cheshire at the weekend! Still waiting to ride it the first time from 0 miles!

• Like Like x 2
  10. What a horrible time of year to have a new bike delivered! I imagine he’s enjoying looking at it though. It’s really great to ride and he’ll love it. Congrats to him! :upyeah:

What number did he get? Did he have to wait long for it? If he’s not already on the forum then make sure he gets posting on here. :D

11. I saw it last year at the dealers it was there a few months having some choice nods added (full Alta etc). Was only delivered a week or so ago so was looking forward to riding it last weekend but the forecast lied and it rained instead of being warm and dry!
    He’s had lots over many years as an ex BSB racer!
    The last few were a Speciale then the first V4 R a V4S last year and now the V4SP2 and is due to get the new V4R later this year.
    Will be nice to have my first Ducati (V2 Panigale) for our summer holiday to Italy this year!

12. That will be amazing to ride together to Italy. Great memories being made. :upyeah:

I had decided to get the V4R before it was announced but I’m sticking with my SP2 for the time being. I can’t wait for the good weather to return… :sleeping:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. To be fair the SP2 being a limited edition has lots of Carbon a great look and in very limited numbers will probably retain more value that the V4R.
    Both will be pretty awesome. My son regretted selling his last V4R as the V4S isn’t hardcore enough for my son! He’s hoping the new V4R will be a bit more of an animal!

14. He’ll be wanting that ‘special-sauce’ new oil then! :joy:

I’d be interested to hear if there are things he ends up modifying on his SP2 and the reasons behind any changes.

Oh, and it wouldn’t have killed Ducati to include a carbon rear hugger for the money… ;) There are some nice parts on the bike though and I haven’t regretted buying it for one moment, although at the rate I’m downgrading parts for track use it will soon be pretty much a V4S with better brakes and a dry clutch… :joy:

15. Any bits that will fit my V2, gash Ohlins shocks, Car on wheels, that kind of thing feel free to send them over! Lol
    He’s had his usuals bits added, Akra full titanium system for more Horses as more is always better to a racer! Tank pads, upgraded levers, lever guards, extra carbon bits, rim tape, race tank filler, etc!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Such amazing packaging on these things.
    6E948B6F-B3D3-49EA-8E17-861764DAE411.jpeg 98247F46-25C0-493A-A677-04AFF832127E.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. That is astonishing what they squeeze in!
    Looks like the exhaust doesn’t wrap up under the seat like my V2 but it’s making more power so I’m sure there is still plenty to warm your cockles!

18. It shouldn't be as warm but I really don't find the V4 to be a problem anyway.

19. "I had fallen in love with them way back when the 916 came out and always wanted one"
    #Metoo, oops that's a wrong statement nowadays...
    I waited 27 years after being amazed, seeing the 916 at the Amsterdam motorshow in 1994...
    Finally got a 996S in 2021...
    This is max the fun I am going to get with my pants on. Period.
    ENJOY!

• Like Like x 1
  20. I strongly considered getting one of those but saw this and just went for it. I might still get a 916/996/998 at some point just for that old-school feel and some nostalgia, not to mention they still look stunning all these years later.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information