1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Far On Reserve.....?

Discussion in 'Streetfighter' started by kentish, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Oh no, this thread's turned into a bun fight. Wish i hadn't mentioned it now! It was only meant as a bit of light hearted info and so you could all laugh at me.

Altaian. I've got no idea how many miles it does to a tank. It's only done 700mls from new and i haven't looked for the trip yet.

And FWIW i was riding like a grandmother because A, i was on reserve and B, i was riding through a monsoon.

Carry on..........

#21 kentish, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  2. Altaian, is your gearing standard? Perhaps your speedo is overreading (speed, and therefore also mileage). If you nurse the bike at just 3k rpm for an entire tankful, I think achieving 55mpg on a Naked 1098 is still debatable unless it is all downhill with a strong wind behind your back.

And if you ARE riding a 1098 at 3k rpm for an entire tank, erm... you should have bought a Deauville!!!

3. Wasn't the fastest rider on the block
    I have got to 140 miles on the trip pulled in petrol station and probably still had enough for 20 extra
    On the 600 SS
    Fuel light hadn't come on at 140

4. Sounds like you need a decent run. Fancy coming to Bristol tomorrow morning? BIAMF under the events section. Be interesting to learn of another 'Fighters range. Resetting the trip is easy. It's habit now, as it's the only way of knowing how far you've gone on a tank. I'm reading the thread as you intended Kentish. Just sharing details.

It's nowt to do with the speedo, I've run the details on route planners. As I said, if I know I can make it to a destination it's not an issue, nursing the fuel only comes into it when uncertainty or sheer panic sets in...

I'm convinced VPower is key part of the range. Oh, I also use the full set of gears - which as far as I know are standard. (at the moment)

5. The V-Power does increase fuel economy, some report better results then others. On Ducatisti BagaZee reported a test he filled in his 749 Dark with better petrol then
    V-Power. Some garage next to him sells proper high octane petrol. His mileage on the same trip went from 105 to I think 130. Huge gain if you ask me but price was not worth the mileage gain.

In regards of high mileage. Last year we went to do a photo shoot of couple of monsters, 3 of us came from London. I did 87m which by my math means I should have had to fill up 14L of petrol to be full (or there about). Not even close I only managed 7l to the brim. We were all stunned as everyone else had to fill up twice as much on the same distance.
    It was a mix of fast country lanes, slow country lanes and bit of M-way to get the hell out of London. Looking at that I should have easilly done 160 miles to reserve.
    If fuelling was setup spot on I know I could do about that on more regular basis.
    As said I am stunned at the figures but at the same time I can see how that could be possible with well sorted bike.

6. 749R with large race fuel tank. About 110 to 125 mile before the light comes on. Will not go any further than 25 mile with the light on.

7. How large is the large fuel tank??

8. Maybe, but apparently his bike is running rich

I also use Shell VPower almost all the time (Shell fuelcard), and a rich running 1098 should not do 200 miles to a tank with a normal fuel tank if being ridden normally... Or maybe Altaian weighs the same as Pedrosa?

9. Approx 18.5ltr

10. 3K revs??? On standard gearing surely that's only just above the level where the bike is vibrating and struggling? I know the 1098 engine in the SF was slightly de-tuned from the sports bike?

Normal 70-85mph riding on a motorway on a 1098 will have the light on somewhere around 100 miles and the reserve about 20 miles. Even flat on the tank trying to preserve fuel will only get you another 20 miles, we did this across France for hour after hour at 85'ish.

11. Returning to the subject of the thread... There is 7+ miles difference between range on reserve - (and on the stats provided I didn't run out). I would imagine that whatever contributes to this, would be the same factors to the range before the fuel light & fuel trip commences. How you ride on reserve will dictate the net result of how far you go. Riding style, bike setup, consumables, weight, modifications...

12. I know this is now an old thread, just to stir it up and revive it...... I ride like a twat most of the time and get 100 miles done before the light comes on, so I could see that perhaps 140-150 might be possible but 200, don't insult my intelligence.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information