1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Ducati After A Long Break From Riding

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by spooky, Sep 8, 2022.

1. That’s interesting. I took a V2 for a test ride in normal (not heatwave) weather and it was way too hot in the crotch area. Didn’t realise the V4 wouldn’t be more of the same.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rode one on a dealer test day last august on a Hot day and was decidedly uncomfortable in town but fine on open roads, had it for a day on a pleasantly warm day in September and it was fine but was spending less time in town!
    Just bought that Deno bike so I’m about to find out for real!

• Like Like x 1
  3. As you say they can still look a treat many years later. Back in 01 I broke my 30 years in the wilderness by returning to riding by buying this.

F90C0019-40D7-4FA7-8F2B-B73084B4C71B.jpeg 33D64BF2-E404-4F03-9B91-68D61B13B0FE.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  4. Some updates to the bike. I’d not seen the bike for a week or so… I almost forgot how bloody gorgeous it is. :heart_eyes:

I went for fork sliders from Melotti Racing. Reflectors off the front at last. Some other bits have just shipped from WRS and the fairings should arrive in a couple of weeks, but they won’t be painted until probably April as the chap that’s been recommended is reassuringly busy. I’ve got some plastic V4S winglets to save the carbon ones as there’s a big price difference and I can’t imagine them doing well in a crash. I might have them painted as well, depending on the colour scheme that I end up with. I’m not sure how well paint would hold up on winglets.

As much as I love the carbon wheels, I really like the look of these on the bike. Super-light and I got them for a good price.

The seat is from RaceSeats - flat model but rounded off a bit. I did this mostly to save the SP2 embroidered seat from getting trashed but the chap at the dealer’s said the seat is good, will help with braking and my balls will thank me.

Oh, and I had the exhaust changed as well and it sounds fantastic.

I can’t wait for the good weather to arrive…

0E17504D-FAA2-424C-AEFE-9A489CBF399F.jpeg FFF33DF4-85DE-4916-8ED5-5F59D113A895.jpeg 9A29A299-7176-4975-AB78-29695518D175.jpeg 68218285-AF75-48F0-AB21-C7C76A64D194.jpeg E3BD5276-F281-4158-8D95-E9B99131FF03.jpeg 7522F206-2C90-45A2-98F8-AF259537679F.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  5. My sons got the full system titanium Akrapovic exhaust on his SP2 and the noise it amazing!
    He fired it up for me at the weekend when I rode over on my V2!

He’s going to see what his contact at Akrapovic can do for the slip on for my V2 panigale for me too!
    It’s good to know the right people.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. I’ve got the bike back - I was grinning like the village idiot when it came out of the van. The new exhaust sounds great. Quite loud… hopefully not too loud.

I received a delivery from WRS on the same day and I’ll be fitting the GB Racing generator cover and the Ilmberger carbon swingarm cover tomorrow. I was surprised to find that it only sticks in place - no screws - so I’ll be cleaning the swingarm very carefully and probably warm the double-side tape a bit to try and make sure that it sticks in place well. They include a cloth with activator on it to prep the swingarm before fitting and the part itself looks great quality and matches the DP rear mudguard perfectly.

I’m really pleased with the Melotti Racing fork sliders and the seat and DP clutch cover look great as well. Fairings should arrive soon and I’m trying to decide on how to have them painted. I’ll want to keep it primarily black so I can use it on the road - I quite like the Mooney VR46 colours and design and the Ducati winter test colours. I also like the Ducati livery but maybe it’s not quite got enough black coverage to get away with not having to register a change of colour for the road.

I got a great service from my local Ducati dealer and pricing here seems quite good to me. I paid them around £600 and that got me the exhaust installation, fitting tyres to the new wheels, fitting the wheels, new spacers, front reflectors removed and the lower fairing parts required for the exhaust. They were working on it for maybe two days and collected the bike and delivered it back to me, along with cleaning the carbon wheels for me and packaging all the bits that came off the bike nicely.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Tomorrow came and went but I finally had some warm weather and time today so popped this on.

