1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going back to BMW????

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Richard 1200, May 4, 2013.

1. Having had a couple of BM's, i thought i had to have a go on the new semi L/C one. Now i don't know if the conventional fork / PR3 set up of the Multi has spoiled me, but the BM felt dead, lifeless and remote. Sorry - but if i were going back to a shafty, then i'd look hard at the Tiger 1200.

2. I have recently been converted by a 2007 GS. Boreing?, slightly, underpowered?,a bit, however its supremely comfortable, handles beautifully,ok the looks are "functional" but thats fine ,it has all the toys and equipment you need to cross continents. Not sure I'd own one as an only bike, but with a 998 in the garage I have the perfect pair of machines.

3. Underpowered ? Try fitting a chip as discussed on UKGSER. This plug-in gadget fools the ECU into thinking that it 20 degC cooler outside, and enriches the mixture. It makes a usefull ammount of differance IMHO, I fitted one to my 2007 GS. The thread is called "accelerator module" or similar

4. Having just joined here to seek aux light mountings for my 2013 PP with a few practical pimped up bits ( see gallery for first days ride...more to come ) I know the Multi has finally come of age !:smile: And so did Kev Ash before that talented, personable and frank guy met his end on the new GS in SA. It also strikes me that forums generally attract this kind of banter which is always a source of fun...but never as much as RIDING. With a on/off road stable of bikes I know this PP has ' IT'. So did Kev and all the latest road tests and tech features acknowledge that...even down to the suspension/traction control being superior to the HP4's. And for anyone who can ride 2-wheels it will wup the ass off the new GS in twisties -and everywhere else....except on serious off road. But did anyone ever see a Brand Muppet GS actually in a serious off road location ?:smile: And, yes - I've done the Si P advanced stuff at his place on a Bavtrac and hustled one down thro' S America through Patagonia and all the way to the ' end of the earth ' in Ushaia and had the obligatory ice cream shop visit...yummy. The Bavarians have been very quiet since Kev's death and journo's introduced a new ' balance ' conclusion which basically says something like " well...er yes...they're all good...at different things...each has it's merits.." as compared to a particular one being the 'winner' ( in the eyes of the beholder/s and how much they've been entertained/bankrolled by the manufacturer). And the early defensive ' cover ' test reports on new GS tank slapping are beginning to appear. And someone just wrote that the PP Multi is now the fastest adventure bike ever...certainly it's quicker than my previous 996 and 1098S and obviously on pot holed, muck covered, bumpy back roads...where the adventure is found. So, My 990R is being changed for a tricked up KTM690 for the adventure bike ( 70bhp and 138K dry weight...it works almost as well as a 530 and the new 1190 and just excels as a ' proper' adventure bike...like the iconic 640 did before the marketing took over following LWD :rolleyes: ) SO : the PP ROCKS!!! it does what it says on the tin for sure and will provide me with plenty more adventures and :biggrin:'s alongside my other steeds riding. Kev was right, it's the best all round bike in the world is the Multi. AND mine SOUNDS like it works with those pipes/Termi...the Italian Stallion. Just summarising the foregoing forum comments : if you want to dress up in appropriate uniform, ride a bum comfy wannabee brand muppet bike to a café somewhere, for 1100-miles a year and sit in ' that ' corner like ostracised sheep in squeaky clean riding gear with squeaky clean 'bikes' outside and swop great stories of LWD to everyone then a Hiltler's Bike is the one to have:upyeah: Each to his own...it's all in the eye/mind of the beholder. My new Nautilus airhorn will sweep lingering Bavtracs aside as I hunt down the new 1190's for fun, give the sport bikes a good run for their money and then slip off down some familiar lane leaving them stranded behind me....all in the name of FUN..:smile: That's what it's about- FUN - and this little rant has reminded me-so thanks everyone. See some of you on the adventure roads/trails and some of you in the cafes:smile:...:cool:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Take it down to Hilltop racing for a remap. Mind you - if you need more poke the logical solution is the Multi..

