1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 I Give Up! Hello Ktm My Dear Old Friend.

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by JH_1986, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Only thing I can think is the the crank cases and bearings were sort of holding the snapped parts together. Because it wasn't a clean, 90 degree break, there would still be some force transferred between them on rotation. Good job I did stop or it might have properly gone whilst riding or maybe even in a bend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. @JH_1986 , interestingly, today I called in for some work on my 2011, and idly asked how much it'd be worth as a trade-in, to be told "I'm not taking in any 2010 or 11 Multi's, as the bearings go, and it costs a lot to repair" He's been caught 2 or 3 times and is understandably shy of doing so again!

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  3. That's rather shocking

4. I thought so, too, especially as I'm seriously considering changing. There were DVTs that I'd look at, and was even tempted by a Panigale S or R-but nothing doing!

5. Then why aren't they arguing the case with Ducati? Was this a Ducati dealer? They should be throwing these back at them as warranty claims and kicking up a fuss if they decline them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. He remarked that "they seem to go around the 10-15000 miles mark" - when I told him mine had 22000 on the clock, he answered "Well, you must have a good 'un". Not reassuring.

7. Christ that's bad!

8. You're right, of course. Yes, they're a dealership.

9. What took me aback was the fact that a whole generation of a model was declined!

10. This could get interesting....

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

11. Class action...?

At a minimum you could argue reduced value

12. Trade it in at a BMW garage......

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. One broken crank doesnt mean its an endemic problem

Did none of you own a 916?! ;)

14. No but if a dealer says that then someone knows something...

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. We're not talking cranks though. We are talking bearings. This dealer makes 2 that I know of that have admitted this is a problem. That's two official dealers. I also know of an indie that does bundles of these. We've also got scores of people I have found online who have had the same problem at the same or earlier mileage. I have also heard of one other dealer refuse these as trade-ins.

16. If a triumph 675 has less than perfect oil level, and I mean perfect, the lack of a few hundred ml causes starvation so severe engines fail

Most dealerships have dealt with them, and they all know

17. Most delaers refuse them as they are too old to clear (esp more than 2k miles pa) with a decent profit

1098 had a real issue with bearing, and gearboxes

18. Bloody hell, where is my nearest BMW dealership :Banghead:

• Like Like x 1
  19. There might be a batch of engines with cranks that are out fractionally out of true. That would keep on taking out bearings and stress the shaft so it could eventually fracture. I guess it would be a vibey engine from new though..

20. Yes but keeping oil level correct (even anally correct) is something that can be explained to the owner....this I would say is a bit more serious in that its a possible failiure of a part and moreso that its not been communicated by Ducati to dealers and end users...and more to the point if a dealer is not accepting bikes of a certain year and not making that apparent to owners then that's pretty bad...personally if I owned one id a. like to know that that information is freely available so I can make my own choice at point of purchase and b. if I already owned one and found out I could make arrangements to fix the problem and on top of all of that if its known then shouldn't it be classed as a product recall. Ironically my little Toyota IQ is going in today for a product recall. 6 years on its getting a new manifold.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information