1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Bought My First St4s

Discussion in 'Sport Touring' started by El Vikingo Tropical, Dec 27, 2022.

1. Hej Kenneth
    The true is that my first idea was just to buy the St as a project base, but then after using the bike I just realised how great is is!
    Hälsningar
    El Vikingo Tropical

• Like Like x 2
  2. You never know what you will find when you open up the the engine at old bike, I was making valve service at the ST when and found the rocker arms is worn out :scream:, This will definitely not be cheap!
    After a short research I have found two options Kämna in Germany and Newman in UK, I chose have choose Newman because of two reasons, they weld in a new stronger surface at at the rockers and they’re cheaper (45£ unit).
    The German option Kämna have good reputation, but cost near the doble and they just make a new surface treatment at the rockers, I may be wrong, but in my opinion this option looks mechanically less reliable..
    So of they goes today by post to UK.. 85DB52C9-4EFC-4244-A2C6-26BCF99061EE.jpeg 3DB8BC3F-0130-4BF9-9BA7-596E945CAE95.jpeg

#22 El Vikingo Tropical, Jan 17, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Oof, £45 per arm, so 45 x 16 :eek:. Costly.

I don’t want to go off thread but I’m interested in hearing how the whole import/export of the parts goes with regards to duties and vat since Brexit.

The UK has several very good refurbishers of parts (eg suspension, cams etc) which we don’t have here in Ireland - for example there isn’t a single company that can rechrome fork tubes, yet it’s prohibitive to ship these parts to/from the UK now :(.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Hello.
    Good luck @El Vikingo Tropical with repairing the rocker arms, and the restoration overall. I had two ST4S's and enjoyed touring in Europe with them both.
    I suggest you check on available options for posting to UK from overseas that are secure, because of the current problems Royal Mail are facing, reported in the link below:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64244121 .
    I have delayed a purchase from Switzerland until Royal Mail resolves the issues.
    Tom.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. I know sending by mail between UK and UE have become a pain in the ass lately, due to customs etc..
    I live in Canary Islands, we doesn’t belong to European tax system, so I don’t know if this make any difference.
    We use to send a box to our daughter who lives in Liverpool frequently, normally it takes a week for her to get it home.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Newman is costly, but if you have a look at Kämna then they’re barging..:
    https://www.ducati-kaemna.com/catalog/ducati/workshop-services-ducati/kipphebel-instandsetzen.html

#27 El Vikingo Tropical, Jan 17, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
  8. It’s not the time issue, Royal Mail strikes aside, it’s the duty/vat issues which arise now.

If I, as an EU resident (aka a ‘3rd country’ to the UK since Brexit) send parts to the UK they are liable to UK VAT to be paid before they get delivered to the destination company. Depending on the declared value of them they may also be liable for customs duties. Then, when they are sent back to me the same thing applies when they are re-imported back into my country; it applies as the goods have materially changed by virtue of the ‘service & parts’ that were applied to them.

Gifts to family are exempt if clearly marked as a gift.

I don’t know what the tax/duty arrangements are between the Canaries and the UK but it’s worth you checking so you don’t get hit with a substantial duty & vat bill.

For me, yes, the Kämna option is better. In fact I have to change all my sources of goods services from the UK to EU suppliers.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Why do you trust or prefer more Kämna then the Newman rockers overhaul?

10. Oh, it’s not a case of trusting Kamna more at all, Newman have a very good reputation, it’s just that if I were to use Newman now I would be paying Uk vat (20%) and duty (unknown) on their value when they arrive at Newman and then having to pay UK vat on Newman’s service cost, then have to pay EU duty (3.5%) and ROI vat (23%) on their return to me.

With Kamna being in another EU country I avoid all those import/export duty and VAT costs.