0DCF4BBE-0620-4838-AFE1-138467B9A4A5.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  8. Only just found this thread - amazing, you’ve got yourself a lovely bike. Part of the joy of ownership is the customisation and tweaking. Keeping the original fairings somewhere safe without scratching them is quite the trick!

And love the Weimaraner too - thanks for including a pic of her :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thanks. I’m just about to get the new fairings painted for the track and changing the indicators and mirrors for something else as I’m not convinced on the Rizoma, plus the option I am going for will be easier to change back and forth for track and road use.

Love what you’ve done with that 996. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  10. I can't say so much about your bike, just admiring your SP2 and dreaming about to have my V2 to ride when the good weather comes.

Now about the heat underneath the seat makes me think about wait a bit longer to get a V4 instead a V2 didn't realised the V4 won't "burn" by private parts like V2 will do.

Once again, What a bike, what a porsche, what a house and what a dog hahahaha

• Like Like x 1
  11. My dog’s the favourite of those things, although the old Porsche is her favourite car to go in - when I do some work on it she usually finds a way to get in and sit in the driver’s seat. :joy:

CEFD342C-5F97-401A-A6BE-8B74C2654478.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  12. Her face is like "What you are doing now with our car dad?"

hahaha

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. She loves going for drives in that car - she was probably wondering why we weren't going anywhere. :joy:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Thank you! It was actually a pleasure to work on - everything comes apart so easily!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Just like a V4... not. :joy: The older stuff is usually much nicer to work on, in my limited experience.

I was very sorely tempted to get a 916/996/998 - the Foggy rep came out just as I was really getting into bikes and I was riding my old FZR600R and going into Paul Smart's showroom and drooling over the carbon, Ohlins, etc. Well over £20K new back then and far out of my reach. I still see one of these in my future and it still doesn't look at all dated - there's a delicate beauty to the bike that's timeless. I reckon it makes far more sense as a road bike than what I've got. I love what I've got of course. :D

• Like Like x 1
  16. That is a truly awesome reintroduction to the world of biking. I went straight to a 1098S after 11 years so I kind of get it but congrats anyway.
    Bet the dealer had a smile on his face after you walked out the door: Just uncrated a top of the range SP Ducati and this random guy walks in just thinking about buying a bike…

17. interested to know what you think when you start getting up in the rev range

that bike is mental

18. Your return to biking after 11 years with a 1098S might actually be a bit more mental than my choice. :joy: My only regret was not getting back on a bike sooner - within the first mile I was grinning like the idiot that I am.

The dealership owner did have a grin on her face when she said they had a little something out the back that I might like. The sales guy's chin hit the floor when I said "Ok, let's do it" and he looked a bit confused when I got my card out. I think it might be the easiest sale he's ever made. :joy:

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. What’s her name? This is me and my favourite Weimaraner (Abi) a few years back!

As for the old vs new debate - if you want analogue tactility and sensory overload, then a 996 with Termis is just the ticket. If you want absolutely brutal speed and sheer ruthless competence, then new is the way to go! A lot of modern bikes are a bit short on personality - but Ducatis have still kept their soul with the V2 and V4 IMO!

199DF0DB-784F-4536-AA7C-F255BF9A3B81.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  20. I have a feeling it will take quite a bit of mental adjustment. I'd just finished running it in when winter arrived and hadn't really explored the rev range much, not that I think you can really do that on the road. I did hold WOT for what felt like an entire second - just enough time to shout "F&%$ MEEEEEEE" and shut it down... in sport mode... o_O

All sports bikes are fast of course but this thing really is quite insane. It's actually quite an accomplishment that they've made it so easy to ride slowly. If you're just pottering around (obviously not what you'd call pottering around in a car) then it's not at all intimidating. It still scares the crap out of me though (in a good way).

I'm looking forward to getting it on track and seeing what I can do with it. The nice thing about this bike is that there will never come a time where I'll feel limited by it.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information