6. And breathe.........:smile:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Try harder then :wink:

8. Naahhh...:smile: it's fine as it is....breathes even better now in mid-range and sounds AWESOME with full system n slightly tweaked 'chip. Crackles like in the paddock at GP races..:biggrin: 3-top things about ducati's : 1.sound 2.sound, 3.sound..Trying a Panigale R next week when my 4- PP spots get fitted....if I want more poke to play with it's got it. The 2013 PP is just right for me now for GT riding..the Sports Tourer with light off road capabilities...purrrfect..:cool: Just off to the garden centre now with the Lamborghini...fit for purpose ???? ROFL....probably see some GS Bavtracs parked up and clean well dressed riders in the cafe...:rolleyes:

9. Well it had to happen didn't it? Some brand fanatic jumps in on a sensible discussion and comes out with a load of b*****t and denegrates fellow bikers while being what he accuses others of by pretending to be a Pike's Peak (wannabe) racer. Nice work Foggy, can't take you seriously!
    Just look at some of the stuff he has written....just in case you didn't have the patience to read it all.

• Like Like x 3
    #30 Richard 1200, May 5, 2013
    Last edited: May 5, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Well done for saying what was needed.:upyeah:

12. It truly doesn't matter what others think of you. As long as you are a happy bunny - that's all that really matters. It's your money after all.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Well...didn't take long then...for a bit of banter to stir up some sensitivities... :smile: My allegiances are to adventure 'biking....( freedom, places and the people/cultures to be met ) the actual brand makes no difference to me ( I have Gas Gas trials, Suzuki twinshock '78 classic, KTM 530 enduro, KTM 990R ( due to be changed for a 690 adventure spec ) latest investment of £23K's worth of PP Multi ( to keep my pals in dealers going :upyeah:) and the fastest ( start to finish time ) road bike I ever owned was a GSXR 750.
    Thought my little rant ( which basically aggregated and represented the previous responses ) was a fun way to look at things/life....which I really don't take too seriously. Most of what I said had already been opined _ some pros some cons. I'm cool...:cool:...it's not about better/worse/superior....just differences....that's what homo sapiens tend to bring to the party on this planet...there's room for all of us....and as Bhudda said - " we're all dead in the long run...". Doesn't take much to wind up a bit of passion tho'.....which curiously brings me back to Italian jobs...:biggrin:...and this is a Ducati Forum after all.... Must go now to don a uniform to do some gardening and then another one to wash some dirty bikes ( this off road stuff is one reason I got the PP....fuel, bit of maint, tyres and service with the odd ( non jet ) wash ) then another clean uniform to dress for dinner....looks like sunshine tomorrow so an early start on familiar Northern Nurgurbgring fast B's on the PP seems to beckon. As a slogan I picked up in Oz outback says " Life's short...eat dessert first..."...:smile:...and ride yer 'bikes' whatever and wherever you fancy....:rolleyes::tongue:...stay cool...:smile:

14. Was going to reply but no, Fogump has more money than me so will never win.

#34 Richard 1200, May 5, 2013
    Last edited: May 5, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Bye :tongue:

16. Six of us of to the Isle of Man in a few weeks, one was going on his BMW until it seized up yesterday, looks like it will be his second bike now , where will he put the luggage on a monkey bike?

17. bye bye, enough for me.

18. Many thanks Richard - as a newcomer with some specific technical queries ( some resolved, some not yet ) your post provided a ready opportunity to explore quickly ' ...Who's who at the Zoo..':smile:...who reads and thinks, who reacts, who engages brain before..., who's got what preferences ( we all have ) and who's got passion ! :wink: Like the internet generally, forums can be such a thief of time...and sometimes emotion.... Adventure riding with kindred spirits and knowledge/experience sharing is all I seek. In a few days since joining I've got some clues on 'WWATZ' and will gradually navigate my way around this forum and it's participants. So thank's everyone who contributed to this thread of Richard's. Safe, enjoyable riding and..... Hasta la vista...Bye on this one...:tongue:

19. Wtf Is this all about?

20. Wouldn't you be better off just leasing a bike for a year? That way you could change annually without the hassle of selling the old bike.
    Just a thought.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information