• Like Like x 1
  11. It appears that The Canary Islands are included in special territories:
    The EU outermost regions - Guadeloupe, French Guiana, Martinique, Mayotte, Réunion and Saint-Martin (France), the Azores and Madeira (Portugal) and the Canary Islands (Spain) - are nine EU regions located in the Atlantic and Indian Oceans, in the Caribbean basin and in South America.
    This includes special status:
    The outermost regions have a special status under the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union (article 349) that provides for specific measures to support them, including the tailored application of EU law and access to EU programmes.
    Apparently, "all the outermost regions are part of the European Union customs area. Some are outside Schengen and the EU value added tax area e.g: The Canary Islands."
    From the UK perspective work includes:
    "Work carried out on goods.
    Special rules apply for work carried out on goods.
    Goods in this context means movable items, not fixed installations. Work includes any kind of physical service, including valuation, processing, manufacturing, repairs and maintenance, and alterations or finishing.
    The rule for working out the place of supply of work carried out on goods is if you supply services to a:
    business customer, the place of supply is the place is where the customer belongs
    non-business customer, the place of supply is where you physically perform the work."
    It is possible that charges will be made according to:
    "Import VAT and duty will only be reduced to the “added value” of the goods, usually the cost of the repair, plus freight. A full audit trail is required to ensure compliance with HMRC regulations."
    Having considered the above, I think the advice given in post # 28 by @West Cork Paul is best:
    "I don’t know what the tax/duty arrangements are between the Canaries and the UK but it’s worth you checking so you don’t get hit with a substantial duty & vat bill."
    Good luck,
    Tom.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Wow that was a lot of tax info!
    The local Canary import tax (símil VAT) is 7% when we import parts.
    If we import vehicles it’s 12%.
    The local companies like my business pays is 4% as it’s a ZEC company:
    https://canariaszec.com/en/about-us/

13. If the company you plan to use is: Newman Cams, Farnborough Way, Farnborough, Kent, BR6 7DH, United Kingdom; Tel: +44 (0)1689 857 109; EMail: [email protected] ; http://www.newman-cams.com/ ; they have several dealers in mainland Spain, and one in Gran Canaria, details below.
    Tunerhouse Motorsport
    C/Shakespeare 121
    La Pardilla Telde 35200
    Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
    t: +34 828 02 51 56
    f: +34 828 02 51 56
    [email protected]
    www.tunerhouse.com
    This company may be able to help you with any queries you may have about the best way to have your work carried out?
    The other dealers in Spain are listed in the dealers section of the Newman Cams website. Their terms and conditions are also presented there.
    Hope it's relevant and helps.
    Tom.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. 419DDE6F-CD3F-49DA-A826-0EEE478EEB95.jpeg 436C5587-B6E6-4D76-AD61-7136D828E602.jpeg 7354CB29-B32C-478A-B8C3-E160A43BC12D.jpeg DF2B1753-C1C7-41C4-8B52-AD669E84E709.jpeg 9A7E36E0-B77B-4689-8F27-2C7A4591DCD5.jpeg C1E7F3BC-2BBA-4732-81FE-6C8CE0C3BB76.jpeg Finally i sent the valve rocker to Newman last Wednesday, hopefully I have them back soon, at time I have more or less finished the paint job at the bike by now, just have some minor touch up to do and final fitting once the engine comes together, I opted to paint the straps as The stickers didn’t look good, the bike is now everything less discreet:joy::joy::joy:

• Like Like x 4
  15. BB728932-E01D-4EAC-8158-8DBBA83B45A8.jpeg I used same golden colour at the wheel at the car and the bike..

• Like Like x 2
  16. Very nice paint work :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. You need NI go between :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Very true :upyeah:
    I’ll bear that in mind. How much longer you there for?

19. 5 days I hope

• Like Like x 1
  20. @El Vikingo Tropical, I hope the repair to the rocker arms goes well and isn't too expensive. The other work on the bike is looking good.
    Do you have an owners manual for the bike? I had a spare one that I could look for. I'm not sure if it's for the ST4S facelift model (2004+?) or the earlier version, but it should cover most of the common parts whichever it is. Let me know if you need one, and I'll search for it.
    Good luck with the rest of the work.
    Tom.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information