1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Is Skyhook Necessary?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Paul Grayton, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Thank you Ff6022, and for the unwarranted nuke Bandit!!!

2. Skyhook only...is the same.
    2010 to 2013 Ohlins and others are different.
    E.g. you adjust both legs at the same time to the same setting.

3. Probably by accident... Fat fingers and very easy to hit when scrolling on a touch screen (iPad/tablet)

4. We are talking skyhook. Its in the title. The Q was dvt vs older version skyhook.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Well my skyhook dvt worked perfectly today, never have to avoid street obstacles, just ride over em even at speed (obviously unless its so deep it will damage wheels!!)

6. Sorry Paul.:Sorry:

I was aware of the title, but just wanted to add some clarity or confusion, depending on where you view point is.;)

For example some people are talking\posting about 1\8th of a turn. :Woot:
    Surely this would be the wcrew adjusters for ebound and compression settings on a non skyhook (or Ohlins S) model?:rolleyes:

#66 AirCon, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2015
  7. Did you spanner up and increase the front preload?:Writing:
    If so what was the number of clockwise turns from minimum and your total ride weight?:Grumpy:
    :Locktopic:
    This post isn't meant to be personal.:Cyclops:
    It is that you've got a helpful starting point there for others.:upyeah:

8. No forgot to do it. Had a look and the nut is harder to get to, needs socket not spanner, so need to have a lok at how to do it without marking the bolt

But as I've said before: the new SH feels far more like the ladt model GS ( not ridden watercooled one) in its soft and wallowy, but as the oace increases it really tightens up...until you hit somthing like a man hole cover and it *almost* glides over it

9. To avoid handel bar and bolt damage I think I mentioned about a custom tool for this before and was ridiculed for it by someone?:Angelic:

10. No idea. I don't ridicule anyone, as unlike some I accpet others have different ways of doing stuff. What I find anal others find essential. Doesn't mean I wouldnt say its anal ;)

On the last one some thin felt or tape wedged in an open ended spanner worked perfectly. Wouldn't be an issue if the bolt didnt mark if you sneeze near it

11. Adjusted my none DVT yesterday. Found it wound all the way in. 9 turns. Now that is some pre load. I'm on around 110kg with gear on. Backed it all the way out and wound 4 turns in. Hopefully that will give me a good starting point. Now rear pre load I'm on setting 8 out of 24. Should I up this? It's hard as we don't have a measurement for each increment. This on one rider in touring by the way.

12. Mine was 1 1/2 turns from full out, 125kg in kit at the mo

Have wound it it 7 half turns (being a guide on here is 15kg per half turn) so lets see how that goes. Tbh not had an issue other than excessive dive, which preload wont sort, so lets see...

13. If the preload is too soft you will be sitting too low at the front, so I suppose the theory would be it had less distance to dive (unless it had just gone over a bump and was at the top due to low rebound)?
    At one and a half turns in from full out (lowest front preload) does sound low for 125kg of meat and fabric\leather. Keep up the feed back.

#73 AirCon, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2015
  14. It's not an issue tho is it and it's no different to any other bike with preload nut. They all mark if you are ham fisted.

Or is the nut that soft it marks more than any other? I ask as I've never touched mine but wouldn't bother me just using a socket

#7bradders, Oct 19, 2014

15. Used a socket and lots of patience, well fitted so no marks I can see, but as its a gun metal kinda anodised reckon it would mark easily if you just thru a spanner on it

16. Doesnt need a special tool tho

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. What do you mean by special tool AirCon ?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. A CNC socket with a special internal and external finish such that it doesn't mark the Black handle bars on a Pikes Peak or the head of the preload nut. It would have a 3\8 drive, so that the drive bar would miss the handle bars.
    Vital information would be engraved into the tool such as direction to increase or decrease preload with single marker to allow for easier counting of rotations. Suggestions for preload could also be included such as "8 turns in for 132kg load".

#78 AirCon, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2015
  19. That seems like a good one for @doughnut

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. At Last, finally found out how to manually adjust the front forks.....thanks

I did 1250 miles around Scotland and The Yorkshire Dales in 4-5 days 2 weeks ago on my 2013 GT skyhook and found the front end vague on the more challenging roads when trying to get a hustle on especially lacking in rebound and preload (I am 16 stone and 6 foot 1) and previously from a ZX636B1 then a GS1150 telelever so am used to a fairly stiff or neutral front end.

When I got home I upped the settings in all weight modes to medium hard front from medium and preload in solo from 8-10 (I only use Sport) and progressively through the additional luggage and passenger additions.

A brief test ride yesterday on some farmer filled muddy roads felt a lot more planted but will be interested to see how manual adjustment affects things

If all else fails it will be a trip to see Darren at MCTechnics as I have heard he has had a few 1200 MTS Skyhooks through for set up successfully

I assume the pic is from a workshop manual ??

Do Not Sell My Personal Information