1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 Fuel Sender Nut

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by ibgarrow, Jun 24, 2024.

1. Got them out intact (mole grips, as I could get neither an open-ended or socket on them.) mangled a little, but as they’re being replaced, I suppose it doesn’t matter. Those little springs go quite a way, don’t they!

2. Everything back together in the tank. Now I’ve come to changing the male QR connectors I find that the hose is actually 2-part, a rubber? outer but a plastic inner, shrunk onto the male connector! Got p*d off trying to wiggle it off, and packed it in for the day.
    Once I get those off (any suggestions?) the tank can go back on and be tested for leaks from the various joints/seals.

3. Change the hoses for standard rubber? My MV has the hoses you describe as well. They're nice because the hoses are shaped to stay in the right place but I remember that people having the same problem you're having and replacing the hoses with rubber ones was the solution.

#23 Petsmith, Jul 2, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Soaked in boiling water...or careful heating with a heat gun?

5. They’re still attached. And I tried the heat gun, and burnt my fingers holding the outer back!

6. Use a hair dryer, not as extreme as a hot air gun so will take a bit longer but far less likely to do damage or cause injury.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I took the advice and replaced the hoses. Question. Now the bike is running again, should there be fuel recycling into the tank from this component?
    688C7B98-22B2-405D-8586-B3EEFAC3C495.jpeg

8. Yes

9. Good. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  10. yes, but not massively, if you can run it with the fuel cap open, try and see where it's coming from, be careful about opening the throttle too much though.

11. While I’ve got your notice, could anyone advise me which of my 996 tools will fit the 998? (I know the big Multistrada socket doesn’t, but I’d taken the pretty picture by then)
    ED42D8BE-F880-484D-975F-48EF80A87EB0.jpeg

12. bit of lateral thinking on determining what's right and wrong while observing normal fuel return vs fuel leaking when observing with fuel cap open, it's simple and staring me in the face:-

With pump and hoses and pressure regulator working correctly, you will observe a flow/waves/eddy currents of fuel (1/2 or 3/4 full tank preferably) with engine running at tickover. As you raise revs gently, this disturbance in the tank will reduce.

Carrying out the same test as above with everything working correctly apart from a ruptured fuel supply line (i.e. the output hose from the pump) the disturbance in the tank will not reduce at all, and could become far greater as you raise the revs - if this is even possible without engine displaying reluctance to rev/lack of power.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information