1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Is The Dvt Really That Unreliable??

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by DBD1199, Jul 6, 2016.

1. To be honest, it will only get updated by people with problems and wouldn't record anything from people that don't experience issues - thus wouldn't translate to useful reliability data.

2. Would it though? If we posted it as a Sticky...I think a lot of people are proud of their DVT's and would be happy to give it a recommendation if given the opportunity.

3. ;)

#23 Hyperextended, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2016
  4. Oh cool. What questions would we ask? I guess Model, (Make is Ducati of course!), year, and then some general questions: Has your Ducati ever left you unable to complete a journey due to breakdown?, Has it had Recall work done? (Though this is almost always going to be yes these days), Are you Happy with the reliability of your bike? Would you buy another Ducati based on this ownership experience?
    That's kinda all I want to know at the moment though we could get REALLY into it if we wanted to I guess....

5. ;)

#25 Hyperextended, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2016
  6. I agree on the 'selection bias' point and, therefore, can't help thinking that the survey would of little real value unless we were confident that those responding to the survey represented a solid proportion of all DVT owners and not just those who visit this forum or who have had a problem with their bike (or both).

7. Well here you go

Recalls yes
    Left me stranded NO
    Reliability LOADs of problems but sorted by warranty
    Would I buy another,, dispute the shit quality of the parts used with the added insult of a premium price asked, YES I would in a heart beat because it's makes all other brands I've owned in 30 years seem like utility vehicles, problem is with the reliability I will either end up with 90% of a new bike at the end of the warranty due to replacement parts or end up part chopping for a new one with fresh warranty, this is the ball ache, YOU JUST SHOULDNT HAVE THESE SORT OF ISSUES !! More fool me for not leaving the brand but you gotta love um

#27 Franksie, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. I would be worried to the point of spoiling my trips whilst under warranty
    Out of warranty doesn't even bear thinking about..

Sorry but not with a barge pole :dizzy:

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  9. I read all the posts and though, what the hell. Now I have a multi that has required two full engine rebuilds, a new radiator and the clocks have reset; all in the space of 16 months. Latest engine rebuild is out of warranty.

I know it's not the DVT, but it's still the same shit brand. My old 848 had over £1k worth of out warranty work done on it too, one of which being the rad. Radiator was a common fault on the 848 but out of warranty so they wouldn't budge. I'm no longer under their spell and I'll be very relieved when this multi is gone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. There's a common theme there mate. The owner. I have ragged (ask anyone who really knows me) almost every one I have owned which is more than a dozen and yet to really break one.

Sure had niggles but nothing that has stopped a ride other than reg/rec failure or battery

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. As I said, all problems I have had have been common problems experienced by others. To say the common denominator is me, well, I don't ride every Ducati as it rolls off the shop floor.

You may well have ragged every bike you've had. I commuted on mine and do about 10-14k miles a year and they do not last when you ask that of them. Why should a bike not do that, if it's built to last and built right. If they are built to be weekend toys, polished and blow dried after every use, unfortunately they will die early. Unfortunately Ducati do the latter.

• Like Like x 1
  12. It's a fair point actually, I do around 6k miles a year. And my 848s in particular had a very hard time. Although I did have 14k on most bikes when they go

13. JH, I feel for you - honest I do, but my experience is at the other end of the spectrum with similar miles 45K miles over 6 years on 3 multi's. I dont blame you for your comments or indeed your decision but you have to look at the total base of Multi owners some of which dont use this forum. In addition I know that BMW are running at a far higher warranty recall rate than Ducati and their recalls have been major issues requiring loan bikes for extended periods. I hope you get a reliable bike this time irrespective of manufacturer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. @B1stoboy, are BMW running a higher warranty recall rate because they are a more responsible manufacturer and are looking after their customer base better.
    Just wondering that's all ?

15. Also, 6 years on 3 multi's. Try keeping one a while and the issues will rack up. PCP is the worst thing because manufacturers no longer need to care.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. PCP can't be a bad thing, if it breaks, bring it back and stop paying. No?

17. That's my point. In a world of PCP, why make a bike last longer than 3 years? I know they have the buy back figure, but some of those figures are shocking.

18. Would you pay 20k cash for a bike?

19. In theory you are right, if you have real problems and decide to throw it back at the dealer and stop paying I'm not sure where you would stand.
    You have a credit agreement with a separate company so you would end up in a bun fight and with a knackered credit rating.

20. Yes you have an agreement and its in everyones interest not to break the agreement.

Worst case, the engine blows up, you are in warranty, chances are you will fine, unless you totally abused the engine in some way. If out of warranty and the same thing happens, havnt we as consumers, got some protection from the Consumers Rights Act? I know you don't want to end up in court and the risks that will involve.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information